Why I Never Had a Faith Crisis Over Science

Science is a growing factor in people leaving church, doubting God, and dropping away from their faith altogether. But it doesn’t have to be this way!

4 Likes

I never had a faith crisis over science because I started with science and never accepted anything in Christianity contrary to science.

Why should we accept the things contrary to science any more than we should accept things contrary to morality and common decency? Should we embrace examples of priests molesting children and say that is the way it should be just because it is part of what we find in Christianity?

Yet it doesn’t have to be this way! Christian beliefs can actually support the investigation of God’s creation

Indeed, and the statistics just means people are ripe for a revival when religion can get up to speed in terms of both science and morality.

P.S. This is not to say that religion needs to just accept morality as dictated by society. Religion can also lead the way in looking for a better standard of morality than what is commonly accepted.

4 Likes

Enjoyed the article, and as from that same general era, relate to it a lot. My seminal moment came when in high school growing up on the farm, we drilled an irrigation well into the Ogallala aquifer and pumped up “clam shells” from 400 feet below the High Plains of Texas My dad looked at them and commented on how there must have been ages unknown to us buried below. That gave me permission to see the world not as a known entity, but rather to feel awe of those amazing things I did not yet understand. It was still a conflict in education looking at comparative anatomy and reconciling it with the literalistic interpretations at church, but I was able to do so fairly uneventfully. I would have had an easier time with that class had I not had that conflict, but made it through it anyway.

9 Likes

It is not because of science that people leave the church but because of church. A religious institution that tries to please its followers by becoming yes wo/men to society isn’t worthwhile the membership fee. There are better value for money memberships in the pool for having your wishes fulfilled and reaching sexual satisfaction.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Just found BioLogos and have questions

So because the church keeps its nose out of people’s sex lives, they’re leaving?

So this isn’t true in fundamentalist America (it isn’t true in the Olde Worlde of course, apart from the Church being sexist and homophobic, which is, of course, about scientific issues)?

In research over a decade ago, Barna asked millennials who grew up in the church why they left. Although respondents gave several reasons, 29% said “churches are out of step with the scientific world we live in” and 25% said “Christianity is anti-science.”

In 2018, Barna surveyed the next generation (GenZ), the teenagers currently attending church, and science was an even larger concern: 53% agreed that “the church seems to reject much of what science tells us about the world.” And in 2019, Barna surveyed young people all over the globe, asking them why they doubt things of a spiritual dimension, and found that “science” was one of the top reasons they doubt, second only to “hypocrisy of religious people” and even greater than “human suffering.” Science is a growing factor in people leaving church, doubting God, and dropping away from their faith altogether.

Hypocrisy is the greatest reason. What form does that take in the minds of the smart young I wonder? What hypocrisy do they see? What hypocrisy is there in the Church being dragged kicking and screaming in to the 1960s?

“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” -Colossians 4:6

This is a place for gracious dialogue about science and faith. Please read our FAQ/Guidelines before posting.