Personal Freedoms/Choices & Public Health Measures

Not unless they know they have it and when they are not symptomatic they might well not know. It is not as though testing is readily available.

3 Likes

Here is what is happening at my church:

1 Like

And we all know that children always do what they’re told.

3 Likes

Well, beaglelady, if you are worried about children getting into potentially dangerous things at your house, then you could get a room for locking up everything dangerous at your house.

Examples include household cleaners, car keys, knives, various tools, matches, hot hair curlers, medicines, chocking hazards, and guns. I can’t think of a very practical way to prevent their access to electricity, but you may consider going to all overhead lamps and remove any table lamps.

As is the case with many of the things we are discussing, people have to make their own choices on the amount of risk they are willing to take.

Parents and legal guardians are morally and legally responsible for keeping their children safe. You can’t even bring a baby home from the hospital unless you have a carseat. There are any number of things that will get you a call from Child Protective Services, like not supervising young children. Heck, if you have a swimming pool in your backyard that isn’t fenced in and a neighbor’s kid falls in and drowns, you are legally responsible. (Because It’s an “attractive nuisance”). That’s in my state, anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for that. You go to Andy Stanley’s church, right? Ours is actually planning on reopening as soon as Governor Whitmer says it’s OK–but with a divided service, masks, and perhaps some open air gatherings. Protecting the elderly (we have a good mix) has to be a priority. I have talked to people who have started up church already, and they have found it difficult to have people follow the rules of safety.

Yes, I go to Andy Stanley’s church.

1 Like

Well, beaglelady, my post was about items inside the home.

Hi Phil, I know that the studies are still ongoing and vitamin d is not a cure by any means and though I agree that correlation is not causation we do understand vitamin d involvement in the immune function and also in metabolic regulation. The study I saw showed a possibly at least 16% benefit of normal vs deficient but more studies are needed. We know that the at risk populations for severity are usually deficient in vitamin d it simply makes sense that our officials recommend that people take vitamin d at least 2-3 times a week. Studies have shown that daily doses is beneficial and not irregular dosing. It is true it could be harmful in higher doses but more reason to come out with a recommendation dose like 600 iu daily. It is well known that many Americans have poor lifestyle and health issues that make them susceptible to this virus. Vitamin d is not just an indicator for these diseases but is beneficial for people that are often deficient in vitamin d.It is becoming clear that as the lancet paper certain demographics such as seen in New York and Los Angeles are experiencing a higher severity and morbidity rate and this is likely due to underlying health problems in a given community.

The vast majority of healthy people infected with the virus are asymptiomatic or just mild symptoms while those with certain issues particularly m etabolic syndromes such as diabetes and vascular diseases are very susceptible to the virus. Researchersxare identifying the mechanism that makes these individuals more susceptible to the virus and one of these factors is vitamin d either directly or indirectly. It is just good advice that the high risk people as well as anyone take vitamin d for their general health.

I consider this article an example of very poor journalism and in fact an example of misinformation in the general news media that is very disturbing and as such our health authorities should be recommending a regular dosage that people take vitamin d not just for Covid but for the many other diseases that it benefits that are the high risk for Covid.

Why is that? It appears pretty well written, explaining how the groups hardest hit, the poor and old also are most likely to have low D levels. It really does not document well the basis for its conclusions, but accurately states that studies are still pending regarding Covid 19 while some studies have shown benefit in other respiratory disease.

Personally, I have found Vit D levels problematic, as low levels are often found in healthy people who spend lots of time in the sun, which makes me doubt either the test or the normal limits. No doubt, Vit D is important to health and is cheap and safe, so no harm taking it, as opposed to hydroxychloroquine, but also no indication that megadoses will help you. That said, I often recommend supplementation for those who either test low or spend lots of time indoors, usually at 2000 units or so daily.

1 Like

And here is today’s email:

1 Like

Another similar article on vit D I ran across:

1 Like

Since mosquitoes are really after the vitamin d in your blood, does supplementation attract them to you? Interesting thought.

Ok was I wrong! I get the dunce cap today…sorry!
And I will return to the topic @pevaquark @MarkD @beaglelady @glipsnort

1 Like

Note to self: next camping trip pack the vitamin d supplements and share liberally.

Say what?
||

1 Like

If your kid plays with a chain saw inside the home, it’s still a wee problem. Or gets into your pot. or whatever.

I think they’re more interested in your blood, and aren’t very fussy beyond that.

1 Like

Why don’t you volunteer to pass out the Christian swag bags and refuse to wear a mask? Be sure to lean into the car widow and explain to the kiddos why the exercise of your personal liberty is more important than their health or the health of their parents.

3 Likes

I hear vitamin D pairs nicely with bleach.

2 Likes

Jay, apparently my views have gotten on your nerves.

But I will answer you question anyway:

1. Doing so would reflect poorly on the church and
  2. Doing so would not be allowed by the church, the sponsor of the activity.

People can believe in freedom and still give up part of it for the good of others.

I have been in a small meeting a couple of times with that icon of civil rights, Andy Young.

He was asked once about a particular invasion of privacy. He said that he believed no one should have to give up that freedom, but that he gave up certain freedoms to be in public service.

But in one way you are right, kids do need to know the values of freedom. An event handing out things at church is just not the right forum for that very important message.