Sweden's Example

Targeted isolation, isolating the elder care homes and their caregivers, would have certainly delayed the deaths of the older people. The older die at higher rates largely because they have underlying conditions, and I expect many or most of the death certificates list more than Covid-19 as the cause of death (i.e., comorbidity).

May God bless you, Kai, and grant you many more years of good life.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts. I am sorry. In retrospect, I think I was unintentionally ungracious in my wording. I never do a good job communicating when Iā€™m at work :slight_smile: .

I chose Sweden to review because I think they are doing some things right, and maybe some things were mistakenā€“at any rate, we have to open up somehow, and maybe we can learn from them.
From articles I read (I can dig them out), Sweden prevented visitation of family members to the elderly, but they did not enforce (at least in some cases) masks in the nursing home, unless there were symptoms. So I think, as you expressed, that tighter rules there would help.
Iā€™m empathetic to the Swedish idea, because it seems that they would have the best chance of making it work.

Only time will tell what is the best approach, and for which populations. I know you and I, Brother, will continue to pray for safety of all involved. Blessings!
Thanks.

2 Likes

Sounds good, Randy.

And we should pray for wisdom for our leaders.

1 Like

By comparison, Swedenā€™s per capital mortality is less than 1/3 that of NY. It is also lower than NJ, CT, MA, DC, RI, LA, and MI by wide margins. It is neck and neck with PA. Together, those states account for almost 2/3 of total US mortality.

My hypothesis is that the US containment measures have been largely ineffective. That is a separate issue from whether or not they were well-advised back in March.

Now that most states are opening up, all are moving toward the sort of policies Sweden had from the beginning, with most of the country having never come close to the per capita infection rates of the states I listed.

1 Like

Great thoughts. Given the time of arrival of the virus and the delay in the US, I wonder if the delay from the onset at the major city centers in the US till implementation of protective measures was greater than in Europe. Also, Americans arenā€™t known for being as compliant with government directions as Sweden; and the population distances in Sweden as a whole donā€™t really compare with some of these American spots, either, I imagine. I have a lot to learn. It would be so interesting to have an epidemiologist analyze this. Thanks for those extra thoughts.

Interestingā€¦it makes me wonder about how travel will open up elsewhere. It is yet another twist on the complicated question.

I am hoping the US-Canada border opens soon.

Here is an example of the potentially bad effects of excessively early re opening.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-06-03/man-behind-sweden-s-virus-strategy-says-he-got-some-things-wrong

Reportedly, the epidemiologist said if he had to do it over again, he would be a bit more cautious and land somewhere in between Sweden and other countries. Also, economically, Sweden has done about the same as its EU neighbors. I am not sure whether this is because of its dependence on other countries or not. In addition, it is not clear what adjustments Tegnell will propose. Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.