I have a question about irony

What Paul says about the law, circumcision, and Sabbath is explicit.

Anyway, we’re not going to convince each other, and that’s fine. I’m fully convinced in my own mind; seems you are as well. So, we’re in keeping with what Paul said to the Romans. Peace.

You are missing reward.

It refers to sabbaths, plural, in Colossians 2:16. If it were only the weekly Sabbath and not other ceremonial sabbaths, it would have been singular.

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/colossians/2-16.htm

Again, be careful that that is not an excuse for not using it well when presented with other good evidence that you had not been aware of or had not considered thoroughly before.

So I should keep kosher, and circumcise my children? And ignore what Paul said about those things?

"For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

“But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.”

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”

“I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? Have you experienced so much in vain–if it really was in vain? So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?”

“But now that you know God–or rather are known by God–how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again?”

And so on. Pretty much just read Galatians with an eye to what Paul says about Gentiles keeping the Jewish law (of which Sabbath, food laws, and circumcision were paramount).

1 Like

Please remember that there is such as thing a first-day Sabbatarians, such as some Baptist, Methodist, Holiness, Quaker and Reformed/Presbyterian who hold the Lord’s Day to the same standard of the Jewish Sabbath.

Read the next verse:

20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Yikes. I guess I can’t enter the kingdom of heaven.

4 Likes

But Jesus was showing the hypocrisy of the Pharisees and how they thought they were better then the plebian masses. We have now righteousness that does surpass the Pharisees; we have the righteousness of Jesus Christ imputed into us. The love of resting on the Lord’s Day, the Christian Sabbath, is to rest in the grace and love of God, it is a works if one makes it so, but when you rest and not wrestle with that rest, then it is of faith and trusting in God who sustains us and reenergizes us by His grace and love. As Hebrews 4:9-10 says,

So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.

1 Like

Yes, I was being facetious there – I agree that Jesus was pointing out hypocrisy, which is why I think that passage is a poor argument for making one day holier than the others.

2 Likes

Paul has no problem at all with Christians in the first century keeping Sabbath. These would have been Jewish Christians or prior converts to Judaism who had become accustomed to following the law. But as soon as anyone starts saying that Gentile Christians need to keep the law in order to be Christian Paul comes out swinging.

One irony in your post is that the book of Hebrews has, as a major theme, that Christ is superior to Moses (see Hebrews 3 and 4 in their entirety). Entering the sabbath rest of Jesus is to give up the works of law (Moses) - i.e. to “stop working”. So yes, I have entered that rest, and I have no intention of giving it up! :slight_smile:

“I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing.”

5 Likes

No objector seems to have addressed this:

I think objectors are missing the big picture, missing the forest for a tree they find aesthetically unatractive or another they consider not to belong. Taken as a whole with all of the trees, the first day of the week, the day God truly rested, is indeed the Christian Sabbath.

1 Like

Indeed you are right, Jesus Christ is our Sabbath rest, that is why its by faith we trust in Him for our rest in the work that has already been done. But, while any day can be a day of rest no doubt; I feel the Lord’s Day should be seen as a special day of rest as in when we can for once a day cease from our secular works and rest, relax and give praise to God for all the good things He has done in our lives.

All the English translations I read it in are singular.

Indeed. The law of Moses. The moral code, encapsulated in the two greatest commandments and also abbreviated and recorded as the Ten preceded Mosaic law. By God’s grace, we no longer need to heed the minutiae of dietary, sanitary, civil and ceremonial law.

What do you think Paul is referring to?!:

For in my inner being I delight in God’s law…

(That’s part of what I meant earlier about the distinction being implicit in the NT.)

1 Like

The moral code was written in our hearts ab initio and is our conscience (which can be distorted or seared and needs an objective written code as a standard to test ourselves against).

That may be a big reason why the Lord’s Day of rest has fallen into disrepute, that, and the failure (demonstrated here) of failing to distinguish Mosaic law from moral law.

Moral laws are laws of love.

Also, many modern Christians are not aware of the fact that there were other ceremonial sabbaths.

[u] Romans 7 [/u]

We are released from the penalty of disobedience to the moral law by our adoption, but if we think we are released from obedience, we are mistaken and immature.

2 Likes