My Queen, THE Queen, has passed

If it’s appropriate here, may I ask a question regarding Accession traditions? @Klax mentioned the Second Proclamation. Is “the Second Proclamation” a traditional concept that would be understood in the same way in reference to most any other British monarch? I haven’t been able to find what I think is a clear answer online.
Related, are there additional, “numbered” or otherwise named Proclamations of Accession that would also be culturally recongizable.
Thanks!

The practice had been to read it first [@10am] from the Friary Court balcony at St James’s Palace and [2ndly], in the City of London, the custom had been to lay it before the Court of Aldermen and to read it, after a ceremony at Temple Bar, London, at the corner of Chancery Lane, in Fleet Street, and at the Royal Exchange[@noon].

On Elizabeth’s coronation she was proclaimed between in Trafalgar Square at 11 a.m. I didn’t note any reading at Chancery Lane.

1 Like

Hearing Razia Iqbal covering the funeral day on BBC World Service via NPR. Stately and appropriate.

1 Like

NT Wright: Remembering Queen Elizabeth II (19:04)
(A worthwhile listen.)

1 Like

The funerals of the Queen were a news topic around the globe. It was nice to hear that even the secular main news of Finland (by Yle that has here the same role as BBC in Britain) mentioned the deep faith of the Queen and showed in several newscasts how the prime minister was reading a passage from the gospel of John.

The light of a candle does not remain hidden in darkness and the same seems to be true for the faith of the Queen.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.