Share your ideas for podcast topics or guests here!

Continuing the discussion from Announcing a BioLogos Podcast!:

This thread is for anyone to share their suggestions for future BioLogos podcasts. I know some of them have already been mentioned in other threads, so if you run across one, please quote it into this thread so we can get them organized in one place. Thanks!

1 Like

Great!
Randal Rauser
Walter Brueggeman,
Jeff Schloss
@glipsnort Steve Schaffner
Mark Noll
@DennisVenema
Pete Enns
Tremper Longman
Justin Barrett
Denis Lamoureux
NT Wright
@TedDavis
John Walton
Michael Heiser
Richard Mouw
Rachel Held Evans
Kevin Vanhoozer
Michael Bird
@Kathryn_Applegate
Deborah Haarsma
Francis Collins
Nathan Lents
@Joel_Duff
Beverly Gaventa
Nyasha Junior
Scot McKnight
Greg Boyd
Thomas Jay Oord
@RyanBebej
Richard Middleton

It may even be helpful to interview those who don’t agree with Biologos–Wayne Grudem, JP Moreland, Hugh Ross, Ann Gauger, Stephen Meyer?; Nathaniel Jeanson–say, with Tremper Longman, from a theological perspective?

I’d be interested in hearing from Tim Keller since he’s on the fairly conservative side of evangelicalism.

I agree with Randy that Joel Duff and Pete Enns would be great guests to have as well. And Rachel Held Evans… trying to think of more from my generation but drawing a blank, sadly.

2 Likes

Todd Wood would be interesting also. It would be good to have a YEC with his credentials and level of respect speak.

3 Likes

C. John “Jack” Collins - Covenant Seminary
Andy Crouch - Templeton Foundation
April Cordero - Point Loma Nazarene University
Darrel Falk - “Coming to Peace with Science”
Tom Ingebritsen - Iowa State (http://www.public.iastate.edu/~tsingebr/homepage.html)
William Hoyt - University Northern Colorado (Ph.D. Oceanography)
Randy Isaac - American Scientific Affiliation

1 Like

Simon Conway Morris I´d like to hear

1 Like

Mark Noll
J Richard Middleton
Neil Degrasse Tyson (one can dream but he might have a conversation with Dr Haarsma)

1 Like

Harvey McMahon, a neurobiologist from Cambridge, the topic should be either about free will or about the enhancement of faith through science. He wrote as a guest author at scienceandbelief. The first time I read about him was about his study about free will here:
https://scienceandbelief.org/2016/10/06/freewill-and-the-brain-choices-constraints-and-community/

I´d argue that most, if not all here would agree even from a purely experiencial standpoint.

1 Like

Many excellent suggestions already stated. I second @Laura with a vote for Keller since he’s one of the prominent voices in the PCA which historically has not been excited about an EC view.

3 Likes

Nobody’s mentioned Josh Swamidass… should be on the list.

@Jon_Garvey

I was wondering if a “high minded” podcast could touch on the greater issue at play here - - instead of
disputing a broad range of topics from origins of primates and other mammalian groups to the significance of Original Sin, I think @swamidass is a logical candidate for discussing “The Theological Bottleneck”!

As we know, Joshua is focusing on building a “theological perspective” on Evolution where Creationists get to have the “special creation” of Adam and Eve accepted (or tolerated) in the same way that Science professionals don’t stir up a fuss over the issue of Jesus being “miraculously born”, or “miraculously resurrected”.

The “miracle” of just two humans being created just a valley away from a large human population, also created by God, but by Evolutionary processes, seems inconsequential if it leads to new generations of less extreme Creationists who are inclined to want to accept the mountain of evidence supporting Evolution - - as long as it doesn’t jeopardize their Christianity!

To many of us examining this particular angle, especially to me, I find there is less to dispute with a Creationist regarding this particular scenario.

In the “old days” I used to tangle over topics like “historical Adam/Eve” vs. “Original Sin” vs. the entire Christian apparatus of Redemption and Atonement. But now, if a Creationist insists on Original Sin, I say, “Sure, no problem!” You can have Original Sin if you want, or you can skip if you are like other denominations. It’s not a barrier any more.

So, instead of Romans 5 being a virtually insurmountable “bottleneck” in most of my debates with Creationists, I don’t have to wrestle with turning my audience’s mental depiction of Adam/Eve from literally 2 humans into a figurative image of “2 ideal humans”.

And from this, the discussions are usually much less heated, and we now have the time to go over new ground. A topic that is becoming increasingly more common is the one where Noah’s Flood is seen as more regional than universal…

I just hope it’s not more of the same old same old. Getting very tired of Adam, Genesis 1 and 2, etc.

2 Likes

Great point
I am not sure of topics to suggest. Which would you suggest?

You do have a point, Beaglelady. We do get fixated an a very narrow and limited area. Perhaps we need to move on a bit further and spend more time on the Christian life and the impact of science and scientific thought.

2 Likes

I enjoyed @RyanBebej’s paper. Maybe more science in general too? @glipsnort could share on his research?

I’ll have some suggestions for speakers and topics in a bit. Thank you.

1 Like

And on that note, maybe we could hear from some ordinary, run-of-the-mill people who don’t have degrees in science or theology but still have to reconcile science and faith in their everyday lives.

3 Likes

Hm good idea; maybe incorporate a discussion with an educator or an audience Q&A even?
Our moderators may be really good at that, having discussed things with many on this podcast; @Jay313, @Laura, @Christy, @pevaquark, @jpm

1 Like

@Kathryn_Applegate
I think that you (and any other of the development team who wants to) should do a podcast on the need for and vision of BioLogos Integrate for Christian school teachers/homeschoolers and the students they teach.

It would also be interesting to me to talk with some EC homeschoolers or Christian school teachers about their challenges and things they’ve learned relating to both students and parents in their communities.

I think some kind of panel of Christian college science majors who grew up Creationist and are transitioning in their views and some Christian science professors would also be good for a certain demographic of the audience.

I would love to hear Phillip Yancey talk about how “vanishing grace” applies to discussing faith/science issues with both non-Christians and those who are not EC.

But my most favorite idea would be to get singer/song-writer/author Andrew Peterson to come talk about how he incorporates the hope of a New Creation and a deeply biblical eschatological perspective into his songs and writing. (See here for an excellent compilation of examples.)

2 Likes

A long time ago, I read a book (that has been fairly influential in certain circles) called Sacred Pathways. Two of the “spiritual temperaments” discussed are “naturalists,” those who love God outdoors, and “intellectuals,” those who love God with their minds.

I would be very interested in a guest who specializes in spiritual formation (it is now a discipline of study at many seminaries and Christian colleges) who could speak to how people with those orientations could pursue their connection with God and spiritual wholeness through their interactions with the natural world and through study. I think BioLogos attracts a lot of naturalists and intellectuals, and the spiritual formation needs of those types are often not understood or addressed in many churches.

2 Likes