The size of the Exodus

Indus script is not deciphered.

That is the place of crossing. Pl see the Bible.

Not that I can see anywhere.

How do you explain the parallel proper names in same genealogical order in india?

You. But migrants know that the new Liverpool isn’t the same location as their home. In fact sometimes they call it “New London” for example.
Not always as u say.

You have make a comparative study.

@bharatjj @Bill_II @Erp @adamjedgar @aarceng

I learn a new word ‘loanwords’

The definition of loanwords is “borrow from another language.”

Here’s a 59 seconds clip from Benjamin J. Noonan explaining what is loanwords

Personal scene of amnesia

Mom told me what happened, yet I have no memory of what happened. What would have happened if Mom never told me? Yet I still went through the situations, but I have no memories of what happened.

Is history or the past dependent on people sharing their stories? Because where does history or the past go when it is not shared?

Very young people don’t retain many memories and often the “memory” they have is the result of a parent telling them a story. Then there is cultural memory which is the result of adults and children sharing information that is retained because it is known by so many members of the culture. A memory can get lost over time if enough of the adults stop sharing it.

It appears to be yet another Egyptian loan word.

Well I can see the answers.

They don’t always use the exact same name was my point. The fact remains when they use the same name they know it isn’t the same location.

I agree. But as I said the words could coMe from Indus to egypt, and again Indus to hebrew. Neither is proof. We have to look at the totality of evidence as I gave in my previous posts.

In what language?

Pi ha-Chiyroth <06367>

tryxh yp Pi ha-Chiyroth

Pronunciation: pee hah-khee-roth’
Origin: from 06310 and the fem. pl. of a noun (from the same root as 02356), with the article interpolated
Reference: -
PrtSpch: noun proper locative
In Hebrew: tryxh 4
In NET: Pi-hahiroth 4
In AV: Pihahiroth 4
Count: 4
Definition: Pi-hahiroth = “place where sedge grows”
  1. the 3rd encampment of the Israelites after leaving Goshen in Egypt
    and the last one before crossing the Red Sea|

What is that source?

If it was Hebrew it could mean ‘mouth of the gorges’.

Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance

Pi-hahiroth

From peh and the feminine plural of a noun (from the same root as chowr), with the article interpolated; mouth of the gorges; Pi-ha-Chiroth, a place in Egypt – Pi-hahiroth. (In Numbers 14:19 without Pi-.)

Sedges easily grow in coastal marsh.

1 Like

No explicit answer. (Do I detect a trend? Or is that the norm. ; - )

Please explain how Indus words got to Egypt and were accepted into the Egyptian language just in time to be picked up by the Israelites. Is there any archeological evidence for people from the Indus Valley being present in Egypt? The loan words came from Late Egyptian (dated near the time of the Exodus) and not the earlier Middle Egyptian.

So far I have seen a totality of speculation on your part.

You started with Moses was “dark” so why bring up the story of God showing His power? And then you say he had a connection with “darkness” when his normal skin color, like everyone around him, was dark? Was everyone connected to darkness and therefore everyone had a connection to Krishna?

Could be Egyptian or Hebrew. If interested see Pi-hahiroth | The amazing name Pi-hahiroth: meaning and etymology

1 Like

The closest I could find for more info is a quote of “Jablonsky proposed the Coptic pi-Achirot, “the place where sedge grows””. Jablonsky, or earlier Jablonski, seems to have first been mentioned in connection with this particular translation in “An Exposition of the Whole Old Testament, Critical, Doctrinal, and Practical”, by John Gill, 1778, (on p. 577). I would guess this is the Paul Ernst Jablonski who wrote “De terra gosen”, published 1735.

1 Like

Strongs. Netbible.

I quoted Strong’s. You did not.

It’s all garbage anyway. Sedges grow right by the sea. In Norfolk. Lancashire. Devon. Dorset. Cornwall. Kent. Suffolk. West Sussex. Lincolnshire. Yorkshire. Cumbria. Scotland. Wales. Ireland. The Netherlands. Spain. Greece. Malta. Italy. France. Kuwait. Morocco. Egypt.

You use the Net Bible’s definition of the Strong’s concordance number, but that definition doesn’t match what is in the actual Strong’s Concordance. Hence the confusion. So in the future please make clear you are using the Net Bible. Here is what Strong’s says.

And as Klax indicates sedges are found world wide. Check the distribution map at Wikipedia.

1 Like

I learned that ‘sedges have edges and rushes are round’ decades ago in Rocky Mountain National Park, not an especially low part of the world.

There are more species in the genus Carex in Rocky Mountain National Park than there are species of all other sedges combined.

1 Like

Several issues

1. Pi-Hahiroth may or may not place where sedges grow. The claim that it does dates to the early 18th century, and, I’m not sure anyone has followed up on it since.
  2. The claim was also that it meant this in Coptic which is descended from ancient Egyptian (again since we now know a fair bit of ancient Egyptian it is odd no one has checked whether it meant that in ancient Egyptian [or maybe they did and it doesn’t])
  3. Since 18th century Copts were unlikely to have spent much time outside of Egypt sedges must have been familiar to them locally in order for them to have a word for it.
  4. Carex distans a fairly common sedge is found in Egypt and Sinai Carex distans L. | Plants of the World Online | Kew Science

In other words this is not evidence to support Bharatij’s speculation. The suggestion that the site means place of sedges in Coptic (and presumably Egyptian) supports the connection of the Exodus story to Egypt.

2 Likes