Masking efficacy

Not to make a big deal of it, but it seems both motivations are in play, and maybe self-protection a little more, per these two links, anyway:

Yes I have seen this before and it makes sense and does make the argument for wearing a mask more compelling, That was not my point though, which was the ā€œall about meā€ philosophy that I seem to see so much these days. I just feel that a little more respect for ā€œone anotherā€ would go a long way in todays world.

2 Likes

I agree. The only beef I have with the Zdogg video was that they criticized the CDC for appealing to our better natures. I thought that there are some nations in Europe that could do this and get a good response. I think we set our bar too low.

Talking to some about getting the flu shot to help others seems to have changed their minds, too, in my experience.

Thanks.

1 Like

I just saw the last episode, ā€œLiving on Autopilotā€, of the PBS four-part ā€œHacking Your Mindā€ series, and I would recommend it.

It is largely about individuals making decisions that affect society as well as themselves, including public health. Part is about China manipulating citizens using social media. Last weekā€™s was good, too, ā€œWeapons of Influenceā€, about conspiracism and fake news, including a good piece on Russian social media meddling in the 2016 U.S. election. It is available streaming already ā€“ click on ā€œEpisodesā€ to see all four:

3 Likes

Will have to catch it, saw the previous episode and it was interesting how political ads use our emotions and manipulate our behavior.

2 Likes

If surgeons start wearing propeller beanies instead of face masks during surgery that might be a good analogy.

4 Likes

Good for you. For all the no-mask civil libertarians out there, hereā€™s an interesting thread on Reddit with one representative post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/j2pb9a/serious_people_from_reddit_who_survived_corona/

thotgirlisalady
Covid changed the trajectory of my life. I feel so lost. My family lives in Florida, where the infection rate is incredibly high. I came down from NY to help my parents by doing the grocery shopping, etcā€¦ so they wouldnā€™t need to leave home. It spread through my family like wildfire.
First, my 28yr sister got it and ended up in the hospital for over a week on oxygen. She is now fully recovered. (She works with the public, and though she wore a mask, Florida never mandated wearing masks in most businesses).
Then, my sister-in-law got it. She then gave it to my 2yr old niece (she tested positive but never showed symptoms), 7yr niece, and my brother. My sister-in-law was hospitalized for about a week, and 3 months later, continues to have lung capacity issues and a persistent cough. My brother and nieces recovered without hospitalization.
I caught it, possibly from caring for my nieces while my brother and sister-in-law were in the hospital (although I was as careful as possibleā€¦ but keeping a face shield/mask on a two year old is impossible). I was incredibly ill for about a month. It was difficult to get out of bed, and there were days when the exertion from getting out of bed left me breathless for 30min. I couldnā€™t talk without losing my breath, my whole body ached. It felt like I had been hit by a car. I wasnā€™t able to resume any kind of normal functioning for a month. Today my lung capacity isnā€™t quite where it was before, but it has continued to increase over time.
My aunt caught it. She died in the hospital 3 weeks ago.
My mom caught it. From the home health-care nurse we hired to decrease her exposure, who decided to go to the beach with her family for a weekend, even though she promised us that she would stay in quarantine. My mom fought for weeks, struggling for every breath. Sheā€™s on a ventilator now, on 100% oxygen. Her doctors met with us via a phone conference last week to inform us that we should start preparing for her death. Weā€™ve decided to let her go in three days. Sheā€™s 68 years old. I havenā€™t been able to hug her in 6 months. I havenā€™t heard her voice in a month. Sheā€™s going to die alone in a hospital, without ever regaining consciousness, as her children grieve alone, in separate housing, just a few miles away.
The sheriff in our county banned all masks in the police departments and banned all officers from wearing them. Our schools donā€™t follow basic safety measures, most local businesses donā€™t wear masks (even when preparing food) and donā€™t require masks.
My family continuously wore masks to protect our community, but we werenā€™t shown the same human decency.
Iā€™m 24. My mom wonā€™t help me put on my wedding dress. She wonā€™t call me on my birthday. Sheā€™ll never know her future grandchildren. Iā€™ll never be able to call her again for recipes, advice, or when I need comfort. I feel so lost.
I told my boyfriend last night that I canā€™t bear the thought of celebrating Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. Weā€™re planning on going to the family cabin for the next several months to grieve and hold each other. It feels like my mother was murderedā€¦ by grown-ass adults who couldnā€™t be bothered to wear a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  mask.

5 Likes

Last one:

Duexnoxx
Iā€™m a traveling ICU nurse who has worked in a Corona-unit since Feburary/March. I didnā€™t get covid until August. Iā€™ll describe my disease course. Feel free to skip to the after effects if you arenā€™t interested. For the record: Iā€™m 28, I run 5 miles 4 days a week around (6-6:30 min pace) and weightlift 7 days a week. Iā€™m also vegan (150-200g of protein a day, since people will ask). I consider myself in extremely good shape. I thought covid would just blow over me. Take that into account as you read. Disease course - One day I woke up and just felt, ā€œoff.ā€ I had a mild temp of 99.0 and so I kinda blew it off. The next day the second I woke up I knew. I went to the urgent care and was covid positive (they thought I may have strep as well but didnā€™t bother testing me for it). Over the course of the next 16(ish) days I thought I was dying. Oxygen saturation got down to 90%, my activity tolerance was zero so that getting out of bed and walking to the toilet ~25ft~ had me on my hands and knees with my vision going red. My back and sides ached so bad that by day 3 I couldnā€™t lay down and spent most of my days sitting, leaning over a desk on the tripod position. My fever was 102.9 and if I wasnā€™t wearing multiple pieces of clothing I was shaking so bad my whole body hurt. I tried taking acetaminophen but then I sweat so bad I drenched my clothes, my bed, everything I touched it was impossible to stay dry, also resulting in full body shivering (I only attempted to take it twice, even then my temp only fell to 101Ā°F). I also had ā€œsinus headachesā€ which kept me from moving my head or eyes too quickly from side to side or attempting to prone myself as the blood would move towards my skull making it unbearably painful. I felt so bad and made no recovery for about 14 days that I often thought of taking my life instead of slowly dying and being a burden to those around me. I also had mild hallucinations. A lot of them recovlved around death and me dying. Lots of dark thoughts kept circling my mind. It was like a movie reel going a thousand images per minute that I couldnt shut off or slow down. Around day 15 I actually started to recover, slowly. After effects - itā€™s been about 2 months since I recovered now. Iā€™m back to running and lifting just as I was before. I get short of breath every now and then but itā€™s kinda random, never when I would expect, like when running. I would say I have 10% of my taste and smell back. Iā€™m also back to working in the ICU. The biggest thing Iā€™m trying to overcome still is the lethargy and malaise. On days I donā€™t work Iā€™m only awake for around 10-11 hours then Iā€™m out. I HAVE to sleep 9-10 hours in order to even function. Iā€™ve heard of people say ā€œcovid fogā€ or ā€œcovid brainā€ and itā€™s extremely real. I have trouble focusing, I canā€™t remember something I said earlier in the day. Trying to recall something a few days ago is impossible. I forget what I ate for breakfast at dinner. My memory is just gone. (It does NOT impede work, If it did I would not go back). Also, my sex drive is non existent either, which wasnā€™t ever a issue before.

My memory, sex drive and lethargy has put a LOT of strain on all the relationships around me. People have been somewhat understanding but after 2-3 months of this they are obviously worn thin by it and some have commented ā€œI canā€™t blame covid foreverā€ I really donā€™t know what to do or how to convey to them how much it hurts me that I feel powerless to the after effects. Iā€™m active, eat right and do everything I can to try and overcome/fully recover, but itā€™s just not quick enough.

4 Likes

Once recently when I spoke in defense of local mandate to wear masks in public, a lady responded that she guessed I wanted people to tell me what to do.

Darn shootin I do. I want the government to tell me what side of the street to drive on. And that is one of many many examples where I want the government to dictate to people what they can or cannot do when public health and safety requires it. The demand for freedom not to wear masks is as insane and idiotic as a demand for the freedom to drive on whichever side of the street you want. No I do not look with nostalgia upon a free past where so many people died in countless unnecessary ways because people were so free to do all kinds of stupid and irresponsible things all the time.

5 Likes

Which side of the road to drive on is my wifeā€™s pro-masking analogy, too. :+1: (There are many more, as you implied.)

2 Likes

The virus mutates, so it can be said that the wearing of masks is now permanent. Is that okay?

Well, the conclusion doesnā€™t follow from the premise, so if you were trying to make a valid argument ā€“ no, not okay.

2 Likes

Well if the virus mutates indefinitely, then they can say that there is an ongoing danger. And when does that change? So masks would become the norm.

Measles mutates indefinitely, too, and is more contagious than SARS-CoV-2. Why donā€™t we wear masks to avoid transmitting measles?

3 Likes

So we shouldnā€™t see any mask wearing as an ongoing law. Good.

How about, weā€™ll mask wearing mandate if and when itā€™s needed?

2 Likes

You are talking to an anti-masker. I havenā€™t worn a mask but I should also say I havenā€™t gone into any places that demand mask wearing. And I see a lot of others not wearing masks here also. I am in Cairns in Australia. The sum total of death in the whole of Queensland is 6.
I think infection can be overcome by ensuring that our immune system is working to its full capacity. Since I discovered that back in my 20s, I have not had any infections or infectious diseases, not even the flu. And I am in my early 70s now.
People who are immunosuppressed may need to wear masks, but I donā€™t believe it should be necessary for everyone.

Please show a randomized controlled, blinded trial supporting that we can deal with a pandemic by immune support.

2 Likes

randomized controlled, blinded trial are conducted by drug companies. Do you really believe that they would do such a thing?

No, anyone can do that. Science is science. Chiropractic tried and failed. You can look in Pub Med.

1 Like