The Exodus no or little evidence

Is there a Jewish tradition that discloses why they worshipped the calf?

I don’t think so, but the Canaanite god Baal was often represented as a bull.

Jews opposed ball the cow, and worshipped golden calf. How come… If u have any thoughts.

The Israelites committed idolatry and worshipped Baal

Found this interesting.

1 Like

Very interesting. I never heard of the word Ayurveda. I’ll look further into Ayurveda, and no I didn’t know this about indigenous cow milk doesn’t add cholesterol., I’m going to look further into this, very interesting

It looks like they really were that foolish.

1 Like

People can be pretty foolish! He may be giving them too much credit. (Conspiracy theories come to mind.)

You posted while I was writing. :slightly_smiling_face:

This belief could have serious health consequences. If you have high cholesterol you should avoid any kind of butter. Talk with a real doctor who graduated from a recognized medical school.

and @beaglelady

The notes on “The golden calf episode.” cover almost 2 pages so the little snippet I posted is missing all of the context. It makes better sense when you read the whole note. Given the study Bible is based on Jewish scholarship I don’t they are buying into conspiracy theories.

beaglelady don’t you have this resource?

1 Like

I didn’t mean to suggest they were, but just as an example of our enormous capacity to be thoroughly silly.

No, I don’t have it. But why reproduce it if it is lacking context?

I thought it was interesting stand alone. In all my years of pew sitting I have never heard a sermon that ties the original golden calf to Jeroboam’s two calves. And I wanted to avoid the copyright police.

1 Like

I respond, "People who’s into Ayurveda isn’t dangerous., is an area I’m going to look further into. I learn a lot from Bharat Jhunjhunwala and now I learn this word Ayurveda

I love learning and I think the physical body is interesting and a while back I learn that there’s 3 layers to a vein

Extra virgin Olive Oil is good for a person
and what heals the 3rd layer of the vein
are Arginine and Citrulline malate

Now Bharat brought up an interesting point what if These may be the reason that the Jews danced around the golden calf, because this type of indigenous cow was extremely good for people., its another thought to think through: I’m sure other cows., are good too.,

I don’t know what all Jews do with cows, I heard they slaughter cows in a way of draining blood., not sure of the reasoning why?

Ok, well., I did heard cholesterol is good for a person too., I’ll need to re-look into that again: I heard cholesterol is good too

what areas cholesterol is good for a person

the thing is hebrews yadavas were indians from india, travel with cattle and ate the cattle., I hope they drank the blood if they drain the cattle., cause drinking the blood would be good for people too., but I did hear that jews drain blood from cows., not sure why., but i hope they drank the blood then

no one in this thread, never did explain if Jews worship cows? actually I don’t think anyone worships cows., I doubt even people in India worships cows., I’ll ask Bharat, @bharatjj Indians in India don’t worship cows right., cause I’m sure they’re just showing appreciation to cows right?"

Jewish law forbids consuming blood.

Well then, maybe ivermectin is good for treating covid 19.

The First Commandment prohibits the worship of idols. The golden calf was an idol in the shape of a calf. They weren’t worshiping a milk cow. We aren’t told directly what the calf represented other than it was an idol and they paid a price for worshipping it.

2 Likes

The high god of Canaan El was conflated with YHWH by Israelites long ago and he was often portrayed as a bull, so it could have been a heterodox way of worshipping The One True God.

Then again, the goddess Hathor was all the rage at the time and was depicted as a cow, along with other ANE gods that @beaglelady mentioned, so it was most likely that.

EDIT: I didn’t read your post when I first posted this @Bill_II; very interesting! It could have very well been a throne of some kind.

Blood to the peoples of the ANE was said to hold the essence of life, therefore making the consumption of blood the equivalent of stealing something’s soul.

You also see similar prohibitions for other vital/life-giving fluids, such as period blood and semen.

The first commandment came after the golden calf. Indeed it was an idol. But why idol of calf, rather than a horse or a rabbit? There has to be some significance to calf. My suggestion is that the Jews were migrating out of the Indus valley where cows were deified for their economic and health value. This was why they made a calf.