What are UFOs to you?

When you consider what Skunk Works was doing with slide rulers in the 60s, is it any wonder what they are capable of today?

Stuff they can’t afford to fly. Like the billion dollars a flight Aurora.

Forced perspective can create a lot of these phenomena. For example:

There is no CGI in that photo, it is all done in camera. It is just a matter of the person and the pot very close in the foreground and the little people further off in the distance. Given how blurry most UFO videos are, I think it is much more probable that they are seeing a close object moving very slowly against a distant background.

8 Likes

It makes me wonder how many sightings of UAPs, “abductions,” or “little green men” actually happened before something like “War of the Worlds” became popular and helped provide a (fictional) cultural narrative for it to fit into. I would tend to agree with you that interpretation of UAP probably reveals a lot about the observer – and sometimes we see what we’re expecting to see.

4 Likes

Good point. Though I remember the movie Cowboys and Aliens. As I recall, the concept of the movie was more interesting to me than the movie itself, however. It is sort of funny how UFOs all look like science fiction writers envisioned them.

4 Likes

Like an insect or other debris trapped in the camera.

Some telemetry would be nice wouldn’t it?

I agree that it is unlikely that aliens or their equipment would travel from distant planets to Earth.

Yet, I started to wonder what the travel time would be if a voyager would slowly accelerate ten or 50 years. Even with slow acceleration the voyager would reach a huge speed. I have not calculated it, so just an assumption.

Planet-wide life alters the chemical composition of the atmosphere. If the technology advances to the level where we can observe distant planets, we can make educated guesses about the probability of life on that planet.

The only propulsion system that could do that on paper is a ram-scoop fusion drive once you’ve achieved enough velocity for that to occur with pulsed hydrogen bombs. Pure ten trillion dollar fantasy. Until we start mining the Moon for anti-matter of course, after that it’s plain sailing…

Unless you can reach 0.1 c forget it. And when you do, forget it.

The same with fantasy telescopes including radio.

1 Like

Exactly. We see things as we are conditioned to see them. Very little has been invented out of whole cloth. Before all this we had demon possession, urban legends about angels, bigfoot, Marian apparitions, etc.

4 Likes

Bigfoot???
O ye of little faith … :laughing:

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.