The Minimal Genome Project: "Here we report a new cell"

No, but my main point has been…what does this lead to? Further investigation? Or a cessation of investigation?

I’m starting to feel like that question is being avoided…

[quote=“Eddie, post:103, topic:4930”]
By using the phrase “natural phenomena,” you have introduced an assumption about the very thing that needs to be proved. What if the origin of life was not a “natural phenomenon”? Then scientists, in trying to find a “natural explanation” for it, would stray far from the truth.[/quote]

There’s still a “how” to answer.

What would be the problem of that? Wouldn’t we learn something about the “how”?

Would that make what God did less impressive? Or more?

Great. So let’s assume that it is provable that God did it. What next?

Or…what if a scientist has no assumptions whatsoever? Are you okay with that?

I’ve already answered this question, as have others → Science will continue, and individual scientists will research what they see fit, just as it has always been.

What is your alternative to discovery?

(I don’t intend to try to read into your questions what you are getting at)

Including origins?

There’s a significant difference between trying to figure out what happened in Lazarus’s resurrection and denying that it happened by explaining it away.

Some people truly believe that God “holds up” bumblebees…

Or better…this is as far as science can answer this question. Not that they stop looking, but that this is “what we know right now.” They do that with the first unit of Planck time…although striving to peer past that. Not that I have a problem with the looking…

…but claims about what God did or didn’t do are metaphysical, not scientific claims. The irony is that alternative explanations (e.g., “multiple universes”) are also metaphysical claims. I think it was Hawking in The Elegant Universe who argued that M-Theory is “just as good an explanation” for the existence of the universe than God–implying that God is a good explanation for the origin of the universe…

…but if we’re only talking about origins, it’s just “my theory vs. your theory.” If we’re talking about Jesus…that’s a whole other conversation…

Hi Eddie,

Hope your Tuesday has been a good news day!

You have quite an imagination, my friend Eddie. When I read the book in 2000, I believed every word of it. I was quite hostile toward the theory of evolution at the time.

You should really avoid such speculations about motive.

“biochemical systems were designed by an intelligent agent” - Darwin’s Black Box

Moreover, Behe insists that the design of what he calls irreducibly complex systems happened essentially in an instant, rather than slowly.

I concede that you, Eddie, might believe that an intelligent agent who has the ability to create a highly complex system in an instant might not necessarily be supernatural. I would also concede that Behe subsequently (after publication of DBB) argued that such a powerful, intelligent agent was not supernatural, even though he did not voice that qualification in the book.

I would hasten to point out, though, that Behe’s subsequent qualification could very well have been motivated reasoning; he was testifying in the Dover trial, after all, and very much wanted to avoid the notion that intelligent design had anything to do with the constitutionally perilous notion of supernatural agency.

I find the judge’s conclusion compelling (if I might paraphrase it): an intelligent agent who can create magnificent designs in an instant is by definition supernatural, regardless of how anyone might try to spin it while squirming under cross-examination in a federal court.

We may end up agreeing to disagree on this one, I suppose.

Well, you stated that Christians like me are on a dangerous path…

Calling the evolutionary creationism project “a danger” is roughly equivalent to saying it threatens the integrity of Christian theology, in my book. If you would like to clarify your statement, I would be happy to listen.

We certainly agree on this. Not all proponents of ID agree, but I appreciate your personal openness to the scientific project.

There are a couple of ways to think about assumptions. There are logical assumptions as in number theory, and there are assumptions that get us out of bed in the morning. I agree with you that, in the logical assumptions as in number theory sense, scientists should not assume their eventual success.

On the other hand, like anyone else on the planet, scientists wouldn’t be doing their work if they were not optimistic about its eventual success. They make the assumption of eventual success as part of their mission in life when they wake up in the morning. But the terminology you have chosen to use seems to rain on the scientific parade–and no one likes their parade to be rained on.

If you can find a way of differentiating the 2 kinds of assumptions, and clarifying that you are speaking of the one, and not the other, then your interlocutors might be more amenable to your points. (If in this last paragraph I have misunderstood your intention, please forgive my error.)

Peace,

Chris Falter

The tools of science are insufficient to study supernatural phenomena. How do you suggest that scientists search for a supernatural explanation?

1 Like

[quote]Eddie: I’ve asked them to find any clear passage where Behe insists that only supernatural intervention can explain something. Not one person has been able to find any such passage.

Chris: “biochemical systems were designed by an intelligent agent” - Darwin’s Black Box
[/quote]

Hi Chris, the quote you used to show Behe demanding supernatural agency. Here is the fuller quote for context:

The conclusion of intelligent design flows naturally from the data itself - not from sacred books or sectarian beliefs. Inferring that biochemical systems were designed by an intelligent agent is a humdrum process that requires no new principles of logic or science. It comes simply from the hard work that biochemistry has done over the past forty years, combined with the consideration of the way in which we reach conclusions of design every day.

What is “design”? Design is simply the purposeful arrangement of parts …

Yes, including origins.

[quote]Beagle: The tools of science are insufficient to study supernatural phenomena. How do you suggest that scientists search for a supernatural explanation?
[/quote]

One quick point before I butt out:

In the case of ID, it doesn’t attempt to “search for supernatural explanations”. It attempts to demonstrate design through universally observed data.

But we all know who you-know-who is.