Unhitching the OT from the NT

Wow, beaglelady, it looks like you are doubling down on your misrepresentation of Andy and adding a false interpretation of Acts 15!

Do you keep the Sabbath, doing no work from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday?

I just finished listening with my family to Pastor Stanley’s much anticipated “Religion and Politics” sermon that he preached today. Thanks for sharing that link with us, Vance!

He did not disappoint. I’m already looking forward to his parts 2 and 3. You can’t come away from it thinking the message is mainly for “the other guy” nor that you can feel smug about your own superior political affiliations. I hope his [Christ’s prayer] reaches the widest possible audiences and touches all our hearts.

Thanks again, Vance!

1 Like

I am looking forward to the next ones too!

I’m with you on the Ten Commandments. They are an encapsulation of ‘the laws of love’, the two greatest commandments being even more concise. God still cares about the Sabbath, but just not like 21st century evangelicals typically think:

The Lord’s Day of Rest

1 Like

This is nonsense - Hebrews discusses the Sabbath rest, and the Church has taught why various rituals were replaced because Christ commanded this (eg bread and wine instead of the feat of unleavened bread.) Christ perfected the Law.

1 Like

The laws of love’ are still in effect.

Exactly. And Paul says, " For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed."

1 Like

Sunday is the Sabbath day for most Christians. There have always been differences in how it is observed, just as among Jews on their Sabbath, observed from sundown on Friday until sundown the following day.

As for you, do you you require women to cover their heads when they pray, and do you regard divorced people as adulterers?

The problem with ignoring the 10 commandments and turning instead to a new commandment (Love one another), is that it totally ignores our relationship with God. Jesus said that the greatest commandment was to love God, and the second was to love our neighbor. (References available upon request.) I don’t understand Stanley’s “instead of” mentality.

That is a bag of worms. Jesus said so, but it is tough to understand how that translates to Christian life, that is, was that intentional hyperbole, and illustrates an ideal that cannot be attained in our own power, or was it a command to be followed. I have had pastors who would not perform a marriage if either party was divorced, and pastors who feel divorced and remarried people are eligible for being deacons depending on the circumstance. I am happy to not judge and let that be between them and God.
In any case, a good example of how Jesus unhitched the OT from the going interpretation at the time.

1 Like

The Sabbath is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Since you don’t cease all work during that time period, you don’t keep the 10 commandments.

And most Christians worship on the first day of week, not because that is the Sabbath. It isn’t the Sabbath.

Why do Christians not keep the Sabbath? Because the go-to moral guide for Christians is not the OT.

It is not my place to put requirements on women for head covering.

I accept everything Jesus taught about divorce and adultery, and we may not interpret the scriptures the same way.

On the contrary, we love one another because Jesus loves us and we follow the example of God and Jesus.

John 15:
As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.

12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

Not unlike the vast majority of 21st century evangelicals, you don’t understand why The Lord’s Day of rest is the Christian Sabbath.

1 Like

Sounds like you are arguing that the OT is not the go-to set of instructions for the church. If it were, we would still do no work from sundown Friday to sundown Sunday.

I agree with that.

He is absolutely wrong. It is critical to see how everything in the OT was a type for what was to follow. (And nobody told Jesus, who quotes the OT)

2 Likes

Nobody told Jesus what?

I quote from the OT. Andy Stanley quotes from the OT.

The discussion is over whether the OT is the go-to source for any behavior in the church. Do you think it is?

If so, we should stone to death people who gather sticks on Saturday afternoon.

It is not just warm and squishy feelings – there are objective ‘laws of love’. There are explicit things that if we do them, we are not loving each other or God. Let’s start with the Ten Commandments.

1 Like

Hardly. You have to understand who Jesus is, why he came and what love is.

1 Like

This is a completely false dilemma. If one does not “unhitch” from the OT it does not imply that one follows Mosaic Law.

3 Likes