Why is religion on the decline?

I have been surprised (naively probably) that as obvious numbers of people in the US have left Christianity, there has been growth in other religions and spiritualities. I had assumed people leaving the church would mean people were leaving religion and any kind of faith. But I was wrong. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense. It also brings up questions I would prefer to ignore.

2 Likes

The trouble with the decline of traditional church attendance is the increase in unmentored folk religion. It has always been thus in America, hence the waves of revival.

I agree. But I wonder if you think there is s more rational or effective alternative? I think there are alternatives with lower cognitive dissonance but they may be less effective for keeping that yearning present and a priority. On the other hand there are theological approaches which transform the yearning to ego stoking triumphalism, which toss the baby out with the bath water every bit as much as does atheism.

2 Likes

No Mark. We’re too Hum(e)an!

Are you including under the umbrella of “unmentored folk religion” American forms of Christianity that are not part of structured denominations? I’m guessing that you are. But I don’t think that that explains enough.

I had considered including my extremely limited and old (1987–1991) observation of similar trends in German-speaking countries. I will now.
By the time I was there hoards had left the churches, and while I knew plenty of agnostics (who were, I think actually sentimental atheists) and professing atheists, I was surprised by the interest in and broad participation in, what at the time was new agey spirituality.
People in cultures more steeped in rational traditions, which functioned alongside and even valued highly structured forms of Christianity, seemed just as apt to follow unmentored folk religions, although with no reference to christianity, as I have seen here.

I think, although based on limited knowledge which I’m more than willing to acknowledge, the sociobiological phenomenon you mentioned is more widely observable than only in the U.S.

1 Like

Oh aye, religion being universal means it must be sociobiological. As evangelicalism declines in America, then more feral, libertarian-fascist forms of ‘spirituality’ arise.

1 Like

Hey, Missy:
Don’t you have homework to do? :laughing:

I’m no authority on the matter, but … I read:

• “Scholars have proposed that Church institutions decline in power and prominence in most industrialized societies, except in cases in which religion serves some function in society beyond merely regulating the relationship between individuals and God.”
  • My guess is: the “scholars’ proposal” has some truth to it, which is why I think it’s relevant to ask the “No-Choice folks”: "What’s your plan or your church’s plan to do something more than just “regulate the relationship between individuals and God”? Something bold? Maybe like caring for involuntarily pregnant mothers of children that they aren’t able or willing to take care of and the children, … from conception.
2 Likes

You’ve gotten me to reread some Hume in hopes of fully unpacking thus quip of yours which I like but suspect is at least partially eluding me.

1 Like

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them.

1 Like

Still it is passion preventing one from seeing what pure reason can and cannot tell about the world.

Which I take to be the assertion that the abstracted fruits of rationality must always be returned to the contemplative wisdom of our entire being for final judgement. When, where and how to apply logic is what reason is all about.

1 Like

Judgement of how we’re doing in caring and being fair now is all we need.

1 Like

It’s interesting to observe where and when someone presumes upon the judgment of another.

Why is it that liberal Christians so often neglect the first and great commandment?

2 Likes

If this is true, it seems essential (at least to me) to understand how our driving passions can be rightly oriented and carried out.
I understand the word ‘rightly’ is problematic. It’s the one I have to use though.

1 Like

Why do you assume this? Obedience to the greatest command is evidenced by obedience to the second. James is clear that the second is required evidence for the first.
It is however not proof.

2 Likes

Aye, we should be passionate about the lack of social justice = equality of outcome; unfairness which does all the harm we know.

1 Like

The more people don’t believe in something they believe in anything.

3 Likes

That’s my impression. I could be wrong. Loving people does not nullify the first commandment.

1 Like

What do you mean?