I have a question about irony

I don’t think it’s “fallen into disrepute” – I think the Church has developed more diversity in what Sabbath-keeping looks like. I’m going to go with Paul on this one. Thanks for sharing your views. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Paul said “sabbaths”, plural, not Sabbath, singular. And Paul was a Jew, and we are part of the true Israel. The Lord’s Day is still the Christian Sabbath and the commandment, a law of love to our Father, is still in effect, morally. I am not condemning my brothers and sisters, and thankfully punishment is no longer a threat, but you are missing out. (Don’t blame me! :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Leaders, however, do bear responsibility.

Indeed that is true, but the Lord’s Day is kept one way or another, one may not be as conservative as me and avoid heavy secular works on Sunday but that is fine, it isn’t a salvation issue.

The Lord’s Day is a day of rest indeed and a day to plug into God and rest in His grace. I myself am chilling out and finally finishing up on a NT commentary book and enjoying the Autumn colors outside of my house.

1 Like

I think there is reward to be gained in eternity, too. (I am sure I have forfeited reward in many other areas!) Seek Father’s heart.

I have a question about irony.

I still do.

Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome.

And commerce is burdening, and a god of this age.

Moral diversity is ignorance or rebellion.

Sorry, I don’t see it as moral diversity.

You would be mistaken.

I’m afraid that doesn’t actually tell us anything. In Greek, “Sabbaths” (σαββατα) can have either singular or plural meaning, both in the New Testament and outside it. For example, in the opening of Matthew 28:1, ὀψέ σαββάτων, Sabbath is plural in form but singular in meaning.

1 Like

It is a good thing that it is not our holiness but our Lord’s that Father sees! “Make every effort to… be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.” Hebrews 12:14.

Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day. - Deuteronomy 5:15

Its inclusion immediately after the massively important first part of Isaiah 58 is a good example. Something about its importance could certainly be inferred from that.

It is an enduring metaphor for grace and justification by faith: “…to the man who does not work but trusts God…” Romans. 4:5.

Obedience to the commandment to rest is no longer obligatory?!

1 Like

I mean, that’s like rain on your wedding day.

2 Likes

There it is plural in meaning. There were two sabbaths that week, the ceremonial one for the passover celebration and the weekly one. Jesus was in the grave three days and three nights.

I don’t pretend to be a Greek scholar, but I presume this is modern Greek, and the plural has a different ending vowel than the singular:

That’s what I assumed this topic was going to be about, but here we are. :smiley:

2 Likes

Matthew 12:1 “At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath…”
Mark 1:21 “They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came…”
Mark 2:23 “One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields…”
Luke 4:31 “Then he went down to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, and on the Sabbath he taught the people.”
Acts 13:14 “From Perga they went on to Pisidian Antioch. On the Sabbath they entered the synagogue and sat down.”

All plural in form.

1 Like

Like the song named ‘Ironic’, this thread contains no actual irony. (Which is, of course, rather. . . what’s the word I’m looking for?)

6 Likes

Well, IMO, a thread devoted to the earnest discussion of whether the Sabbath is a commandment that requires obligatory obedience is pitifully ironic. That the pursuit involves the ruthless torture of at least two languages is, you know, a free ride when you’ve already paid.

Actually, it’s more like good advice that you just can’t take.

2 Likes

All of life is sacred, and all work is sacred (in my opinion). I don’t have a “Christian” part of my week and a “secular” part of my week, unless one counts the rhythms of my own piety and hypocrisy.

2 Likes