More concordism may be appropriate

Here and there the prose soars.

And the magic realism is ok.

In what way? As an exercise in cognitive bias? What?

I think we have God’s revelation of himself in the Bible is just as he intended. One of the things it does is require some humility. Dietrich Bonhoeffer understood:

In an interesting way.

What interests me certainly doesn’t have to interest you.

Indeed not, but what about this story of cognitive bias interests you? All of it? Nothing stands out?

We all have confirmation bias in accord with our worldview. Some biases are correct.

Unlike pigs not all cognitive biases are created equal. Some cognitive biases are more cognitive than others.

I don’t consider it a story of cognitive bias.

My mistake to think you were actually interested in the subject. I am reminded of the old saw, “You can lead a horse to water…”.

I’m certainly interested if science has found Sodom. But it hasn’t. It never will. If you think inerrant Collins has, then neither of you is disinterested. You can lead me in any scientific discipline, empirically and beyond, that you are trained in. Any time. I can drink science. But I can’t do it through the narrow straw of faith. Being a horse. I quaff it, suck it up.

You must not have actually read Collins. He is certainly not an inerrantist (if there is such a description). If fact others object to his reading Genesis in a realistic fashion and not literally.

Never is a long time. Did someone say more concordism might be appropriate?

1 Like

You are welcome to your opinion. But the art and music alone inspired by the Bible comprise an embarrassment of riches. Can you think of a greater musical masterpiece than Bach’s Saint Matthew Passion?

1 Like

You make a good point. Music affects us more directly without the need for conceptual assent. Probably most of the music we encounter comes from lands within the influence of Christiandom. However I find the rhythms of East Indian and some African music also quite inspired. But for contemplation I’d go with Bach.

1 Like

Perhaps the most important point made in the article about mining at Timna and “King Solomon’s actual mines” is the importance of reading the Bible carefully in assessing its archaeological signature. The article itself could use a bit more attention to that – the myth that camels are an anachronism in Abraham’s time, and archaeological evidence that they were in some use in the Near East at that time, both go back nearly a century. Genesis does not say that there was a camel in every garage; it says that a family of rich nomads who came from another region had some camels near the end of the list of their wealth. The copper mines seem more likely to be a place where camel caravans might stop for some trading than a place to keep camels, and thus might not be a prime area for accumulating dead camels.
In reality, radiometric dating and assuming reasonably consistent duration of similar archaeological layers both indicate that the minimalist denial of the united kingdom is untrue. Certainly, the biblical account includes some conventional hyperbole and counts tributary but otherwise uncontrolled areas as part of the kingdom.
The evidence on the claimed site for Sodom is not so good. It actually is claimed that a significant amount of salt was found. But the rigor is problematic. The paper making a case for an airburst destruction (A Tunguska sized airburst destroyed Tall el-Hammam a Middle Bronze Age city in the Jordan Valley near the Dead Sea | Scientific Reports) has a number of problems. Ironically, one that hasn’t been particularly brought up is that the date they got is culturally rather too late for Abraham and doesn’t work so well with seeing the Bible as historically reliable. (However, as they did not use the method of combining 14C dates correctly, the dating is actually quite uncertain.) There was also a fair amount of photoshopping in the photos – mostly ill-conceived attempts to cover up irrelevant labels (why didn’t they have the original photos to use?) but some directional arrows appear to be altered. Overall, it seems overly connected with “everything’s an impact and our cities are in danger now” attitudes.

Here’s the guy who really found Sodom.https://evidence-for-the-bible.com/archeological-evidence-for-the-bible/archeological-evidence-for-the-destruction-of-sodom-and-gomorrah/

Ron Wyatt is the super Indiana Jones of biblical srchaeology

1 Like

Which guy? I see none mentioned in this badly written fiction.

Sorry but that location doesn’t match the story in Genesis. People have been proposing possible locations for a very long time.

I would agree with you on this.

So Collins refutes wiki: ‘Steven Collins is an American inerrantist biblical archaeologist known for claiming to have discovered the site of the biblical city of Sodom at Tall el-Hammam in Jordan.’?

I’m confused. Multiply. You’re interested in this non-accredited faith ‘university’ employee’s story using doctored evidence, which they admit, about a location you know not to be Sodom.

Why? Because you are? Yes, but why are you? Why should we be? If we shouldn’t be, why did you mention it?

Of course its nonsense. Biblical " archaeology" is rife with it.