In crisis, and suffering greatly

Dear @Brittany,

Thank you for sharing. Now you know that all of our prayers are going out for you and for your beautiful precious daughter. You are truly blessed by her and she by you.

You wrote that you were afraid that you might have ALS. I am not a doctor, so I havenoideawhe5theryouhave ALS or not. ButIcanunderstand why you are concerned because it causes people to lose partial control of their bodies.

However, Christians know God will not allow anything to happen to us that we cannot handle with His help. Do not worry about tomorrow, but make sure today’s tasks are done. God is Able to make a Way out of no way.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind welcome and assurance.

Hi, Kendel. It’s nice to “meet” you. Thank you for those bible verses. I’ll be sure to copy them down. And I’ll look up that group on Facebook. Thank you again for the recommendation and prayers.

1 Like

Hi. I had been doing pretty well for the most part about keeping my mind on the worries of today. But yesterday I started feeling anxious and everything just snowballed. Thank you for reminding me that God wouldn’t give us anything we couldn’t handle. And thank you for the kind words about my daughter. I love her very much and I am blessed to have her.

1 Like

This verse came up today, and it was an important one to me when I was in a monthslong crisis thirty years ago:

Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
Isaiah 46:4

(He did rescue me, through a series of remarkable co-instances, and I’m in my geezerhood and gray now. ; - )

Also remember that the most frequent mandate in the Bible is “Do not be afraid” or one of its several variations – “Fear not!”, “Be anxious for nothing”, “Fret not”, and the like.

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear
1 John 4:18

It’s not our perfect love! It is our Father’s, if you belong to him, and he only does what is good for both him and us. So whenever I catch myself being anxious about anything, I can go crawl up on Father’s lap even when court is in session in the throne room, so to speak, and his strong arms will comfort me and shield me.

4 Likes

Brittany…thanks so much for sharing this with people here.
A common misconception that we have (at a certain point in life) is that everything should be easy …but it’s not. And you are honest about your situation. Unexpected things happen and our well-laid plans are foiled by any number of things.
All I can say is that I know only those things that that I have faced. A college roommate of mine (from looooong ago) developed MS after marriage and decided to go ahead with having children “anyway.” She lived to see three kids and eleven grandchildren, travelled overseas for work multiple times in spite of it.
But that was her story. You might benefit from reading the writings of someone like Joni Eareckson Tada…I don’t know if you have heard her story but she became quadriplegic in her late teens and is 70+ now…has a ministry, survived cancer, and so forth. Just from what you have shared, I know that she has “been there done that” and would be a good source.

Try www.joniandfriends.org…they have retreats and daily devotionals from Joni (just google the website).

I suspect she would be a good source.

And you should be able to find her books pretty easily.

And I do not know what church you attend, but SOMEONE there likely “knows what you are talking about.” They may not be 28 years old — but who knows? Contact the church office and just ask away.
Also ask THEM for prayer.
And as for people on this forum…there are all kinds!! That’s the beauty of the internet.
And yes, I will pray for you. Others will too.

1 Like

Pax Christi Brittany,

I’m sorry that I don’t have an answer for the horrors you and your daughter are going through. I will be sure to pray for you.

2 Likes

That is a beautiful verse you shared. Thank you for that. I copied to a note on my phone so that I can come back to it. I haven’t memorized Bible verses since I was a child. But I think that’s one I’ll try to memorize. I appreciate you thinking of me and counseling me.

2 Likes

I thought of you immediately when I saw this – we have a continuous choice what we pay attention to, so it’s kinda important:

Joy & Strength

(A daily reading can help keep your mind in the right place, too.)

4 Likes

The timing of our posts is interesting – almost simultaneous, and it’s the first I’ve been on today. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi. Thank you for the recommendations. And thank you for the reminder to find a church. I got busy and forgot just that quickly. I’m going to call my old church and see if they’re still meeting. If not, I guess I have some window shopping to do this Sunday.

2 Likes

Wow, that is so crazy. When I was writing my response to you I noticed there was a symbol saying you were replying. What a coincidence. This is the first I’ve gotten on today too!

1 Like

Do it on Saturday so you know where and when to be. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Regulars here will know that ‘coincidence’ has been replaced in my vocabulary by ‘co-instants’ and ‘co-instance(s)’, meaning not a chance, and whenever someone says “Good luck!” to me, my reply is typically “Do you mean that in the strict theological sense of the word?” :laughing:

1 Like

I love this passage. She’s so astute and gets right to the heart of our fears. That’s amazing writing. I looked it up and I’m going to buy the book on Amazon. It works out because I was just thinking yesterday that I should do a daily devotional. I didn’t know where to start though because there are so many. So this is right on time. Thank you

1 Like
1 Like

That’s really profound. It makes me think of how a thousand years is as a day to God. Time is such a funny thing.

1 Like

And God’s timing is always perfect. He is not limited to our linear sequential time! The providential sequences in Maggie’s and Rich Stearns’ accounts demonstrate that well, and I have a ‘Co-instants Log’ for events in my own life that I’ve been keeping for close to four decades, with retrospective entries for a couple of decades before that.

Very true! I’ve always thought that God stands outside and isn’t subject to time.

2 Likes

Sounds good… and I would hope that your “old church” is still meeting…but yes, you can window shop…or call churches up and interview their secretaries over the phone…and when you go, you can always get more detailed about specific ministries or support groups — also some “small groups” should exist for singles or for moms or moms with preschoolers etc…maybe even your doctor office or hospital (???) would know of support mechanisms and groups for your situation. You are not the only one!

2 Likes