Interactive risk assessment by county

This is really cool.

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/?fbclid=IwAR0wKcIpnewWS4MKAG5EbE20v1k-iaXXjCjWD56El_tM7FuKnYDhU8ePpwQ

You can go to any county and choose an event size (10-10000 people) and you get the chance that one person at the event is COVID-19 positive.

2 Likes

Yes, it is, especially the event size slider. A little more precision in it would be nice, but hey.

It is interesting. Those rambling wrecks do a good job.

This highlights why a one-size-fits-all national strategy is inappropriate.

Understood correctly, it does a good job of demonstrating why everyone (with relatively few exceptions) should wear a mask.

4 Likes

Thurston County, Nebraska, is an excellent example of why a one size fits all national strategy with respect to masks is extremely appropriate.

(One size fits all; some complain more. :grin: That’s true with articles of clothing, too. :grin:)

Alameda County, California isn’t such a great place to be in this pandemic. But I think we’ll ride it out where we are nonetheless. Didn’t find the place to adjust the event size, but for whatever the default is there is a 75% chance of having a vector present. Mask use is appalling in my neighborhood so we exercise before sun up and then, like vampires, repair to our lair.

I took a COVID test yesterday in advance of getting a knee replacement this Friday. It was originally scheduled back in April but was postponed. I had called and told the scheduler that if they had a cancellation I’d be happy to fill in. So they let me know last week about this opportunity. Looking forward to being able to keep up with my dogs again.

4 Likes

In our prayers. Knee replacement has greatly improved but is still a major big deal. Rehab well, my friend.

2 Likes

The adjuster is down in the lower left corner. There is a slider.

1 Like

I’ve been prepping for this for a while and the knee in question has not been as flexible or as strong as it is now in years. Bit of bad luck though. Just last Friday I got up in the middle of the night tripped on my own sandal and badly damaged the small toe on my (formerly) good knee. It got swollen but not too painful to walk on. But then while getting down on to the mat for Pilates practice I grazed that toe and I just collapsed the short distance to the mat. Wouldn’t you know my ‘good’ knee took my weight at an awkward angle. So Sunday my attempts at walking on it and using it to climb stairs were futile, leading to my getting x-rays yesterday. It is a little better today and my surgeon is leaving me in the line up for Friday. But unless I can climb stairs with it by Friday I’ll have to bow out.

Regardless, thank you for the well wishes and I hope I get to put them to work!

1 Like

Well that’s better. In an event with ten people we’d expect less than one vector. Still we just aren’t seeing anyone except for one recently widowed friend who is a weaver like my wife and works with her once a week in her studio. She only sees one other person for walks. That’s the only weak link in our social chain and so far so good.

My wife had a knee replacement last year in the spring, and the knee is great. What we didn’t see coming (and were not warned) was opposite side hip pain, which is not uncommon and usually not too severe.

Not so in my wife’s case. Her bad knee was from a severe injury fifty years prior and the functional leg length was as much as 4 cm shorter because of adduction of the joint. That was in the days just before prostheses came onto the scene, and so the shattered tibial plateau had to be sculpted by the orthopaed. I doubt if there was any menisci left.

So she had developed scoliosis, and with the functional leg length restored she consequently had severe opposite side sciatic pain (gluteus minimus and thigh). The orthopaedic doc was only concerned with her knee pain (which was minimal) so it was not an entirely good experience. We still use the large Ace cold compresses (‘ice packs’) two at a time, rotating through six, for pain relief. But we are thankful for them(!) – they work well.

1 Like

How is this an excellent example?

Please be specific.

From the interactive map, what is likelihood of someone having the infection in a gathering of 10? That is the same as saying that out of every ten people you meet in the county (actually only nine, because you make up the tenth) the likelihood of meeting an infected person is at least 75%.

And you don’t see a connection to masking and why everyone should be wearing one? Again, so that I don’t get one of your unjustified extrapolations from what is obviously a generalization with no details, everyone, with very few exceptions, should be wearing a mask. It’s never too late to do the right thing, but we still don’t have a mask mandate from Washington.

1 Like

How did it get started in the county? Not that masking prevents 100% of infections, but what percentage does it prevent (not to exclude the advisability of social distancing)? It also slows down an exponential rate of increase.

New today: CDC calls on Americans to wear masks to prevent COVID-19 spread

Americans are increasingly adopting the use of cloth face masks to slow the spread of COVID-19, and the latest science may convince even more to do so.

You said the situation in one county in Nebraska shows the need for a national strategy.

I asked how.

Your post does not answer.

Why did you stop at national borders? Perhaps the continent or planet’s strategy should all be dictated by one county in Nebraska.

You may keep your quibble. The evidence is obvious.

No, and you could not explain why one county in Nebraska should dictate the requirements for Northern Alaska.

And why shouldn’t the situation in a town in Northern Alaska dictate requirements in Nebraska?

Read the CDC link in that post, for starters. You just want to squabble.

If you can’t explain, that is fine.

Maybe it should, with respect to COVID-19. One of my wife’s classmates lives in Alaska, and she was here last summer.