My Queen, THE Queen, has passed

Professor Uju Anya, God speed your healing and grace. May you know the shame I have for our shared cultural heritage that created such privileged spite.

2 Likes

Be grateful, including for the greatest public servant and diplomat in history.

Her Majesty’s government and subjects have punched way above their weight for Ukraine as Ukraine :ukraine: generously expresses.

God save the King.

3 Likes

Ohh my .Nope i wont get into this ,Nope nope i wont engage further. Have a great day!

Our church here in the states maintains strong bonds of affection with the old country. Both our rector and our music director are British, and we often have British guest teachers and preachers. The rector has mentioned the Queen in glowing terms before, and I expect our Saturday newsletter will have a good article about her.

3 Likes

I don’t know the
correct etiquette, but I would speak condolances of whatever kind is proper.

Her situation was always complicated. But there has always been much to admire in her, no matter what the complications were. I fell in love with her, learning about her driving the SAian prince around herself. God bless the Queen.
Her message to her people during the beginning of lock downs was incomparable. She won my gratitude and admiration simply for doing well what any national leader worth her salt would do. No peer in this land.

3 Likes

The Queen was highly respected throughout the world and for good reason. I live in a republic and am a bit reserved about the cultural manners the English/Brittish monarchy and upper class spread. Yet, I fully respect the life of the Queen.

As the Queen, she had to play her role in a very restricted manner, as a professional. The way how she expressed her thinking and faith, especially during the last decades, was constrained but her faith in God was evident.

5 Likes

May I humbly suggest that to keep this thread on topic, sensitive, and appropriate, we restrict discussion to condolences and memories of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and congratulations and aspirations for the accession of His Majesty King Charles III?

There is a time and a place for discussions about the merits or otherwise of the constitutional monarchy of the United Kingdom in particular, the concept of monarchy in general, and how we should view them as Christians. But it is not here and it is not now. Those questions can be discussed on a separate thread at an appropriate time. This is an emotional time for many, and as such it needs to be approached sensitively.

Those of us who live in, or are citizens of the United Kingdom have a lot of love and respect for the Queen. She was more than just the Head of State, she was something of a mother figure to the nation, someone who was able to give us a sense of belonging even at times when things seemed to be going pear shaped. Those of us who are Christians were also heartened and encouraged by the way that she spoke openly about her faith and about the Christian message of hope, especially in her annual Queen’s Speech on Christmas Day.

10 Likes

My church here in the USA had a lengthy piece about the Queen in the weekly newsletter.

A few excerpts:

Every Christmas, she always spoke of her faith in Jesus Christ who was her rock; her coronation was celebrated in the context of the Eucharist; her anointing with holy oil a sign that she was to be a leader of faith.
Sunday will be very poignant as we commemorate all who died on 9/11 at the 4 p.m. Choral Evensong. As many of you know, the memorial is inscribed with words of Queen Elizabeth - 'Grief is the price we pay for love.' It is, therefore, fitting that we will also pray for her when we pray for those who died on 9/11, and also pray for ourselves that we may be faithful to the Lord until our own journey is ended.

A Book of Condolence and Remembrance has been opened in the Church, and after the funeral the book will be sent to the royal family.

5 Likes

I don’t know anything about her since she played no role in my life. As far as why some are celebrating her death, I guess I don’t see any particular reason for it. I know within the black community where I live I’ve heard many saying they don’t care about some racist dying and stuff about how one the princes marrying a black woman who was an actress from suits. I recognize the actress and I know I saw a few episodes of it but I have no idea what if any drama happened between them. I know some view monarchy in general as colonialism and think all of the royal family is essentially riding on the wealth stolen from others. But I have no idea what or if any corrective action was, or should be done by modern people, or if in this modern era they were still actively causing harm and if it’s even right to merge the queen who was simply born or married into it has much authority with what happened.

So ultimately for me, it’s beyond my control or concern by leaps and bounds and I can’t even tell you their last names or whose who or be able to pick them out of a crowd. But I presume she’s probably as decent as the next person. She’s probably helped out random people just like most of us. I think essentially all death is a bit sad, even the death of people I don’t know and so it has zero emotional affect on me. People die everyday, and sometimes those people are famous and when famous people die there is more awareness brought to it then to a homeless man. It’s just the nature of having billions of humans on this earth. There is probably some homeless dude that is going to die tonight alone. But we don’t know who he is and it’s not our fault and it’s not the queens fault for being famous while the unknown guy is not.

But I don’t think she’s being treated as a god. She’s being treated like a famous person whose also a sort of politician. When Trump dies some will celebrate and someone will mourn and some won’t think a thing about it.

There you go flaging comments again.

"I am hiding nothing from you either great or small in my speech, nor am I holding anything back. And yet I know rather well that I incur hatred by these very things; which is also a proof that I speak the truth, and that this is the slander against me, and that these are its causes.”

Plato

Waiting for this to get flagged as well since i guess its offensive

There had just been this request to treat this thread exclusively as a place to keep comments appropriate to those who may be grieving. Everyone is welcome to discuss anything they like including critical opinions of the queen who just passed, but not here. We don’t have monarchy where I am so I don’t know what it is exactly to lose a queen but I understand it is like losing family so I think this request deserves to be honored:

May I humbly suggest that to keep this thread on topic, sensitive, and appropriate, we restrict discussion to condolences and memories of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and congratulations and aspirations for the accession of His Majesty King Charles III?

5 Likes

We had the awesome privilege of becoming part of history at the right hand edge here.

2 Likes

I am not a royalist by nature but Queen Elizabeth was a remarkable woman, dedicated to her position and her Christian faith. I really do not understand the claims of surprise and all the baggage that accompanies it. It was only a matter of time. I guess it might have been nice for her to have made100.
I hope things will be kept in the right perspective unlike with Diana. Charles has a difficult transition. I have been pleasantly surprised so far. We honour and remember the Queen but God save the king!

Richard

4 Likes

A time stamp would help. But what a thing to witness in person! Very happy for you.

1 Like

Noon BST, Saturday 10/09/22, the Royal Exchange across from the Bank of England. The Second Proclamation.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I think I found the right far right-hand-side pixel. It was very impressive, even on my tablet. It must have been incredible, standing there (on the right-hand edge) as a witness. No one has done that in over a generation.

The most British thing ever:

On a more serious note, should be a very fitting honor for a wonderful woman.

1 Like