Wondering about the scales that fell from Paul’s eyes and it’s implications

I can handle “pushback” just fine, I rather enjoy it.

Id just like to see the guidelines followed if theres to be guidelines

1 Like

I don’t think so. After reading several articles, and reading about the geography and the actual name the island and how it seems it was not changed until around the 1600s. Make a lot more sense.

1 Like

@SkovandOfMitaze
Not sure what you are saying makes sense.
Or how which island is involved fundamentally changes the story.

You “ don’t think so” regarding “wrong kind of snake or else
wrong behavior”?
Why?

First of all one island has a venomous snake that’s not venomous to harm us. The other island has several species of venomous snakes including a viper. Additional each of these islands are potentially opened up for sea snakes. Sea snakes occasionally wash up on islands. Especially during a storm. There are several reasons why a venomous snake could have ended up on the island. I bet viper just means deadly venomous. They probably don’t have phrases to tell the difference between a pit viper, a sea snake or a species like a coral snake.

You keep mentioning behavior…. What behavior. Some snakes like mud snakes almost never bite. Some try to bite but typically have to small of A mouth to really hurt you like rough green tree snakes. Some bite often and bite hard but are not venomous like coachwhips. Some snakes are venomous but has such low venom they don’t harm us like corn snakes. Some are venomous enough to harm us but typically won’t bite you even if you’re close to them like water moccasins. Some snakes are more venomous and more likely to bite you for being near them like larger desert rattlesnakes.

But almost all of these snakes would bite you if you stepped on them or tried to pick them up, even if it was on accident. So the habit of the snake is not questionable. Paul accidentally grabbed a venomous snake and bit him. The behavior is not an issue. I’ve picked up hundreds , if not close to a thousand snakes so far spread out over around 30 species. I’ve been bitten a bunch. Especially in the last few years since I’ve been going after snakes 3 feet and larger typically and isolating them in holes and using camera lights to see what species are there before reaching in blindly to get it gently without harming it.
So the behavior is perfectly in line .
Each island is open up the random stray sea snake that thst is venomous. One of the islands has some venomous snakes on it including a viper and this island seems to be more in line geographically that they landed on. Based off where they left, where they was headed, and the direction of currents and storms. The links line it out pretty well. Later on In the week, or month I can dedicate a few hours to getting a more detailed concept of the currents and species.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I see no reason not to take the story at face value. A miracle, or sign and wonder, points toward God, and Paul’s experience certainly qualifies. Maybe it was a dry bite or nearly so, but still was no less a sign to his fellow travelers.

@SkovandOfMitaze

You speak of islands. Do you mean to include all of the
Mediterranean islands as possibilities?
I know that such as Montpelier’s snake are rear fanged, inclined to
chew (cling), and pose no risk to people.
If one of those bit Paul, then the point of the story, Divine
protection is moot.

There are no sea snakes in the Mediterranean.

The only dangerous snakes possible are vipers.

So, IF Paul somehow managed to pick up a snake and carry it
around without noticing he had a snake, and IF such snake
didn’t get around to biting until there was an audience then
we still have the snake behaving unlike any other viper.

The behavior described is absolutely not in line with that of any viper.

It is very simple basic knowledge of animal behavior to know that a viper bite is very fast. Note that it puts the animal at much greater risk
to do otherwise (cling) besides being unnecessary.
I don’t know why you are looking for ways to make a story of such
extraordinary improbability seem plausible. Prease exprain.

None of what i said raises the faintest glimmer of doubt aboit detail of the story?

I’ve answered which island already twice. The links no rain the info and reasoning.

You mentioned “islands”.

If you’ve settled on just one, that makes it easier.

So, an actual viper. That solves part of one problem.
Sorry, i dont know what the thing about links and rain means

Around post 32/33 I posted two websites links in the posts. I mentioned the name of the island. You responded with wrong island and I stated why I believe there is evidence for thst island being the right one.

When I use the term link I mean I copy and pasted a websites address into the comments.

And you claimed "sea snakes "

Lets just take it from here- i can accept that an island other
than that identified in the bible has vipers, and could be the correct one.

There COULD haven even been a cobra.

Im looking at a series of extreme improbabilities

Like, mistaking a snake for a stick, picking it up without
noticing its a snake.
You figure that is more or less likely than "dog ate my homework "?

I don’t think he mistook a sticks for a snake. Could he have? Depending on the time they landed on the island.

However, like most people , he probably was picking up sticks and a snake was in them, where they often are and live. I see people standing next to snakes balled up all the time. Which is the typical form they take when you’re scaring them. I’ve picked up lots of sticks, and boards and there is a snake under it or next to it. If a storm that came by, could be debris all over the place. Snakes are often balled up under leaves debris trying to be warm. You can scoop up a bunch of leaves and a snake is there.

1 Like

Internet is too slow where I am. But the island they think that it actually was is definitely prime snake habitat. It’s heavily forested with lots of rocks, hills and ect…

Nor does the Bible ever claim any such thing.

It was something “like” ( ὡς - Particle: as, like, while, that) scales that fell…

Not to mention, the word translated “scale” is rather broad in meaning, and could be translated flake, scale, shell, rind, crust, or incrustation…. One place in the Old Testament it is even translated “plates”.

λεπίδες λεπίς Noun fem plur nom flake, scale

[Analytics]
λεπίδες (1x) λεπίς (1x)

[Mounce Greek Dictionary]
gk G3318 | s G3013 λεπίς lepis 1x
a scale, shell, rind, crust, incrustation, Acts 9:18*
± mounce | niv | esv | hcsb | nrsv | nkjv | kjv

I once sat by a little shrine in Sai Kung and didnt at first notice a
large cobra.
BUT- i say it is very unlikely one would pick up a viper, thinking its a stick.
Still less likely one could be carrying around, oblivious to the
difference.
And not get bitten.

Possible, sure, but the string of improbables doesnt end there.

The story as told is essentially impossible, with such as hypothetical sea snakes from the Indian ocean introduced as possible “explanations”.

Kinda tells what a stretch it is to find reason to believe it.

There is nothing crazy about the story.

Paul landed on a island with a venomous snake species. He was kicking up wood which had a venomous snake hiding in it. It bit him.

Not only is that not crazy it’s common. People get bitten now picking up sticks and lumber that has snakes in it.

The like, versus same as, has no implication what so ever on the verse, or the story.

When you change the story enough, and leave out details you can make anything plausible.

What details are being left out in whatever story you are stuck on cornering my post?

Have your thread to yourself