What are you working on?

Two examples that I am familiar with (and have sung) are in The Pirates of Penzance, fly’s-foot [fall would be distinctly heard] and in Iolanthe, once in each “verse” of Love Unrequited or The Nightmare Song a set of three notes on the same pitch, then down an A4th, three notes there, then back up an A4th.

Well I’m glad they are having a hard time. I use almost zero chemicals in anything I do gardening related. The plants were based off the plants they mentioned in their comments though.

But if someone is looking for good edible perennials I suggest looking up native edibles in your area. Obviously fruit trees are the typical go to ones. But I think they were trying to make a vegetable garden.

The perennials I use here are probably very different from the ones they will use there. Plus if your yard is already landscaped a lot of people like blending in edible annuals or “tender perennials”. Tomato plants are often perennial. I’ve seen some bushes that were a good 6x6 feet with hundreds of cherry or blueberry sized tomatoes on it. Starting next month, I’ll begin collecting wild ground cherries. I often a pound or two a week. More if I find a large cluster of then in the dunes. You can also save seeds from heirlooms and not have to keep buying them again and again

2 Likes

Hope I did not derail the conversation too much by trying to make gardening sciency, but indeed every season is a new experiment, and the search for varieties adapted to your area, the variables of weather and nutrients, as well as other factors are of interest to a gardener with a scientific bent.

1 Like

To the extent that I can get away from being department chair, in addition to the Waccamaw project Timothy has discussed, I am working on DNA sequence-based phylogeny of several mollusk groups and a few random other organisms (e.g., the parasites in the freshwater snails on campus; local crayfish), some fossils from a rock unit of somewhat uncertain age, an idea on the geomorphological causes of high diversity in southeastern North American freshwater animals, etc.

3 Likes

Tomato vines are perennial. In places with a mild winter such as Texas they will come up year after year. But where I live they die in the winter. That may change with global warming.

1 Like

Well, in climates that are more tropical, they grow through the years, but once they freeze, they are dead, and do not come back from the roots once the vegetative growth is killed.

1 Like

One reason may be our mind reasons, the spirit compels. Neither love or anger care about a reason.

Similarly, there is little love found in chemical weapons and explosives. If it wasn’t for loving our neighbor, science may have caused our extinction by now.

I love science. Just highlighting a difference between the two and why there may not be a big focus on science Sundays as the focus is on our spirit.

1 Like

James, I found this in our hymnal as a kid and always thought it was the greatest oddity. I think I plunked out the melody once just to see what it was like, but don’t remember it. One guy at church who likes to gain attention by means of contentious behavior requested it by number at a hymn sing. When everyone turned to it, we all just groaned. No one knew it. “Next!”
Have you ever sung it?

What I’ve been working on is tracking down a bunch of native aquatic plants in my area. Hardest part is access. Sometimes i have to park
3-5’miles away and hike to a overpass and crawl down make my way to the particular river I’m trying to get too. Especially the smaller woodland creeks. All access is limited for obscured spots be sure of private property.

2 Likes

I’ve got somewhat of a science/faith mystery, it’s a project that I’ve been researching for over 10 years trying to wrap my brain around this. I’ve been blessed with the discovery of several life forms/things that scientist cannot explain and some can’t be identified. This journey of discovery began after I wrote a story about Christ so I can’t help but wonder, am I witnessing the power of Christ here or is all of this just a freak of nature thing? I’m not sure if this is the right place to talk about this but figured it couldn’t hurt to try and get a Christian science perspective on this matter.

Finally got around to looking into this.
You are doing important work, Martin.

What makes you say this? Have you published your stuff?

A mystery, I’m a bit curious, grin. Can you simplify the mystery for me?

The following perspectives may help when describing “faith”.

One is to start with us having an expectation when we turn a light switch on, turn a key, pour a cup. Our faith in these things comes from their faithfulness. We continue walking past the switch expecting the light will come on. We are not surprised, only when it doesn’t. We may likely expect the bulb first as the switch is more faithful.

Jewish & Christian religions describe faith in God coming from God’s faithfulness and promises. While faith and faithfulness were commonly used terms having the same root meaning and relation.

If your story is about faithfulness, then “expectation” could be a clearer usage, if it is about “blind faith”, I would think of something personal as taking a leap, trusting its reliability, I find hope is the appropriate word for some trying to fault blind faith. Why did they add blind? grin.

It sounds like you are then describing two exclusive possibilities sharing similarities are competing. One has intent but not the other.

Professionally in design requirements, I found similarities lean towards foundations as truth is persistent in all perspectives, the inconsistencies are often unique to the perspective. The outcome looks the same, was there intent?

I’m enjoying the mystery. grin.

No, no, no Kendel. I just clean up after them. Today it was human faeces and heroin spoons. I met two of the users doing weed in the same part of the car park a few days ago. I just nodded and gave them a ‘Hi guys’. Trouble is I love the smell. The cleaner I make it, with frequent patrols, sweeping the street, the safer it will be. A couple of masked dealers or worse - phone thieves - orbited me on a scooter several times last week. I just ignored them completely. Kept my powder dry. They have no idea that I have extremely tough friends in the neighbourhood. I’m determined that the church becomes the best neighbour in the street.

I work at one church and volunteer at two others now. I love it. One of the handiest guys (you should see him punch! I have it on CCTV), a beloved gay neighbour (he calls himself the fourth emergency service, it’s true, he is) built like an outside …outhouse invited us to one a couple of streets away, the lovely Baptists. I know most of the guys from church in the centre of town.

1 Like

Thanks, Martin. I understood.
I didn’t know what “legal high” was about.

I’ll be blunt. “Just” here is just wrong.
Your goal is outstanding. Users need genuine good neighbors, the best kind.
Having sober eyes and ears around, “just” putzing at maintenance with a phone in a pocket, while the pushers circle, and the users are incoherant or OD is a 5th emergency service. In your neighborhood having that 4th around, who certainly has had a lilfetime of highly motivated practice, is a real boon.

Are you, or folks in the church office, able to have Narcan available for emergencies? Libraries in Michigan finally got legal permission to have it on hand, but I don’t think the controversy actually went anywhere (into reasonable action) once the law was passed.

1 Like

So, I just finished my BA dissertation on the Cultural Aspects of the Megafauna (elephants and hippos mostly) of the Ancient Near East, and sent it off for marking. It includes a discussion on ancient near eastern and biblical ecological ethics, so hope to share it here once it is marked.

I also wrote this:

4 Likes

I may have been in a service where it was sung, but I would have been too young to remember. It was published in a hymnbook called 100 Hymns For Today that did the rounds in the Church of England for a few years in the 1970s before fading into obscurity. The same hymnbook included a number that had the word “magnificat” rhyming with “council flat.”

1 Like

And this video from the Mid(wild wild)west.

Enjoyed the article. Lots of information there. My wife has been studying Job, so will share with her.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.