What’s on your gift list: 2022 Edition?

Only what I’ve heard second-hand from my wife. She has a research doctorate in ethics and got a chance to look at an advanced copy recently. “A potential game changer” in Christian ethics is I think how she described it. Long story short seems to be don’t let the ‘Critical Theory’ bit put you off. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Book of the year for public theology and current events. I’m interested as well.

2 Likes

Yes indeed. And at this point, I welcome anything that moves the conversation out of the “Critical theory is Marxist!!!1111!!!11” echo chamber and back into serious Christian discussion.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing that for 20 years :grin: Economic justice is fairness and desert in Paul’s writing.

1 Like

Thank you both, Mr. and Mrs. LM77! The critical theory part would not put me off. How it’s handled (or mishandled) by Christian authors is what usually puts me off. This may just have to go on my list, too!
Thanks @Paraleptopecten !

1 Like

I got this at ETS and it is incredible to look through!

Also got this at ETS for my little one.

https://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Women-Bible-Michelle-Sloan/dp/0281081239/

4 Likes

That does sound fun. One of the authors, Cees Dekker, is one of the world’s leaders in my doctoral field of nanopores.

3 Likes

In support of gift-book-giving (and receiving).

For non subscribers:

For NYT subscribers:

Interesting thread–thanks!

As our kids are getting older, they’re starting to like making their own choices of reading–so we got them gift cards to Barnes and Noble, one of their favorite places (funny story-my wife and I both got them the same cards, so they got double loot. Either great minds think alike, or I need to work on my communication!)

Thanks to influence from godly folks we have known, the kids take money aside to match some of what we do for fun with the kids through the year (dinners out, etc), and towards Christmas, go into the Worldvision.com and Givedirectly.com sites. Each of the kids gets to direct where 1/3 of the money goes–goats, abused kids, direct money, etc. It’s kind of typical–each kid tends to choose the same sort of thing regularly. For example, one of my kids likes to invest in bees, another in baby animals, and another in cash for street kids.

The older kids love the “What If” and “How To” by Randall Munroe. They also like Asterix and Obelix and Tintin illustrated comics. Has anyone got any good recommendations for science and Christian thought books? The boys like this website a lot.
Thanks.

2 Likes

I enjoyed this book as a general science text integrating faith. It is pretty dry, and more of a college textbook on origins and science, so don’t know if your boys are up for it or not, as I forgot their ages.

Understanding Scientific Theories of Origins: Cosmology, Geology, and Biology in Christian Perspective

2 Likes

I was going to mention that, too, but hadn’t gotten around to it yet.

1 Like

So many quality suggestions on this thread! On a more humorous note, too bad the American public doesn’t seem to be reading. According to public radio today, one of the hottest Christmas gifts in 2022 is “Mama Surprise”. Unless you think this toy teaches children valuable lessons about real biology, the baby guinea pigs appear “magically” from a “dispensing mechanism” in the roof of the hutch over a period of 3 nights. Apparently if the “dispensing mechanism” becomes jammed, a cheery female voice alerts the child of the hang up when the door is opened… :joy:

2 Likes

Does it come with forceps to assist extracting the “hung up” babies, or do you have to go straight to C-section? In this case, with screwdrivers and other tools.

3 Likes

Oh, Phil! After my most recent post, this hurts to read.

Here are my fave new books from Faraday. I think you can get most on Amazon:

The Book of Wonders, Dinos and Where do I come from are all large books filled with facts, (not like a traditional picture book, more like a DK book or something, great for all ages)

2 Likes

Laura we are going to give this one away in a few days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooh, your kids are going to be very well educated! thank you for the suggestions, too.

1 Like

Maybe a good place for me to start review!

And LM77, it was delivered to my Kindle this morning from DH! Thanks for the tips!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.