Masking efficacy

On the contrary everyone can bring their immunity to full capacity, but if you speak up about it a lot of people want to cut you down. The drug companies have made drug trials so expensive no one else can do a trial.

Yes, I know.

I’m aware that you are deeply convinced of your own beliefs, and also that your ideas on viruses and the immune system have virtually no connection to reality. If you successfully convince enough others of your ideas, you will be responsible for killing people. That’s the unfortunate reality.

10 Likes

If you want to discuss a randomized trial, that’s fine. Thanks.

On the contrary. I have helped others get well from diseases, recover their health. So no. And for the record, I don’t advise people not to follow their doctors orders. My advice is does not interfere with any medical treatments or practices people want to have. The only down side there can be is that the doctor may lose some of their potential income because the patient recovers or recovers more quickly.

Your compassion is admirable. If you direct it to care safely, many may benefit.

I am a family doc. I solemnly say that I and all of the colleagues I know would agree that if there is a scientifically proven, safe method of treatment that lessens suffering and improves mortality, I will gladly recommend it, the more so if it is cheap.

If all disease went away, I would gladly give up my job and do something else. I always wanted to farm and teach English lit!

However, unproven treatment I can not support.

I am impressed with your empathy.
Thanks.

4 Likes

The most recent projections for Covid deaths in the U.S.

If 95% of the population wore masks in public, as opposed to 70% now, about 80,000 lives would be saved. So the 25% who refuse have killed 80,000 people who didn’t have to die. Is your personal liberty worth 80,000 lives?

And by the way, this is the same UW model that the White House uses and that has consistently underestimated the number of deaths from the beginning. I suspect we’ll be closer to 500,000 by February, based on past history. It could be worse if hospital beds and ICUs are full.

3 Likes

I spoke to several cardiologists on the net and one of them did agree with me that anxiety was behind at least some of heart disease. Anxiety though not as chemical imbalances in the brain as psychiatrists claim.
Anxiety I told him I found was a mix of two conflicting emotions, not coincidental but in rapid succession of one another. One is fear that raises the metabolism and the other is worry that lowers the metabolism to give the brain an advantage for fuel materials over the musculature. The person perceives of an external danger/ problem and experiences fear then they try to find a resolution so worry. In thinking about it they realize again the danger so fear comes into play again and so on.
The cardiologist said “yes, yes, that sound right. It is what I see in a lot of my patients a lot of the time”.
I said "well why not help them resolve the life issues? not by sending them to a psychiatrist of course.
He said “I can’t do that because there is no evidence”.
No evidence? It turned out that evidence meant that there had to be something in the medical journals. If there wasn’t and he treated them in this way he could find himself in jail.
So when do you thing the biomedical scientists will do the experiments so that there will be evidence? Their funders won’t want this research done. How can it be done? Maybe never. There is no money in it for them. Heck they may lose hundreds of billion in pharmaceuticals every year. I told another doctor somewhere on another forum that doctors needed to band together and demand certain work be done but he didn’t seem to like my request. Still he is only one doctor. What does the majority think?

If the 6,000 odd people with covid 19 were not sent to the nursing homes to infect staff and old people in the homes then 88,000 lives would have been saved.
You’re the richest country in the world. Surely you can set up some facilities in a hurry. China has been able to built full on big facilities for such situation in just two weeks. That is nearly half of the total lives lost.
But if you say look wear your mask and take your medicines but also do this that doesn’t interfere with your treatment, then you are a potential killer.

I never said that if the person has a serious condition, which needs urgent treatment like a heart attack, that you don’t give medical treatment. You are accusing me of that even when I said that is not what I am about. If there is an urgent problem it needs medical treatment.

Do I understand the pathology? Let’s take the case that you presented of the plaques in the arterial walls. This is an ongoing problem, not an emergency that needs immediate treatment. If a person is stressed over time then they are going to run a higher heart rate and as a result higher blood pressure.

What I found (my means of investigation are unconventional), was that the red blood cells in particular, as they are screaming through the arteries when there is high blood presure, end up crashing into the walls now and then causing damage. The body tries to repair the damage. And to do the repairs cholesterol is needed. As you know the cell membrane, which needs to be repaired, is made of lipids.

If the person is stressed over time then the repairs get damaged and so there is repairs on the repairs. So more and more cholesterol is needed. That means that they end up with a build up of cholesterol, i.e., plaques form.
You can give statins, which affect with liver function so he cholesterol is not delivered to the sites in the same amount, but they are not without side effects. Now, depending on the extent of the problem that may be needed in the short term. But it is not a desirable long term solution.

To overcome the problem you have to help the person overcome the stress. If they can address the issues that are stressing them then their metabolism can return to resting metabolism so the body can undergo the repairs and clean up.

Meditation is not a solution to medical problems and neither is yoga. Also counselling that most psychologists do considering childhood issues etc., is also no good. You have to address the current issue. There may be someone in the person’s life who is causing them distress. This needs to be resolved.
I had a quick look so far I don’t see the Cochrane site give any solutions that will guarantee the restoration of health and that is what is needed.

What about one that might investigate excessive inflammation in the lungs? This is a trial that you can do.

I apologize for misunderstanding. That’s great!

Plaque is the underlying portion that leads to a heart attack. We can get into the actual MI with ulceration, thrombosis, etc if you like. I was addressing what I thought (mistakenly) was written above, that anxiety treatment can take the place of standard treatment. I apologize.

There are other things to discuss in the following paragraphs. I’m at work and can’t address right now.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you for your note and care of the whole person. Again, I apologize. I withdrew my post above because of my mistake.

There’s an interesting book a friend of mine wrote, called “Stop Making Yourself Sick” (Harold Adolph). I wonder if that’s the vein you’re thinking of. There are some psychological studies on the types of personalities that are out there, how they deal with stress, and whether that increases their risk of heart disease. You may know them. Type A personalities do tend to have more disease. It’s not a hard and fast rule, as inheritance and environment also play in a lot, as you know.

Regarding psychology, I agree strongly. The Freudian approach of analysis is quite falling out of favor–and many psychologists would agree with you nowadays, that trying to blame circumstances and people for your personality is not appropriate or helpful. It’s shifted, to my understanding (I am not a counselor) to behavioral approaches (proactive, mindfulness ones). I agree that there are much better outcomes with the question, “What do we do now,” rather than wallowing in problems.

A fascinating field is how cardiologists treat heart disease. They’re really moving away from stenting in many cases. Newer guidelines on statins aim to use their plaque and anti-ulcer activity (which is about half of their action, the rest being cholesterol; it’s more like an aspirin, with anti-inflammatory function) indefinitely for those of a risk of heart attack or stroke of 7.5% or more. They even delay aspirin till about 10% risk in many cases, putting the statin first. It’s a very interesting field that has changed a lot (and is still challenging me with lots to learn), even in the 15 years since I graduated from residency training.

Another interesting area of research is conversion disorders, which is not exactly what you’re writing about (but related in some ways, I think).

Thank you again. I think that Cochrane actually can find some more answers in relationship to these issues, but I have to get to work again and will think about how to do the search better.

2 Likes

Your apology accepted. But no worries, I just wanted to make sure you realized that I am not against medical treatments. Of course they are needed, especially in urgent cases.
I don’t know about the book but there are some cases where a person can make themselves sick. However to answer this I sent you a message as it is off topic here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.