Were the events of Genesis 1 revealed to humans via a dream?

Winning five independent lotteries within two days in the order you bought the tickets is pretty good evidence, but of course not proof to anyone who is of a denialist mindset (especially for those who presuppositionally and erroneously only allow for our four spacetime dimensions). That’s why this is good:

The grounds of [true] belief in God is the experience of God: God is not the conclusion of an argument but the subject of an experience report.

Roy Clouser

Nice question…very interesting…but no way to answer…the biblical text does not describe the means by which a concept of creation was conveyed…only that “In the beginning, God…”

Whoa! Who won 5 lotteries in 2 days?

Maggie. :slightly_smiling_face: Originally recounted here, and reprised here. An experience report, never to be dissuaded from.

Wait a minute… Are we now discussing someone winning the Lotto several times as a miracle or God acting in one’s life? No… Wouldn’t a more impressive story of God acting in the world involve children and cancer or something truly meaningful?

We all die, so what’s truly meaningful is pretty relative in this life. What is truly meaningful may have more to do with eternity?

Believing God caused someone win the Lotto several times is disgusting. Anyone who would believe it is selfish, ignorant and arrogant.

You haven’t done your homework.

And do you have an explanation for your non sequitur? Is there an insightful connection between those two that I’m not seeing?

I read that one ago. I thought you meant “lottery” in the literal sense not as a metaphor standing for something else.

1 Like

About that happening in the literal sense… :slightly_smiling_face:

And to @Benjamin87’s point, there is this:

The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.
Proverbs 16:33

Likely a vision or dreams to Moses.

1 Like

I don’t accept modern miracles or Godly intervention. Unfortunately for anyone that frustrates, I also cannot be persuaded otherwise.

Believing in your heart that Jesus rose from the dead takes a modern miracle, and many of us would say a Godly intervention as well, since the former entails the latter. Or just being gullible. :slightly_smiling_face:

• Okay, so you’re a mortal rock. What brings you here and what else do you have to offer?

Huh? I’m not understanding you.

• I assume you’re flesh and blood and not a bot. Where I live, that makes you a mortal. And my impression is that you’re about as flexible as a rock. Off hand, I’d say that makes you a mortal rock. So, what are you looking for around here, if you don’t mind my asking, and what might you be offering or selling?

I’m after different/better ways to interpret the Bible. Left to my own devices, I’ve been struggling. My mind is made up on some things already. But I’ve made the mistake of getting passionate and debate-y with other forumites here though, unfortunately. I told myself not to, but I never listen to me.

• Cool! Just wondering, though. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you recently say that you have an “all or nothing” view of the Bible? That it’s all meaningful and true, or none of it is? I may have misunderstood you, but that’s the impression I got from stuff you’ve posted.

I’m deeply disturbed by the idea that if I cannot reconcile every story in the Bible with reality, somehow. And have it fit theologically, that I will throw my entire faith into question. That’s just the way I am. I don’t want to throw the baby (Jesus) out with the bath water (the OT). But the bath water is a part of it all. I cannot just pretend the bath water isn’t there. Even though I want to. Miracles are easy, only God can do those, or allow them to be done. If God is real it follows that He can perform miracles. Easy peazy.
But things involving creation, floods, mass exoduses… I hold out hope that there are satisfying and fitting answers to my questions.
But I need those answers. I can’t be satisfied without them.

Too often I get told to just have faith. I do. But my faith is dependent on understanding, on interpretation. Not personal encounters or feelings. I get judged for that a lot. Even here it has happened. I get told I must not be a believer, or try reading the Bible… I always got that when I went to church too. I don’t take it personally, I know my motives and what I want. Nothing else matters. But that is the way I am. I come across as antagonistic, I know. I often play devil’s advocate if it helps gain a better understanding, or better share the idea I’m trying to get across. Trust me, it’s all for me though. I’m not selling anything. I’m here to buy.

(Except with that enviro-stuff in a couple other threads. I enjoy pointing out the futility of trying to save the world)

1 Like