I have a question about irony

Indeed you are right, Jesus Christ is our Sabbath rest, that is why its by faith we trust in Him for our rest in the work that has already been done. But, while any day can be a day of rest no doubt; I feel the Lord’s Day should be seen as a special day of rest as in when we can for once a day cease from our secular works and rest, relax and give praise to God for all the good things He has done in our lives.

All the English translations I read it in are singular.

Indeed. The law of Moses. The moral code, encapsulated in the two greatest commandments and also abbreviated and recorded as the Ten preceded Mosaic law. By God’s grace, we no longer need to heed the minutiae of dietary, sanitary, civil and ceremonial law.

What do you think Paul is referring to?!:

For in my inner being I delight in God’s law…

(That’s part of what I meant earlier about the distinction being implicit in the NT.)

1 Like

The moral code was written in our hearts ab initio and is our conscience (which can be distorted or seared and needs an objective written code as a standard to test ourselves against).

That may be a big reason why the Lord’s Day of rest has fallen into disrepute, that, and the failure (demonstrated here) of failing to distinguish Mosaic law from moral law.

Moral laws are laws of love.

Also, many modern Christians are not aware of the fact that there were other ceremonial sabbaths.

[u] Romans 7 [/u]

We are released from the penalty of disobedience to the moral law by our adoption, but if we think we are released from obedience, we are mistaken and immature.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s “fallen into disrepute” – I think the Church has developed more diversity in what Sabbath-keeping looks like. I’m going to go with Paul on this one. Thanks for sharing your views. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Paul said “sabbaths”, plural, not Sabbath, singular. And Paul was a Jew, and we are part of the true Israel. The Lord’s Day is still the Christian Sabbath and the commandment, a law of love to our Father, is still in effect, morally. I am not condemning my brothers and sisters, and thankfully punishment is no longer a threat, but you are missing out. (Don’t blame me! :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Leaders, however, do bear responsibility.

Indeed that is true, but the Lord’s Day is kept one way or another, one may not be as conservative as me and avoid heavy secular works on Sunday but that is fine, it isn’t a salvation issue.

The Lord’s Day is a day of rest indeed and a day to plug into God and rest in His grace. I myself am chilling out and finally finishing up on a NT commentary book and enjoying the Autumn colors outside of my house.

1 Like

I think there is reward to be gained in eternity, too. (I am sure I have forfeited reward in many other areas!) Seek Father’s heart.

I have a question about irony.

I still do.

Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome.

And commerce is burdening, and a god of this age.

Moral diversity is ignorance or rebellion.

Sorry, I don’t see it as moral diversity.

You would be mistaken.

I’m afraid that doesn’t actually tell us anything. In Greek, “Sabbaths” (σαββατα) can have either singular or plural meaning, both in the New Testament and outside it. For example, in the opening of Matthew 28:1, ὀψέ σαββάτων, Sabbath is plural in form but singular in meaning.

1 Like

It is a good thing that it is not our holiness but our Lord’s that Father sees! “Make every effort to… be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.” Hebrews 12:14.

Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day. - Deuteronomy 5:15

Its inclusion immediately after the massively important first part of Isaiah 58 is a good example. Something about its importance could certainly be inferred from that.

It is an enduring metaphor for grace and justification by faith: “…to the man who does not work but trusts God…” Romans. 4:5.

Obedience to the commandment to rest is no longer obligatory?!

1 Like

I mean, that’s like rain on your wedding day.

2 Likes