The Exodus no or little evidence

We will need to study why the canaanites worshipped baal also as a cow. Perhaps they discovered the value of cow independently.

I don’t know of blood drinking traditions.

Actually

Note the commandment had been given before the calf was created.

There are several possibilities none of which were an attempt to deify a milk cow.
The Egyptian god Hathor was represented by a bull.
The Egyptian diety Apis was represented by a calf.
The Canannite god El was represented by a bull.
The Canannite god Baal was represented by an ox.
And as I pointed out, it could have been an attempt to create a place for God to dwell, which was the purpose of the Tabernacle.

And remember Jeroboam created 2 golden calves much later when any memory of the Indus valley would have been long forgotten.

2 Likes

No, it wasn’t a conflation. God was God and Baal was Baal. See what the prophets thought of Baal worship.

1 Like

If this was true there would be genetic evidence, but there is none. Similarly, the Mormons believe that after the fall of Jerusalem some Jews sailed to the Americas and became the ancestors of the Native Americans. But genetics tells us that this idea is totally wrong.

Genetics is an important part of our life. We do paternity tests and convict people of rape based on DNA evidence. We can trace our ancestry through DNA.

Should we trust genetic evidence?

1 Like

I should have been more clear: some Israelites conflated, whereas others used the title to say that it was YHWH who is The Most High.

Yes - “Baal” means “Lord”, and so could be a legitimate title for YHWH; the use of “baal” as an element in the names of some of Saul’s descendants (as recorded in Chronicles; Samuel/ Kings euphemizes with “bosheth”, shame) reflects that. But Baal was a standard title for the chief male deity in many of the surrounding cultures, and became so associated with pagan rituals that Hoshea prophesied the abandonment of the name.

The wild bull, or auroch, was the most powerful familiar wild animal, making it popular as a symbol of power. Thus, a bull image could be thought to symbolize the power of a deity, or be a steed/support, besides the possibility of viewing it as an actual physical representation. “Calf”, for both the one in Exodus and Jeroboam’s creations, is probably being sarcastic about bulls.

Although the term “Jebusite” is only known in the Bible, other reference to the pre-Jewish inhabitants of Jerusalem exist (e.g., the Amarna letters). As a complication, the Jebusites may have been the latest occupants of Jerusalem, ethnically distinct from those at the time of Amarna.

2 Likes

Sorry, I mean to say that this was the reason the Israelites were forbidden from drinking the stuff.

If bull could be worshipped as one God, then idolatory would be acceptable.

The R-M124 gene is found among Ashkenazi Jews and Yadavas of India. You might like to see: Did the R-M124 gene pass from the Yadavas of India to the Jews? - YouTube

I don’t get you. How can Baal b Most High? pl explain.

That appears to be a video you made yourself! I’d like to see a scientific paper from a peer-reviewed journal.

4 Likes

This hardly makes his case: Haplogroup R-M124 - Wikipedia

Nor does this: Jewish R-M124 Haplogroup - Background | FamilyTreeDNA

On the contrary both pages support my case. The first doc on r.m124 says that the occurrence of this gene is up to 87 percent in some Indian groups indicating an India origin.
The second doc on Jewish r.m124 says this is found among ashkenazi who, I have read, are the most ancient of the Jewish lineages.

It would be helpful if you learned how to use the forum user interface to quote exactly and with links.

Fair. As soon as I can get to it. I invite you to collaborate on this project. I have some data. More is needed. And I don’t understand genetics. Need help.

Fair. As soon as I can get to it. I invite you to collaborate on this project. Let us work to uncover the truth.

It seems just as likely to have arisen in Ur, Abraham’s region of origin. There is nothing there that weights the Jews towards the Indus that I could see.

If you don’t understand genetics you shouldn’t make these assertions. You might consider taking this free online course: Introduction to Genetics and Engineering from Duke University. The teacher is excellent

1 Like