Why the 2023 UN Climate Report Matters to Christians

Added edit: [It only just occurred to me that I launched into a reaction (and quite the critical reaction too!) to your post below, without even first so much as welcoming you to the forum! Sorry for that indiscretion, and for what it’s worth (if you can still receive it from me) - welcome to the discussions. And as you will see, even from me already below here if you haven’t already read it, - you can expect challenge and pushback too, for nearly any position one takes. ]

This kind of ‘rapture theology’ is a fairly recent invention from the last few centuries - and only found real traction in the unique flavor of Dispensationalism that caught hold in the U.S. in the 1800s. And even that has morphed over time and suffered from splintering and infighting among fundamentalists as one can learn about in these recent HolyPost interviews with author Daniel Hummel, who traces through the history of this movement.

The posture of “let it burn because it will all get destroyed anyway” is an unbiblical attitude in the extreme since it entirely mistakes the whole reason for caring in the first place. We don’t engage in labors of love and caring because that will solve all problems for all time. We do it because we care and love God’s creation and God’s people here and now - and want to bless and love them and our children and children-to-be as much as we are enabled to know how and do so. This world is a training ground for us, not a disposable diaper. Even for those who do continue to be excited about “imminent apocalypse”, the scriptures make it pretty clear: If we can’t even be bothered to love our needy neighbors or brothers whom we can see here and now in front of us, then we’re just kidding ourselves that we could possibly be loving God, whom we cannot see. And besides, if we are still unable to free ourselves of these gnostic influences that tell us the material stuff is all comparitively worthless, then at least we might just think of it this way: If we can’t be trusted with even these ‘smaller’ treasures, then who will trust us with heavenly wealth?

In the day of return, should the Master find us faithfully exercising what He commanded? Shepherding and stewarding whatever resources He allowed us to be responsible for? Loving and caring for our neighbors? Or are we going to be found instead letting the house burn down around us because we couldn’t be bothered to care any more? We can build with hay and stubble, or we can build with gold. Sharing the gospel is a great thing indeed. We need to make sure that it actually is the gospel (good news) that we are sharing, though, and that we haven’t turned it into bad news. The Kingdom of God is already here among us, and even though we still long for its full realization and fulfillment, we’re supposed to be living according to that higher law of love here and now.

Rapture-based theology (dispensationalism) has proven to be a shaky (at best) and unbiblical foundation on which to build any kind of fruitful faith. One can only sustain this apocalyptic fever for so many decades or centuries before its disappointments and failed prophecies become of greater use to drive people away from faith rather than drawing anybody towards it.

6 Likes

Who was it that wrote, maybe thee decades ago, that Gorbachev was the anti-Christ? Hal Lindsey?

1 Like

I’m sure he’s only one of many.

Listened to those Holy Post podcasts last week. They were most informative! Thanks for bringing them to our attention!

1 Like

Firstly, I am not a Dispensationalist and regardless which view you hold about the 2nd coming of Christ, has not bearing to my point that the current earth will destroyed. My emphasis is where do we channel of our energy. So, how does your reading of history on fundamentalists and Dispensationalism support or not support your concept of “Shepherding and stewarding”? Moreover, “Shepherding and stewarding whatever resources He allowed us to be responsible for?” that you hold to is not the gospel which I am sure you would agree. Otherwise, I doubt you are even a Christian. However, reading your statement, “We need to make sure that it actually is the gospel (good news) that we are sharing, though, and that we haven’t turned it into bad news” actually cast doubt whether you know what the gospel is. Hmmm!

All I am saying is that if the amount of resources and energy that you are spending in “caring for the planet” but instead use the same resources and energy to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ will have far greater impact on the Kingdom of God. I am sure the Master will say to you, “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!” Matt 25:23.

Maybe your perspective doesn’t see the big picture?

1 Like

So, either you spend money on evangelism, or you spend money to address climate change. We can’t do both!

No?    

(Paul invested in tent making.)

I’m not much influenced (I hope!) by these fundamentalist or Dispensational readings since I don’t buy into them either. I was just pointing out that those who have bought into all that are influenced in identical ways to what you expressed. So it’s good that you clarify you don’t identify as such (or not as Dispensational anyway).

Well, I guess it’s always good to take Jesus and the prophets and their word, when he announced that he came to preach the good news to the poor, to heal the brokenhearted, proclaim liberty to the captives, recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed - to proclaim the year of the Lord. Of course, when his community found out they weren’t going to get their ‘hometown’ advantage and headstart on all this goodness, and that outsiders were ahead of them in line, they about ran him off a cliff! But the point is … people flocked to Jesus; especially the needy and desperate ones. He was good news indeed. That is all the gospel I need. The gifts are good. The Giver is even better. And once we are in his company and following him, he will see to everything else we may need. The fruit itself is not the gospel of course … just evidence of it. Where the fruit is lacking, its absence then is evidence of something else.

3 Likes

You misunderstand. It is stock888’s position that we can’t do both.

1 Like

Ah, I did. It’s pretty myopic.

That has the feel of straining a gnat while swallowing a camel. Most Christians work a 40 hour week that is not evangelism. The relative effort the common Christian would need to put forward for a better environment is much less than that.

3 Likes

While Jesus will be coming back any day now, and money will be worthless, you all should still go out and buy my book on the rapture. (Asking me what I intend to do with the money I make is a sign of weak faith.) Hallelujah, Love to fool ya!

@Dale “Maybe your perspective doesn’t see the big picture?” What is your “big picture”? My “big picture” is that the Kingdom of God is at hand and we are commanded to proclaim the Good News and while you do that, heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, and drive out demons.

@beaglelady. “It is stock888’s position that we can’t do both.” No, that is incorrect. Sure, people can do both but I rather invest my energy and resource in the one that give the best outcome to what Christian is called to do. Others are just a distraction.

@Mervin_Bitikofer. “The Giver is even better. And once we are in his company and following him, he will see to everything else we may need. The fruit itself is not the gospel of course … just evidence of it. Where the fruit is lacking, its absence then is evidence of something else.” Amen. So, go deep into Jesus and everything else is just a distraction.

2 Likes

Your big picture alienates the young who care about the future of the planet… unless you have a date for Jesus’ return?

Those young people might actually listen to the gospel while working alongside of someone who understands God’s command to take care of the earth. (You don’t work for an oil or coal company, do you?) They find your “the planet is dispensable” perspective repulsive, and no wonder.

1 Like

@Dale “Your big picture alienates the young who care about the future of the planet… unless you have a date for Jesus’ return?” Why do you come to the conclusion that my “big picture alienates the young who care about the future of the plane”? Have you spend time talking with young people of late? I have been spending regular weekly time on campus of late and talking to many university students. The openness among them is astonishing. I was blown away by this “openness” as one who have being doing evangelism for the last 50 years all over the world. My assessment to this current phenomenal of student’s openness to the Gospel is that they have been so brain washed by today cultural ideologies (e.g. removed by mod) of our society that they have forgotten the more important issue in life. i.e. their relationship with God. They are lonely, in search of meaning, etc. So, rather then alienating them, I am bring the hope and Good News to them. Many of them have responded and have given their lives to Jesus in the last few months.

In response to your sinister question of “unless you have a date for Jesus’ return?”, I would like to point you to Matt 24:36, " But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.". So, are you asking me if I am God, the Father? God forbid. What has knowing the date of Jesus’ return to do with your proposition of “caring for the planet”? It has everything to do with the proclamation of the Good News of Jesus. See Matt 24:14, “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.”

If his return was next week or next year, sure, we wouldn’t care if the planet burned up in the coming decades. Otherwise, we have a mandate to care for it. 2 + 2

Sinister question. :grin: You’re pretty funny.

Looks like you are a good example of one who has been “brain washed” by this ideology or thinking that your a priori Biblical mandate is “caring for the planet”. No, that is never the Biblical mandate! Christians who thinks like you will try to justify your own actions by rationalizing Biblical verses to substantiate your actions just because it is a cultural and fashionable thing to do so in this day and age. If that is your Christianity, so be it, but not me.

Huh, climate change is a cultural ideology. Is that really what you think?

I have three granddaughters on mission trips to the third world this summer, the cultures most affected by climate change, not that we aren’t already. So yeah, I am kind of aware of the young’s sensitivities.