Is this the end?

That is a comfort, thank you very much.

I’ll add that I know someone very well who is brilliant. She’s the smartest person I’ve ever known. She is a scientist/therapist engaged full time on the front lines working directly with patients who have contracted covid.
It kills and it kills slowly and agonizingly. It does not kill everyone. For those who survive a serious bout, they may suffer complications long term. At least there is a growing body of evidence suggesting this is an expected outcome.
An expert is referred to at the begining of this thread. He believes if we don’t get Covid under control by the winter, there’s an excellent chance that the next variant will be the deadlist yet.

1 Like

That’s a silly argument.

1. How many people died from guns in USA on the typical year? Not counting suicides. Like 11,000 people or something.

How many died from covid in a year in USA? Half a million.

That alone shows just how much more death masks, vaccines and social distancing can help prevent.

The other difference is that most people, even those who own guns, even most military members who went ofer seas, and most cops , never have to shoot their guns outside of training. But everyone needs to wear masks.

Another big difference is about defense versus offense.

The difference is not a perceived level of risk. If it was, based off of deaths, people wearing masks going out in a public with many who don’t and reject vaccines are more likely
To get themselves or a loved one sick and die than from being shot.

1 Like

From what I have read, the Lambda variant is more contagious, and has some resistance to vaccine an prior infection antibodies, but still is covered fairly well. It has also remained a minor player despite being around a while, Other variants are going to come along, but I am optimistic.

1 Like

Mi Krumm,
Yes, the numbers of deaths are quite different.

The concept was what I was trying to point out:

1. people who take the vaccine and wear masks are protecting themselves and others;
  2. trained good people who carry weapons and are willing to use them to stop evildoers are protecting themselves and others.

Concept not magnitude was my point.

I hope that clarifies.

Also: it is a noteworthy difference that few or no people are chided or shamed for not carrying a weapon.

AY.3, which is one of the offspring of delta, is showing some sign of being able to edge out the parental delta variant but it’s too soon to tell.

So carry a gun , because unlike most military members, most cops, and most gun owners you probably won’t ever use it in your life but wear a mask because every time you step outdoors and get around others you’ll be helping to curb a pandemic.

99.99% of people won’t use a gun to kill a bad guy.
100.00% of people need to wear masks every day to prevent being a bad guy.

2 Likes

I see very few people wearing masks at church and in stores. I don’t view the unmasked as bad guys. They are making a choice.

Perhaps many have weighed the probabilities of their giving/receiving the virus against the long-term risk they perceive in the loss of personal freedoms.

How does being made to wear pants in public square with a person’s personal freedom?

1 Like

Pants cover genitalia, as is considered appropriate by almost all societies (save a few primitive tribes, perhaps) for reasons other than health.

Did you mean burqa? (That seems a more appropriate comparison, as face covering is the topic, but I don’t like answering hyperbole with hyperbole. Can we avoid that?)

Exactly. You obey government mandates for public health and safety. But you xould drive on the left if you wanted to demonstrate your freedom.

“It ok if you don’t see that the parallel” is a poor one. Comparing protecting against a contagious disease is not comparable to protecting against gun violence. Protecting against airborne contagion is everyone’s job, no training or permits required. It should be mandated, not that it could work in your state (or mine*), just like which side of the road you drive on.

What he said.

Sure. Don’t answer.

*The pandemic is over, dontcha know – by gubernatorial declaration.

Some other interesting maps.

https://www.espatial.com/maps/us-education-dataset-interactive-map-of-us-population-by-education-level

Anyone see any trends? It’s almost as if the unhealthiest , uneducated masses are predominantly found with red states…. And by red states I mean the color used in the maps…. Ehhh it’s also where the majority of non masking anti vaxxers are concentrated along with where the covid outbreaks are ehappening…

1 Like

The unvaccinated and unmasked are condemning growing numbers of little children to disease, maybe life-long disabilities or death. They are making ignorant choices and you should consider them that. In terms of public health, they’re driving on the left side of the road. Oh, but they’re making a free choice. Nice.

Yes, but I don’t think we were talking about government mandates.

You are again conflating government mandates (the proper side of the road for driving) with decisions which are at the discretion of the citizen.

Childhood obesity can also lead to health problems in children. But there are different opinions on the appropriateness of government mandating whatever requirements (on childhood obesity) the current administration deems necessary.

I suppose it is a trade off between health and freedom, and there will always be disagreements on that.

It again appears the positions are adequately presented and there is little benefit to further discussion. Simply agreeing to disagree is the better path.

If I remember, I will report back on the number of masks I see at church today.

In church now waiting for the start. 4 masks; hundreds of smiling faces

But the pastor hinted the rules may change soon. He said, “we will make sure that we have made everyone angry before this is over.”

I am so conflating.

People get angry at lowered speed limits and bikers at helmets. What’s your point?

1 Like

Signs in the heavens.
Check out the unusual display in Hawaiian skies.

For me, the end is when I’m below ground. But then again, it is only the beginning. In terms of eschatology, I don’t dabble with that because no one will know the exact hour. What I can do is follow Christ’s commandments to the best of my own abilities, love others, and make the best of the life we have serving Him, being an example for others to see.

6 Likes

Actually… NO.

It is a particular culture which is so unhealthy and that culture is indeed very conservative. But you can find a another sector of the united states which is conservative but also healthy. And the most liberal area is not any more healthy than this other conservative area. After all I am in Utah and that state is in that other sector of the US. You are barking up the wrong tree. It’s the next tree over to the south.