The size of the Exodus

Indus. First yam suf. 2 Taftan.sinai. 3. Hamun e mashkel.second yam suf. 3 paran. paran near isfahan. 40 years wandering here. 4 Tehran. Kings highway. 5. Mesopotamia.edom. did not get passage. 6. circuited around through shatt al arab.third yam suf.
There is a huge similarity between signs of Indus valley and old Hebrew.
@Erp please respond to my post. I am happy to take new issues but let us clear the earlier ones.

Copernicus? Darwin? Jesus? They do not seem to have accepted argumentum ad verecundiam

You missed the intended irony.

We don’t. We know he was (sic) egyptian. We have no culturally arrogating agenda.

And what’s the connection with Jesus again? It is all about Jesus here you realise. This site. All.

Jesus, if I remember, said one dot of the OT cannot be changed. The salvation brought by Jesus is anchored on the sin made by adam. As far as I know, NT cannot be read without the OT.

Since you are making the innovative hypothesis, it is up to you to answer questions.
I will note again that the Kassites from all accounts controlled the area where the waters of the Tigris and Euphrates entered the Persian Gulf (nowadays the Shatt al Arab). I can’t imagine them allowing a large number of people through without a struggle. So how large a group are you hypothesizing?
I will also note that given the number of known signs from the Indus River valley civilization (100s of signs), it is not surprising that there is some overlap with the far smaller number of signs (22) of the paleo-Hebrew script. Also there is a close connection between the paleo-Hebrew script and the older (as in pre your Exodus date) proto-Sinaitic script. Note if there is a connection between the Indus Valley script and the scripts of the Levant then you should be able to use it to decipher the language used by the Indus Valley people.
Note I think the Egyptian exodus was at most a very small group of people (on the order at most of hundreds of people).

The Hebrew פַרְעֹה, Transliteration: Paroh, comes from the Egyptian language.

Given the title comes from the Egyptian language how could it mean anything else? It is the same word the Egyptians used to refer to their ruler.

This is a myth based on the Letter of Aristeas. It has long been known to be a fake. As far back as the 17th century.

Bruce Metzger says

The loan words come from the Egyptian that was used 1,000 years before the Exile and would not have been in use at the time of the Exile.

You are thinking of Deuteronomy but there is nothing to indicate that it was the only “book” in existence. You need to research the development of the canon of the OT.

There were, but no where near the size that you are thinking.

On both sides of that question. And textual criticism is a very technical field which requires knowledge of the languages involved if you want to actually judge the correctness of that literature.

1 Like

So, “the Torah is inspired and basically true”, but nobody, including Jesus, knows what it means? LOL! Looks like “an unorthodox belief” to me.

2 Likes

No, Bharatj knows what it means. :wink:

2 Likes

No He didn’t. According to Paul and David, yes, Adam, of course, being fiction. Oh it can, in the sense of it being merely myth - fiction - with no theological moral authority whatsoever.

OK. So you have two loanwords Pharaoh and Habiru. Both are generic and have no connection with Moses. On the other hand you have the names Amram, Jochebed, Moses, Aaron parallel in Indus. These are from the family of Moses. So which stands taller?

Maybe. Instead of simply saying, “No, no,” why don’t you lay out when the LXX was translated and where?

No. The word was changed (and places reidentified) between the Exile and LXX. We do not know what the Torah looked like before 3c BCE.

Indeed there were other books in existence. But that is not relevant since we do not know what existed. Julius Wellhausen’s work, if I remember, places the composition of the present Torah around the Exile plus-or-minus. The reidentification of places from Indus Valley to Egypt would have taken at this time or after.

Exactly. The Hebrews asked the King of Edom to give them pathway. That was Meopotamia (between two rivers, Baghdad). Then the Hebrews circuited around south and crossed the Shatt al-arab.

No info. Maybe 20, 100, 1000 more.

Yes. But why no overlap with Egypt or Sumer?

I agree entirely. Unfortunately this has not been attempted. Another difficulty is that we mostly have cryptic writings on the seals; not any text, let alone a bilingual text.
@Erp You wanted me to lay the evidence. I did. Now, may I request you to contest that evidence instead of bringing up newer issues?

What evidence? What evidence that Jesus was wrong?

Evidence that Jesus thought mitsrayim was egypt.

What about it? It’s a given. Prove He didn’t. Do the scholarship. And who were the Midianites again?

• And evidence that every Jew since Moses, and every Muslim since Muhammad, and every Christian since the the first twelve were Chosen were wrong and, therefore that Yahweh and Allah were wrong, too?
  • How is any claim among the foregoing not “promoting unorthodox religious beliefs” and proselytizing?
  • Even your protégé realized how ridiculous it is to say some very un-Christian things when she’s “here in a mainly Christian forum.”

@aarceng thread questioning about the size of Exodus began sense year 2019
Very interesting thread

1 Like

Riversea, much of this discussion is something of a more personal nature and not really appropriate for this forum, and it attracts interactions that are probably not best in public, or maybe just not healthy at all. So I think let’s give this a rest and not seek more response from people who, frankly, have trouble making this a productive or healthy exchange.