The foundation of our Christian faith is the bible (God's word)

What teachers? Where?

Jesus was preaching the gospel of the coming kingdom. It was good news. (i.e. new) He was not simply reciting the Jewish Scriptures.

1 Like

So when Jesus said, “It is written” “Have you not read”? What was He “reciting”

…And toads are not orange! May be true enough, but what does this have to do with God’s Word, Jesus Christ?

1 Like

You analogy does not work

Red herring. Do you even remember what we are arguing about? You claimed “the word of Christ” equals “Scripture.” I called foul. You are still wrong on that point, and pointing out that Jesus quoted OT Scripture on occasion in no way proves that “the word of Christ” means “the written Scriptures.”

2 Likes

Question. Is the bible the word of God? Yes or no

Is Jesus the word of God? Yes or no

Anyway, it’s been fun. Gotta go but will continue later if anyone is interested. I love stuff like. Always will to learn. God bless :slight_smile:

Do you have any idea how many Greek words can be translated “word” in English, and that each one of those Greek words has a different semantic domain?

I accept the fact that you cry uncle. Have a nice day.

1 Like

Really?! Like I cry uncle about theistic evolution or that Genesis can be taken as literal historical recrd :slight_smile:

“You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me” (John 5:39)

Merv quoted this at you, and if he hadn’t, I was going to. The great irony here is that you are saying, “The Scriptures are the foundation of our faith because they are what tell us about Jesus.” But Jesus, and Merv, and I, all say, “Jesus is the foundation of our faith, and the Scriptures merely point to Him.” That is, in fact, what Jesus is saying, in this verse you quote so ironically.

I do appreciate your presence here, Wookin. Without you and people who think like you, this Forum can occasionally turn into a more boring sort of echo chamber. So I’m sincerely grateful you continue to visit. Hope you enjoy the sparring! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe I said earlier

I wouldn’t know who God is or what He wants from me if I didn’t have scripture. How do you prove the existence of Christ, the resurrection etc… without scripture? It is quite simple. How do we base anything we believe in without scripture? I would say, that is the foundation. Scripture points us to Christ.

Thanks for the kind words friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

You keep asking that.

But you’re begging the question.

Nobody on this site is doing anything at all “without Scripture.” We just read Scripture differently than you do. The fact that you don’t (or refuse to) understand this fact is why you can’t seem to understand how evolutionary creationist thought works.

2 Likes

Trust me, I know. I was one in an ignorant way. I believed in evolution. But when you believe in the inerrancy of scripture, holding scripture to the utmost authority of God’s word. There is zero room for theistic evolution.

Ok Gotta go. Will pick this up later. I am sinning at work. I must do everything to God’s glory by not stealing from my employers.

1 Like

Got a little break.

The reason why I brought up this thread is, because, I labored through an Andy Stanley sermon “The Bible is Not the Foundation of Our Faith-the bible tells me so” at Sunday school. I attend Charles Stanley’s church, and it is not easy being a Calvinist in an Arminian church, but the wife loves him, and so I go, praying that God wills that my wife want to dig deeper into the word or scripture :slight_smile:

Anyway, I just want to see what others think. I, myself never really thought about it. BUT I did not agree with Andy’s view at all. I do like playing the devil’s advocate. And I want to continue our discussion on scripture. I find this topic fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtzDa6dK7Bg

@Wookin_Panub

Did the Bible die for the sins of the world and rise again to give humans eternal life?

Di9d not the Pharisees and the Sadducees believe the Scripture and were still lost?

Jesus Christ is the Alpha and Omega of our faith, the beginning and the end. Salvation is obtained by grace though faith in Jesus Christ alone, and not through Faith in the Bible.

The4 Bible is true because it speaks truthfully about Jesus, not that Jesus is the Messiah/Savior because the Bible says it is so.

Jesus alone is the Word (Logos) of God Who has saved me.

3 Likes

And you wouldn’t know any of that without scripture.

I thought Andy made great points in that sermons and that everyone who fussed about it was intentionally trying to take what he said out of context.

1 Like

Your posts show that you don’t. So I won’t.

“But when you believe in the inerrancy of your own ability to interpret scripture through the lens of 21st century American culture, holding scripture to the utmost authority of God’s word as it is understood to 21st century Americans, there is zero room for theistic evolution.”

There. Fixed it!

2 Likes
  1. Knowledge does not save.

2. Faith in the Bible does not save.

3. Faith in Jesus Christ saves.

4. There are many purported “gospels” or Bibles which do not tell the truth about God and Jesus, and were thus rejected by the Church.

3 Likes

Yes, you forgot Step 1. Evolutionary creationist thought begins with thinking.

Jesus is my foundation. The Bible is the messenger of what Jesus teaches and says.
You yourself have said that if the resurrection of Jesus is proven false that you will not continue being a christian. So clearly Jesus is the foundation of CHRISTianity.
If the Bible is your foundation and you take the literalist reading of the Bible. IMO the foundation has already been broken down.

1 Like