Share your ideas for podcast topics or guests here!

Would Jewish people be welcome?

1 Like

I’m still wondering if BL would be interested in Jewish guests.

I’m gonna bet that if they are willing to interview nonChristians, they’ll be fine with this. I’m not sure if their sponsors want them to stay within Christian variations only or not, though. I imagine that starting out they will be narrow, and then expand. Onscript and Pete Enns interview nonbelievers (Jews and others among them; of course, Jewish background is very helpful for OT interpretation), but that may be something that is developing as they expand.

My guess, anyway.

1 Like

To expand on possible podcast topics–I have recently been reviewing old posts from Biologos from the last few years, and found a treasure trove of information. It’s not just science, but biblical interpretation–and not only from Genesis. I think that reviewing these may help give ideas for topics to expand on, too. Does anyone have a favorite post from @DennisVenema, @TedDavis etc that they’d recommend a) to develop for the podcast or b) to new visitors to Biologos to read on, based on what they’ve learned from them?

I was hoping to get into new topics and new guests. We’ve had numerous, excellent posts on Adam, evolution, and related topics. Too numerous, I would say.

1 Like

I guess I might be the only one but I could always go for more Adam.

3 Likes

Like @jasonbourne4, I’d like to keep learning about evolution and proper biblical exegesis, though there may be scope for other things, too, for those more advanced (like @beaglelady and most of the others who have been here a longer time). I joined about 1 year ago and, having been saturated initially in YEC and then found (like a breath of fresh air) a way to understand both science and the Bible better, I am still learning. the basics. Lamoureux planted, Biologos watered–and so on. I think there are lots of others who have not yet gotten to this stage, even–say, other YECs, OECs, and those who are starting EC at a basic level, who may be the majority attracted initially to the podcast. I do think we need expansion into wider levels for the more advanced (meat instead of milk), though. I think I will appreciate that more as time goes on, too. Thanks.

2 Likes

I’ve been here since the very beginning. As I recall this blog was originally hosted by Beliefnet. Even Francis Collins remembers beaglelady!!

2 Likes

Wow! Neat, @beaglelady.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We’re really excited about this new venture for us. We’re doing a bit of experimenting now with different formats for the episodes, and expect to release the first batch publicly at our conference in March. Before that, though, we plan to round up some test audiences to give us some feedback, and you all would be great candidates for that.

We don’t envision the podcast to be merely audio versions of our web resources. We’re hoping to present interesting conversations with a wide variety of people, on a wide variety of topics (though somehow related to faith and science). So you’ll get some of the usual suspects (Francis Collins will be our first guest!), but we hope to branch out beyond them. Of course many of the interviewees will be onboard with BioLogos, but we also plan on having (gracious!) dialogue with people who disagree with us.

4 Likes

Maybe some topics could focus in using science for Christian education on these science faith topics.

3 Likes

Is it going to be for the most part white male evangelicals?

@jstump, will you have any posters or email flyers we can put up or send? I would like to let my YEC family and friends know it’s a good place to discuss faith and science. Thanks.

those would be “some of the usual suspects” but “we hope to branch out beyond them.”

1 Like

Yes, after the first of the year we’ll start doing some of that kind of promotion. Thanks.

1 Like

I have enjoyed these “my favorite fossil” posts: so very personal but also light-hearted, celebratory, not angst-ridden or full of conflict resolution.

I think that one of the things that YEC folks typically assume is that most of paleontology is guesswork, imagining entire animals from isolated pieces of a finger. I think there is a lot of “armchair paleontology” that goes on. This is why I think it’s great to hear from actual Christian paleontologists with field experience (like Ryan Bebej or Daryl Domning or others) because immediately when they begin talking about their finds, you can’t help but get the sense, “This person knows what they’re talking about and I’m actually out of my league… I couldn’t do this, and I can’t tell (for instance) a crocodilian bone from a cetacean bone like they can.”

If anything, I think it would be great to lean further into this vein in a podcast or other format. (I imagine some limited visual component would be even more helpful, which sadly isn’t available in the podcast medium.) I’d love for a presentation to actually sort of — in an accessible, popular way — overwhelm me with what the process of paleontological discovery actually looks like. I can’t help but think that some YEC folks would listen to that and say, “Wow, here I thought this was just a bunch of atheist scientists going rock hunting and drawing pretty drawings to imagine what something might have looked like… it never occurred to me how much care and expertise goes into this! And being done by Christians, no less! Who knew!”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.