Was Abraham Father of the Jews or of Humanity?

I think I already answered that:

Abraham saw land

1 Like

Abraham saw sky

Abraham saw animals

1 Like

Good reason for me to choose the Bible over the Qur’an.

I believe in the shepherd creator of the Bible rather than this watchmaker (design machine maker) of Deism and the Qur’an. God made the universe as a womb of life in which living things could grow, learn, make choices, because that is what life is. Design is the work of those who create dead things – tools made for an end in which life and free will serves no useful purpose. This “perfect design” theology is not only incompatible with science but is poor theology also. Unless God has left us to perfect our own design with our own choices, learning and growth, the evil of the world is an accusation of evil in its creator.

Ah… but I suppose I am missing the point of your post. I would not say that God designed us perfectly and thus we dare not make any modification BUT that any modification should be our own choice. Therefore I cannot say I would favor this practice of some Muslims any more than I would favor the ear piercing of babies or even worse… the SF idea that parents could modify the very genetics of their children to suit themselves.

Genetic alterations to remove congenital disease and handicaps is a more complex issue – the idea being to give them more choices rather than take their choices away from them.

The baby’s own vit. K production overshoots the mom’s level and peaks on the eighth day before stabilizing. Guess what day the Bible mandates circumcision (I don’t think Whitman mentions that).

Abraham knows how to walk

Abraham seen water

2 Likes

I am not curious about RiverSea’s age, and I never asked. It would be inappropriate. What I wanted to know is why you referred to her as a kid.

Riversea, as already explained by @beaglelady no major religion requires FGM, if anybody told you that they were misinformed. It’s performed mainly in African countries, and some happen to be Muslim, but this tradition mainly originates from tribal believes that unfortunately still continues. And also I would like to add that you really cannot compare it with male circumsituon.

2 Likes

Abraham seen clouds

There are medical conditions that may require this procedure, some also claim medical benefits. Not everyone who’s is curcumsised undergone this procedure for religious reasons.

Riversea, you don’t have to prove anything, it’s universally acknowledged that there’s no need nor benefits to FGM, only negative consequences.

Are they religious scholars? Do they claim to have expertise in their religion? If they have no credentials, then they’re simply mistaken.
A lot of FGM happens in Muslim countries, but procedure predates it, so we cannot blame it on Islam. Some claim that Qur’an doesn’t explicitly ban it, but it’s as far as it goes, nobody HAS TO do it.

A quick online search will reveal that unfortunately they do it in India as well.

You keep bringing up you tube videos, well if somebody has access to YT they also should have access to websites that could educate them in a matter of minutes…

You present excellent points, Marta. My impression is that FGM is primarily used as a tool of patriarchal societies in the oppression of women, which certainly awful, and part of the curse of sin from a Christian perspective.

If there is no further discussion of the topic of Abraham as the father of humanity, at least in the spiritual sense, perhaps it is time to wrap this thread up. Any last comments relevant to the topic?

1 Like

We have strayed far from the topic. It is for u to decide whether to close or being back.

Abram will learn his name is Abraham

Abraham can speak

The question is how do we see judaism? What is primary? 1. Laws such as circumscision. 2. Biological inheritance such as the land of canaan. 3. Philosophical inheritance such as one god.

Judaism is based on the belief that one God established a covenant with a group of people. The covenant granted the people a claim to land. God provided a set of laws for the Jews to follow which included circumcision and dietary restrictions among others.

So what is primary is the belief in one God. IMHO.

1 Like

If u see opening thread, the bible is clear on one god. Not clear on land and laws. The land could be given to biological descendants or spiritual descendants.

I agree entirely. At the same time we may ponder whether there is a moral difference in circumscision of, say, a 3 yr old boy and fgm of a 3 yr old girl.