The Religious Opt Out for Masks (Homeschool Co-op Edition)

A woman who used to be a dear friend is a conspiracist. Her family and friends have been severely affected. :disappointed_relieved: She’s been kicked off Facebook at least twice, I think, and all her email to me, multiple per day, goes to spam because every one has a link, most to bitchute or YouTube.

Thanks, Paige.

I have repeatedly encouraged people to get vaccinated. The vaccines are extremely helpful.

There are other practices pushed very hard by people which are likely not justifiable. And reasonable people with good judgment and good intentions disagree on those — the appropriate venues and ages for masks is one of those practices of disagreement.

I would hope we can discuss those views and agree to agree or disagree without animosity.

2 Likes

Do the same for masking in schools. It’s not a death sentence… it might be if they don’t.

…based on internet ‘research’.

2 Likes

[quote=“03Cobra, post:34, topic:46717”]
There are other practices pushed very hard by people which are likely not justifiable.

What do you have in mind?

The last time I mentioned one, my post was deleted.

So I had better not say.

I will private message the answer, if you desire.

:eyes:

Yes we did have this massive Georgia thread:

That was a fun one where you began by arguing Georgia would hit herd immunity soon as of August 22nd:

Georgia_Herd_Immunity_August22

Or similarly 7 days later you argued Sweden was at herd immunity:

August_29_Sweden Herd Immunity

I won’t say anything about that 500 post back and forth on personal freedoms/choices and public health. But it seems that there are certain reasons why you concluded we were close to herd immunity then despite the opposite consensus from the scientific community. I would hope that such shortfalls can be learned from and not repeated in future posts, but you are welcome to post what you want with the possibility it could receive some moderation.

2 Likes

Thanks, Matthew.

Even the experts have been wrong about this disease — and that is why we are 18 months into the 15 days to slow the spread.

But that was not the post that was deleted. It had to do with the need for children to wear masks outdoors. And it was last week.

But I did comment to the opening post giving my thoughts on the document you posted yesterday about this time, as you asked, and you did not respond…

[removed by moderator]

Unfortunately, the source of this “15 days” was not an expert in any such related field at all, and is someone that many people believed. Health officials, admitting they didn’t know enough about the virus, encouraged people to take it seriously. When health officials implored people to not buy masks, it was because there simply weren’t enough for the people who had to deal with the virus on the frontlines.

6 Likes

Where did that come from?

Oh.    

Yes, if you would like a different example of experts getting it entirely wrong, the declaration that a lab leak was a discredited conspiracy theory is one.

Like the former head of the CDC, I think the lab leak is the most likely source.

And now that the FOIA requests have supplied more proof, it is even more likely.

Another example is the CDC claim that “less than 10%” of the COVID cases came from outdoor exposure. That was a gross exaggeration (based on misapplied construction work in Singapore!), and even the liberal New York Times called them out on the error.

So experts have often been wrong, and people need to recognize the fluidity of the assumed facts.

It is beneficial to discuss the possibilities, Paige, and I appreciate your posts.

Why must you goad me like that?

Sounds good.

That could be. I’m not sure how you would go about evaluating whether a parent is overestimating the potential impact of COVID-19 on their child, especially not knowing their medical and family history.

So this number was surprisingly low for you?

The risk of kids dying is low, therefore… we don’t need no stinking masks.

2 Likes

I’m not sure you are following what the experts were actually saying.

For example, the original Andersen paper in Nature was trying to look at deliberate human engineering vs. naturally evolving. The evidence favored (and still does) the latter.

Here’s a recent summary in Science:
https://www.science.org/content/article/why-many-scientists-say-unlikely-sars-cov-2-originated-lab-leak

However, a lab leak is not out of the question. But that is a separate question from whether or not the virus naturally evolved or was deliberately engineered. It very well could have evolved naturally and escaped from a lab that was studying it by accident. Yet all of this is irrelevant for how we should presently deal with the virus.

Yes but that’s not a great example since we knew that number was high… because of scientific experts. Not some random person at the NYT who called the out. The CDC definitely had more issues last year for a variety of reasons but that isn’t an example of “experts getting it wrong.”

Okay, but you just are blazing right by your information we tried to tell you was wrong then (herd immunity claims) and handwaving it away saying “eh, the experts were wrong a lot too.” You haven’t provided many good examples and the people who were crazy about herd immunity last August were wrong in a very big and dangerous way. That misinformation likely led to many more infections and deaths than it needed to. Definitely a lot different than the CDC overstating a number, erring on the side of caution until they were able to review more data.

4 Likes

Yes, it was

We disagree on whether it is a good example. I think it is. The New York Times compared it to saying “there are fewer than 10,000 (I think that was the number) shark attacks each year.” The numbers were both true and extremely misleading. There are far fewer shark attacks than that, just as the “less than 10%) used a number that was a gross exaggeration.

That is not what I wrote. My point was that some parents will weigh all the negative impacts of masks against the low risk of COVID to children and decide the problems with masks outweigh the benefits. And the parents know their own children’s situation better than others do.

People weigh risk everyday. For example, 638 children (12 and under) died in car accidents in 2018, yet people still take children in cars.

So, the document you posted may have been influenced by people weighing the low risk to children against other factors.

They always use seatbelts as a law, which is perhaps a closer analogy. Going to school in a pandemic would be a closer one to compare to riding in a car, I think. What do you think? Thanks.

3 Likes

I think wearing masks for many hours over the face is much more difficult and disruptive than seat belts.

This is especially true for children.

Surgeons wear masks all day. Ask yours not to, for his own wellbeing, since you would be putting his welfare above your own, as you should.

Citation please. Children are more resilient than adults, and if wearing a mask when we go out among others is just something we do, well-parented children would be fine with it. Schoolchildren in other cultures can do it, no huge deal.

You are in effect showing callous disregard for frontline healthcare workers in ICUs and ERs, speaking of putting others before yourself, because they are stretched to the limit and beyond – fatigued, burned out, distressed, leaving the profession, depressed and suicidal, because of antimaskers’ and antivaxxers’ poor thinking.

1 Like

Neither of our opinions need citations.

And “freedumb?”

You were stating it as fact.

A fact. :slightly_smiling_face: I’ll edit it, however. Better now?

You don’t seem to have any real counterarguments.

Please read the first two words of my post again, these two: “I think…”

It is a fact that I think all day masking is especially hard on kids. Not all kids, but especially the children already challenged in school.