Was Abraham Father of the Jews or of Humanity?

Riversea, thank you for your note. I am glad you are healthy now! I am so sorry (As I am sure others are) for your hearing loss and illness. I am glad you have had healing. I have not been following this thread consistently. I don’t know if it helps, but I grew up in west Africa, and Christians there also refer to and address God as Allah in their language. I have never been to the middle east, but I know Christians there have done that for centuries.
Ubangiji Allah (the Lord God) continue to bless you,from all of us.

3 Likes

@Randy thank you so much for your healing words., thank you so much for sharing how Christians also say Allah in their language., this means so much to me., thank you

2 Likes

Oh yes he did!

“Let us look for a young virgin to serve the king and take care of him. She can lie beside him so that our lord the king may keep warm.”

I never said she was 9 years old. I’m not condoning marriage to a 9-year-old. Just adding some perspective.

I think it’s because Abishag wasn’t married to another man; it was merely fornication and not adultery.
So Abishag was fair game.

But back to David and Bathsheba…How did God punish David’s adultery? By killing Bathsheba’s baby!!!

• I’m so relieved you told me that these people call God Allah. I understand you don’t know what’s going on, and that’s ok.

• I hadn’t explored in depth about Jesus, yet I called God Allah. How do Christians see me as?

• I want to understand this more about the name Allah, while also including about Abraham is for humanity

• How sensitive are names of God to people around the world

• What did Jesus think of Abraham, what do people think of Abraham from different areas of the world?

I think that some of this may have been because the ANE focus of identity was so corporate: if you lost your family (especially descendants), you lost your continuity and worth. In fact, you make me think of how they really did value their children. Maybe our culture can learn something from them, even though we say we love our children.

• John 8:48-59.
    • 48 The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?”
      49 Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me.
      50 Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge.
      51 Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”
      52 The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’
      53 Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?”
      54 Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’
      55 But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word.
      56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.”
      57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?”
      58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”
      59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.
2 Likes

I’m not sure of the questions here. In Arabic, to say there are no gods but God, you’d say “la illaha il Allah,” and while I’m not a linguist, I think it just boils down to names. I’m not sure why your mind chose that name. I think that if you seek God with all your heart, whether you know him or not, that’s what He’s looking for. As father has compassion on his children, the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; for He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust. (Psalm 103)

did you mean to address Riversea? I agree. Thanks.

1 Like
  • Perhaps you can, where I can’t.

Lying on the chest to keep the king warm would be a bit different.

1 Like

In legal use there is a difference between adultery and fornication. Adultery is only used when at least one of the parties involved (either male or female) is married, whereas fornication may be used to describe two people who are unmarried (to each other or anyone else) engaging in consensual sexual intercourse.

2 Likes

A rough position for Isaac. Maybe that explains why he was sort of a poor father himself. Not much of an example to follow.

3 Likes

Exactly. Just as I said.

1 Like
  • How come Jews kept thinking Jesus had a demon for?

• What is demon from Christian comprehension compare to adversary from Hebrew comprehension?

• This doesn’t make sense why Jews treated Jesus this way., example going to throw stones.

• What were going through Jews minds when Jesus claim Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am - what was the threat the Jews went through, to throw stones?

• Jesus’s father is everybody’s father already, and Jesus is everybody’s brother, so Jesus is Abraham’s brother: am I understanding correctly?

• If I’m wrong then I’m wrong ok

So David committed adultery because he was married.

You are actually correct. But the biblical writer didn’t consider it adultery because Abishag wasn’t the wife of another man.

The penalty for blasphemy was stoning. The blasphemy was equating Himself to God. “I am” was the name of God given to Moses.

1 Like
  • Another word for poor is dysfunctional, am I understanding correctly?

• Was there a favored child syndrome in Abraham and Sarah’s dynamic dysfunction?

• Are there comparable dynamic patterns that are passed down from generation to generation?

• What are your opinions on Isaac’s problematic features as a father, which were impacted by Rebecca’s favored child syndrome, which was handed down to Jacob and on?

• A pattern favorite child syndrome to second son due to influenced by their wife, through zera (male) side

• How many more patterns similar to this in the bible?

I think I’m psychoanalyzing stories. Which I enjoy doing for some reason. Do you ever psychoanalyze stories?

@bharatjj how do you answer this area

Would it be we’re all I am?