I have a question about irony

Okay. :slightly_smiling_face: I haven’t anything to argue with.

Won’t disagree with you on that, and any day of the week can be had as a time of rest. But, the early church seemed to see the Lord’s Day as a special day in which we can come together as a community and worship the Lord together on a common day we all see as holy and rest and be in relationship with both us and God and rest in His love and grace.

Seriously? You may be right about the Greek, but this is hardly subtle – from the essay and also above:

There is irony in disparaging remarks from unbelievers, too, like they cared.

Seriously.

I read it. Then I read it again. I’m sure you intended it to convey something but I have no idea what that was. I also don’t care – I have no interest in this kind of argument.

1 Like

I’m trying to follow here and a little confused and mildly tempted to change the thread title to ‘Dale’s Case for the Sabbath’ or something like that - maybe we can brainstorm a more appropriate title than a question about irony. Can you get me up to speed here @Dale? What are you hoping to make the case for?

Like I said. There is irony in disparaging remarks from unbelievers. Thanks for certifying it. That you don’t get the other is not a surprise.

Sorry, but I’m a believer. I’m still not interested in this kind of argument

There is irony in your claiming disinterest. Why did you comment?

No, there really isn’t.

I commented on the Greek because I’m interested in Greek, and because I recently ran across that odd linguistic fact about ‘Sabbath’ while translating Acts. After that I responded to a humorous comment about irony; irony is also something I’m interested in. What I’m not interested in is arguing about whether Christians are supposed to keep the Sabbath.

1 Like

You should be.

The parenthetical part of that seems like a sideways dig that I don’t appreciate. I’m okay with the first part.

Maybe it should have something to do with loving God and caring about his what his heart desires instead of defending our comfortable status quo.

I’m still not sure what it is you are hoping that we do.

Steve, I’m glad you were already up to speed and willing to write this out - I wanted to, but I just didn’t have the time. And you did a better job than I would have in any case. Thanks.

Are you aware that in 1 John the author specifically lays out what the “not burdensome” commands are?

“Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.” 1 John 3:21-24

It’s almost like John and Paul were on the same page:

"You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:13-14.

1 Like

Maybe buy into whom we should be to increase Father’s joy (and our own)? How about recognizing enlightened self-interest in obedience? (Unless you entirely disbelieve my epilogue.)

Okay so I can make God happy and feel happy when I do what specifically now?

That’s a mouthful. So I perhaps can come to a greater understanding (be enlightened) that works out well for me (self interest) in obeying God about something (what specifically)?

1 Like

I hear some cynicism, so I’m not excited about that kind of participation.

You might recall, God wants us to be childlike, not childish.

Can you just give me a direct answer or are you thinking Mark 4:10-12 is in order?