Why God Is Not In Time

Who could possibly know? It seems like a very speculative question about someone who prefers to maintain some mystery.

1 Like

Why God is Not in Time is not a question, it’s the explanation of a conclusion.

There is definitely mystery involved – how does a timeless or ‘timeful’ God relate to those of us in sequential time. I know that he does in my life, and it is very cool, but I don’t know how he does it. The word ‘inscrutable’ is used in translations in two places in the Bible.

I like the idea that all of God’s interactions with us are through a single act, which generates the cosmos, an idea which I term the Logos principle, based on Philo of Alexandria. In this way, God can still interact with us whilst not acting at a ‘particular’ point in time.

1 Like

The title of this this thread is mired in the antiquated idea of absolute time which is no longer supportable in modern physics. This is apparent in the talk of time as if it were something singular. Otherwise the question/statement would instead be… why God is not bound within the measure of space-time of the physical universe. Not only is the presumption of a singular measure of time invalid, but you cannot even separate the measure of time in the physical universe from the measure of space. I am sorry, but the philosophical and theological speculations of Aquinas are completely out of date and rendered invalid by the discoveries of modern physics.

The linked article poses the question of whether God is a temporal being? The false presupposition here is that beings must fall into one of two categories: those bound with this fantasy of absolute time and those things which are not. Of course God is not bound within the space-time of the universe which He created. But at same time, the very fact that God created the universe means that God most certainly is capable of giving events and actions a temporal ordering. Therefore the attempt to make God incapable of temporally ordered thoughts and actions has no logical support and this attempt to make God incapable of the things any person can do such as thought and action is absurd.

The article also relies on the antiquated dichotomy of A&B theories which is also made invalid by the discoveries of modern physics. Things don’t exist in definite states but in superpositions of possible states until a measurement is made. This renders the question of whether the future “exists” or not irrelevant. Whether you say it exists or not doesn’t change the fact that it is a superposition of many possibilities. That is the very thing which distinguishes it as the future rather than the past. God being outside the space-time of the physical universe has no impact whatsoever on future events. It is only an interaction with a superposition which determines which possibilities are realized. So it is only as God participates in the events of the universe that the superposition of possibilities become the actualities of the past. To say that the future is fixed without any possibilities is to exclude God from any interaction with the universe as well.

1 Like

The article doesn’t talk about absolute time at all – it doesn’t even invoke the concept. And what does modern physics teach us about God?

It does not even in the slightest. It says they do not apply.

From what did you infer it says that?

“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” -Colossians 4:6

This is a place for gracious dialogue about science and faith. Please read our FAQ/Guidelines before posting.