The Minimal Genome Project: "Here we report a new cell"

Your objection was about science not having tools to search for supernatural data. If ID methods are concerned only with universally observable matter, then your objection has no logical grounding.

1 Like

Except that we know what ID is about.

1 Like

This is a case of demonstration - remove one bit and it does not work. That does not mean further research is prohibited. I agree that proving systematically a notion such as irreducible complexity by experiments appears extremely difficult. However I fail to understand your objection.

So your objections needn’t make sense.

IC is inescapably vindicated by genetic translation.

In a universe where no object specifies or represents any other object, it takes two objects to specify something – one to act as a medium, and the other to determine what is being specified.

It seems to me that you have deemed those questions unanswerable…relegating them to the “unobservable past”…

It seems to me that a case of irreducible complexity is the end of the question…TADA!

That’s the way I’ve understood it. I’ve never heard of an ID proponent investigating the “how.” Because the case itself is evidence for God’s intervention.

Why, on principle, would somebody investigate further?

Well, I certainly remember the online excitement when it was “proven” that bumblebees could not fly according to the laws of aerodynamics.

My comment was related to the question I asked: “What is your alternative to discovery”.

But thankfully, you’ve sprung to make your point. Powerful stuff.

Um…are you kidding me? Are you suggesting that this is a claim that I AM MAKING?!

Geez, this is getting downright stupid. Please don’t quote me out of context…the way you just quoted me is EXTREMELY MISLEADING, and frankly, pisses me off.:angry:

Scientifically, there is no alternative.

Thanks for the condescension. Maybe make your point more clearly.

I’ve been asking you to make your point for virtually the entire length of this thread, and the post of yours I was responding to was exactly two words long. But if you need me to take all the responsibility for communication, I am happy to do so.

My point is that ID stifles future investigation. No ID’er investigated what might give rise to “irreducibly complex mechanisms.” And of course, they could not. Because irreducibly complex mechanisms are evidence for ID’s primary assertion…so why would they?

Sure, again, I haven’t see that.

My understanding is the IC notion is removal of one part renders the organism inactive/dead, which contradicts the notion the organism evolved from a previous simpler unit. Both IC and NDE suffer from a problem in terms of presenting a coherent theory - e.g. if a simpler unit is fully functional it must have adapted and flourish according to NDE - so who makes it evolve into another more complex unit?

To avoid a long and pointless debate, I do not favour either view - I simply make the point that demonstration and experimentation are not always the same, be it IC or NDE.

Yes I understand your position, it just that is falls apart in just about every direction. Firstly, if one scientist says “This is designed”, there will be another who says “No, it’s not”. If a thousand scientists say “This is designed” there will be another thousand who will say “No, it’s not”. It’s the nature of the beast. Secondly, there is nothing to suggest that man intends to stop his quest to build life for himself (for many different reasons) which will require learning how to create biological IC systems. Thirdly, Michael Behe himself, as far as anyone knows, has not walked away from biological discovery. The idea that men like Michael Behe are just going to stare at the sky is silly, to be generous. And fourthly, and perhaps most importantly, the alternative is to ignore physical evidence. I find it hard to think we should express our protection of the institution of science by instigating a policy whereby we do not speak of that thing we do not speak of. And all of this fearful hand-wringing is over what exactly – the proposition that we have discovered something? I’m sorry, but that doesn’t pass the smell test. Your objection is just a tool, whether you mean it sincerely or not. And the place it shows it weakness the most is directly in front of the physical evidence.