What's on your gift list? 2021 edition

Maybe that one should be saved for Valentine’s Day… could find a lot of odd material from SOS there.

I have a few books on my list that have come up on the forums somewhere or other… “Born to Wonder,” “Friend of Science, Friend of Faith,” “The Manifold Beauty of Genesis one.” Also “Where the Light Fell” (Philip Yancey’s memoir), and “Phantastes” by George MacDonald (which has come up in a few different places for me). Also, a book by a neurosurgeon called “I’ve seen the end of you” which sounds really interesting, and “Turning of Days” by Hannah Anderson.

3 Likes

Climate, Catastrophe, and Faith: How Changes in Climate Drive Religious Upheaval

By Phillip Jenkins

A great cautionary tale!

I’m hoping to receive the gift of passive aggression. I’ve already been gifted with sarcasm but I just feel I’m not getting everything out of it that some have been gifted. :wink:

7 Likes

Ahh, the gift that keeps on giving!

1 Like

I asked my husband for this shirt. He said it might be a bit controversial, especially at the moment, what do you think? :rofl:

IGNORANCE NOT BLISS

It’s actually a shirt that advocates for Human Trafficking victims from the “Be Hers Foundation Charity Collection”. All profits going toward the cause. It’s an Australian charity so I’m not sure about overseas shipping.

But I love this shirt on multiple levels!

5 Likes

That reminds me of this one:

(Some may recall the accompanying story.)

3 Likes

Reminds me of a line in the movie “Lucy.”

“Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge.”

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Apart from a bunch of haiku books, I’m hoping Father Christmas is going to bring me this new translation of Augustine’s Confessions:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Confessions-Augustine/dp/0812986482/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=30U5JJRZ8CEXY

The segments I’ve read are fluid, lacking in pretentiousness, and, mercifully, in contemporary language.

Also, hoping to get this (TRIGGER WARNING) revised and updated field guide to British spiders:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0691204748/?coliid=IBDWRQ75TBU5Q&colid=FIY9P23RNJBA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

So many books… so little time!

2 Likes

For me I’d want some how to books, like how to fix my car or my electrical wiring, etc.

3 Likes

Fine Art Mugs

1 Like

Pour moi:

A Rollator

We have one with a seat – I would recommend it highly, or does that have one?

It has one: sturdy cloth, not a hard or padded seat. Folded, it looks like this:

I won’t be using it in the house, just for fairly-short outside walks.

1 Like

Not sure whether to laugh or cry. I have several limbs in the garage that I plan to make walking sticks or canes out of, but wonder if I will get it done in time to use them!

2 Likes

Prosthetic? (Coming from a doc, that is how I first read it, for a fleeting second. :slightly_smiling_face:)

4 Likes

Hum, if I can fuse tibia to the femor, the femoral head would make a nice handle…
Actually, persimmon. I had a persimmon tree in the orchard, it was never fruitful, and I realized I didn’t like persimmons anyway, but saved a few straight branches.

2 Likes

And if it ever broke, you could get hardware from an orthopod, or at least install it for you. (Kind of a grim mental picture, though, the stick.)

I have a rollator for outside because I’m trying to recover from a 2nd stroke. I use it a lot but it can be difficult to control, especially going downhill. Braking can really throw you off. It works best on level ground. So just be careful, especially at first.

1 Like