Why I’m a Cessationist ( yes it’s longish for a post )

I suspect that what you believe is divine intervention is coincidence, cause and effect and the result of scientific processes.

Are you familiar with Maggie’s account, and Rich Stearns’? They’ve been around here a while.

Thanks for posting this, Christy. That article pretty much sums up my own thoughts about cessationism fairly nicely.

When I hear cessationist arguments in general, the phrase that comes to my mind is “throwing out the baby with the bathwater.” People such as John MacArthur rightly get concerned by the flakiness in some Charismatic circles, but respond by jumping to the conclusion that it must all be flaky. But that doesn’t necessarily follow. Once you’ve stripped away all the flaky stuff, there is a core that remains that (as far as I can tell at least) is pretty genuine. Back in the seventies and eighties, Charismatic leaders came up with a phrase “The correct response to misuse is not disuse, but proper use” in response to people who would have us throw the whole lot out on those grounds. I think that phrase is every bit as relevant to discussions such as this today as it was back then.

4 Likes

@jammycakes and @Christy and others I’ve missed naming, thanks for providing a perspective I am not very familiar with. “Raised cessationist” with core skeptic and materialistic tendencies to start with, it is natural for me to lump ALL experiences into the category of nonsense or abuse. Bad experiences with charismatics and family connections to Bethel’s SSM have nearly sealed the deal for me. But the Lord has always put this or that genuine, humble person with experiences of the Holy Spirit’s intervention in my life. So, whatever my doubts are, I have never been free to say, “No, I am certain that that experience is just endorphins.”
I value hearing from @jammycakes, because of your consistantly expressed concern that belief and reality correspond.
I dispise the charletans and abusers. And I am still highly skeptical. I can’t help that. But I recognize, too, that my skepticism is not proof of anything but the existance of my skepticism.

3 Likes

I’m not but a quick Google search shows he’s a compassionate guy.

1 Like

I was referring to these: Maggie’s testimony and how the direction of Rich Stearns’ life was changed.

The existence of con men does not disprove the existence of people who do have spiritual gifts.

Those of us who have seen the miraculous workings of God in people we know are less likely to be cessationists, but an unwillingness to recognize the possibilities may make a person blind to the miracles.

1 Like

I have read the summary, not every post but will throw in my h’appence.

I not only believe in spiritual; gifts I have had them. (I have not found them necessarily permanent)

I have healed (not personal glory as previously mentioned) and have had several experiences with apparent spiritual duplication (AKA feeding of the five thousand bit not always food or drink).

I can understand skepticism as, unless you are there at the time, any account is secondhand at best and may or may not require you to believe the teller…

I have attended Charismatic churches who sing in the spirit and have certain doubts on the actual spirituality of that, but the use of tongues appeared to be genuine.

Acts 2 was unique as a counterpoint to Babel and does not appear to be the normal expression of tongues. (IMHO)

It makes for a difficult discussion depending on your personal experiences and your view of Miracles and the Holy Spirit in general.

For now, just lump me in with those who disagree with Cessationism.

Richard

PS I do not think that Scripture can or should be used to try and prove Cessationism.

1 Like

Everything is fully, naturally, explicable in shared narratives. One of the tricks psychopaths learn is to pretend to be empathic. Even without knowing that they are. That’s what makes them so dangerous. It is never necessary to ascribe any experience to the supernatural, and won’t work in court, history, science. It works in folk. A kind unknowingly self-deceived charlatan will make a lot of friends. Whether the kindness is ‘real’ or not.

Yeah, we have been here before. You do not like supernatural miracles. The trouble is I have actually witnessed them so it makes me sort of biased. And I do not need people like you to tell me that I am either delusional or mistaken, i know what I have seen. And it is more than once.
There is a general notion that if you don’t want t see something you will not, even if it is right in front of you…

Sorry and all that.

Richard

1 Like
  • @SkovandOfMitaze: “Biblical cessationism means recognizing that the Bible teaches that the spiritual powers given through the laying on of the apostles hands have ceased …” [Source: PM thread “Arguing about cessationism”.]
  • Terry_Sampson’s rebuttal:
    • “Biblical Young Earth Creationism means recognizing that the Bible teaches that the Earth was created in six days and is less than 10,000 years old.”
    • “A Biblical Doctrine of Original Sin means recognizing that the Bible teaches that humans inherit the moral turpitude of the first humans.”
    • “Biblical Sabbatarianism means recognizing that the Bible teaches that the Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday and ends at sundown on Saturday during which time no work shall be done.”
    • “Biblical dispensationalism means recognizing that the Bible teaches that biblical history was divided by God into dispensations, defined periods or ages to which God has allotted distinct covenants or administrative principles.”
    • “Biblical Reformed Calvinism means recognizing that the Bible teaches that the Bible is the inerrant and infallible ‘Word of God’ and requires full submission to the Bible above all else.”
    • Here, I quote Jeff Straub who wrote: “It should be noted that from a historical standpoint, nearly all world Charismaticism is rooted in early American Pentecostal sources that have been exported around the world.” [Source: Reflections on Strange Fire and the Problem of Continuationism
    • How does one recognize truth in what is false but is believed to be true?
1 Like

I love supernatural miracles (are there any other kind, apart from as metaphor in medicine and technology?). Your bias is what witnessed miracles. Mine couldn’t.

Sorry.

Some biases are correct. Think Maggie and Rich Stearns – they both witnessed miracles, as have I. And what is marvelous is that the miracles did not break any laws of nature, but they all had preternatural timing and placing. Like the Man in a boat on Galilee in a storm who said something and the storm suddenly stopped – the denialist would say that it wasn’t a miracle, it was just a coincidence, a statistical outlier, an x sigma lottery win.

Tell me. Are you prepared to accept the possibility of something that might seem supernatural?

If not God won’t push it. I have found that god works within our own limitations. IOW if you do not believe, you will never see.

Trouble is, the first step is a big one. A bit like using a parachute. You need to trust it first.

Richard

It seems sometimes cessationists base their view, at least in part, on a complete and perfect Bible, which requires them to ignore the few minor but clear errors in scripture.

And the cessationists who have had the opportunity to see miracles had to ignore those events too.

I periodically get newsletters from the Jesus Film Project, a unit of Cru (formerly known as Campus Crusade for Christ), and in those I read of many miracles. I don’t think these newsletters are spreading lies. And, as I have mentioned, I have seen the supernatural actions of God in family members and friends.

This one doesn’t.

Why not? Obviously nobody does.

I am not sure that it is even appropriate to claim the apostles had supernatural powers.

I doubt they did.

Instead, the Apostles performed supernatural acts when moved to do so by the Holy Spirit.

The difference may seem subtle, but it isn’t really.

A creature with a supernatural power can do supernatural things “on demand” or as the person chooses.

A person who can do supernatural things when moved by the Holy Spirit to do supernatural things may not be able to do those supernatural things whenever he chooses.

It is a possible difference to consider.

6 Likes

I am reading the book ‘The case for miracles’ by Lee Strobel. I have read about half the book and so far, it has presented much evidence for miracles. I recommend the book for anyone interested about miracles happening in modern times.

Strobel recommended the book ‘Miracles’ by Graig Keener as the best theological book written about miracles. I bought the book but have not yet read it. It is a two-volume book having much pages, 3049. I read that this text was originally intended as a footnote to Keeners commentary on Acts (a huge four-volume commentary) but Keener decided to write a separate book after he noted that the footnote exceeded 200 pages. Keener seems to be a thorough theologian.

There seems to be strong evidence that prayers by “born-again” Christians have a significant positive effect on healing, even published peer-reviewed studies.
A cessationist might say that God answers prayers, although the apostolic gifts have ended. I don’t know if this is a relevant difference. Maybe after reading the book by Keener I have a better understanding about the difference.

Evidence that sick are healed during prayers in a miracle-like way do not mean that all sick are healed by prayers. Most sick, even believers, do not experience a sudden healing. I guess that is why miracle-like healings are called ‘miracles’. Why some are healed and others not, that is something I do not know.

5 Likes

Spiritual healing is not just a case of a quick prayer. I can barely cover it in a twenty-minute sermon. Suffice it to say that the final say is God.s so we will not always understand it.

Richard

2 Likes