My battle with depression

I dont know if i can talk for this stuff because im fairly new so if any moderator find this against the rules feel free to delete it .
So yeah as the title said anyone here with depression? I havent diagnosed and cant see a doctor right now due to money issues and some other health problems (not so serious) but yeah. I have nearly lost interest in everything. I cant see good anymore in this world (although i know it exists) and that really saddens me. The only thing thay gives me joy is talking with my family and sometimes hang out with friends and talking with you people on this forum. These things and primarily the fear of me might end up in Hell is preventing me to not commit suicide(sometimes depression kicks in and i just burst to tears) See a lot of people say that God can get you out of this but i dont see how. Quite the opposite. Seeing how hostile are a handfull of people towards us im really afraid sometimes to speak for my faith. I know its wrong but i cant help it. I feel very anxious starting a conversation with people and sometimes i burst into cold sweat . Anyway anyone with any i dont know like advice feel free. God bless

4 Likes

Hi Nick,
I hope you find someone to talk to very soon. I am absolutely sure that there are many people who will be eager and honored to “get you out of this.” And I think you came to a good place to find encouragement. I think you will soon see BioLogos people offering specific help and encouragement. I don’t know where you live but if it’s anywhere near Boston I think I can put you in touch with Christians who would do anything to help. You are welcome to contact me at sfmatheson@gmail.com. And again, I know that others here will also rally to your side.

7 Likes

I live in Greece. But thank you. Yeah it really is difficult. And again sorry for disturbing the community

1 Like

Well, that’s a bit too far from Boston :slight_smile: But Nick, you didn’t “disturb the community.” Watch and see. People will come to your side. Please take care.

3 Likes

Problem is that due to me being in a very small cycle of friends and family losing someone i think would be a big blow for me .Thats another thing i fear

4 Likes

Hi Nick,

I don’t think you’re disturbing anyone. You’re not alone by any means. Some of us (myself included) have had similar struggles ourselves. I had a really hard time myself when I was at university, and then about ten years later after my father died. Depression is a horrible, horrible thing, and it doesn’t help if people are judging you or condemning you or saying unhelpful things to you or heaping unrealistic expectations and putting heavy burdens on you.

I’ll be praying for you, and I’m sure others will too, but is there anything else that we can do to help in addition to that?

3 Likes

Hi Nick, and welcome to the Forum. I am particularly worried about your depression. Can you call a national hotline there in Greece? In the US, we would advise you to go straight to the emergency room. Usually, we can get in touch with social workers in good mental service help there. You are certainly not alone.

2 Likes

I just wanted to share that with you. A prayer is enough. God bless you

Well we have a suicide prevention line. Thats how far it goes. I dont think we have an emergency line.

1 Like

You in good company @NickolaosPappas, I have dealt with random spurs of depression myself due to relational loneliness and being single but I know that all is good and that I have God as my foundation, but of course that is easier said then done and there are some days where I feel like the most stupidest person on earth and other ugly feelings. Also a lot of people in the Bible dealt with depression, look to Elijah and David and Job. I am reminded of Psalm 22:6-8, 16-19.

But You; O LORD, be not far off; O You my help, hasten to my assistance.

Psalm 25:16 is also a good one that I come too.

Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.

Psalm 27:5 is another good one that I think one a lot and the imagery that goes with it.

For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle; in the secret place of His tent He will hide me; He will lift me up on a rock.

Matt. 11:28 is a good reminder of us all with issues of what Jesus ask of us.

Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.

I will be praying for you and that God will help you in this season of your life. God bless and may the Peace of God come upon and lift your heart up high. With all blessing and peace we get and receive from Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

2 Likes

Thanks for your prayers. I hope God will listen . Thank you and God bless

1 Like

Please would you consider calling the Prevention Hotline? Those have been very helpful. Is particularly important to talk with somebody who is trained . God bless. Thank you.

1 Like

Nick, being able to talk about it is a good thing. Stephen is right, you need to seek counseling as it helps to have someone listen in the flesh. Depression is a part of life most of us share, but it can be overwhelming. Counseling helps, and medication has a role in treatment though is often not as effective as we would like. I suspect Greece has some resources at little cost that are available but a quick google search shows that mental health care in Greece is in a sad state. Still, as Randy said, it is important to seek help.
One effective treatment is called cognitive behavioral therapy. It basically is a way of encouraging positive thoughts and avoiding focusing on the negative, pushing those thoughts aside and denying them power over you. When I am depressed, ruminating over negative thoughts is a big problem. From a Christian perspective, the principle is much the same as written in Philippians 4:7-8-
" Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

5 Likes

Right now im not considering to but sometimes (most likely when bad things happen) my depression kicks in and I’m starting to have suicidal thoughts. I will the next time but i doubt theyll do something. They will just hear me out

Maybe find me a therapist. That will be great . But if the only listen to me then how long are they supposed to? I cannot call them everytime i feel that way. Ill feel even more aufull if i do that.

And yeah plus the government has done nothing to aid the mentally ill and the depressed people. So i dont know how will that go. I just dont know.( Sorry for getting political there for a second but its true)

2 Likes

Hi, Nick. You are in our thoughts and prayers. As others have also said, we hope you can find some community or professional support where you are. But we also hope to be a supportive online community for you here and now. You aren’t alone.

5 Likes

Nick, I’m so sorry you’ve been feeling this way and dealing with these difficulties. Others here have given you good advice, and I’m glad you are able to find some activities that bring you joy. I have struggled with faith-related anxieties too, and I will pray for you as you navigate these. Based on your comments above, it sounds like you’re feeling a degree of pressure to engage in conversations with people about faith? Am I reading that right?

1 Like

Not only faith but in general. I just cannot start a conversation. And if they talk to me first(which rarely happens im anxious if theyll ask me about what i believe.

Do you have any physical limitations that would keep you from exercising? I understand (and from personal experience) that it helps. I used to be a regular bicyclist, and I know the days that I rode I always felt better. (I have had issues with depression, too.)

A book, too, that might help is One Thousand Gifts:

It starts with her toddler sister being killed by a delivery truck in their farmyard when the author was five. I wonder if I could buy it for you somehow. Could you it read in a Kindle app? If you can, give me your email address in a private message here at BioLogos and I can try and send it to you.

2 Likes