"I don't have to quarantine after travel because God told me so..."

I had Covid. I have no idea how or when I contracted it. Fortunately it was a mild case although I still have lingering and persistent effects from it, including total loss of smell and fatigue.
My biggest learning from this virus was how terrified I was after receiving my positive diagnosis that I could pass it on to those around me without ever knowing it. The stark realization that my actions could inadvertently harm those around me around me was worse than unsettling.
To not quarantine, wear a mask, or socially distance, IMHO, displays a complete disregard for those around us and a completely new level of narcissism. It is completely inconsistent with ā€œlove your neighborā€ as commanded by Jesus.

11 Likes

Theyā€™re not lying Mi. They believe what theyā€™re saying. We all kid ourselves.

1 Like

Itā€™s difficult to ascertain other peopleā€™s motivations, and something we try to avoid here. But I do think there is a difference between outright lying and saying something that may not be true but is genuinely believed by the person saying it.

Perhaps Iā€™m a bit cynical of the whole ā€œGod told meā€ culture within some churches, but I may have just seen the worst examples of that phrase being used as a means to shut down questions or critical inquiry, so Iā€™m very skeptical in general, especially coming from a person I donā€™t know.

4 Likes

Aye Laura. In my experience all things are concurrently, paradoxically, shifting with the wind true : ) A friendā€™s little girl, when asked did she eat the cake that she was forbidden to eat, said ā€˜Uh fink soā€™, all covered in icing. I like that. Itā€™s the best that can be hoped for.

The following is not in reference to you in any way, I am just taking this statement and thought about affecting others by our actions.

From personal experience and observation, I have seen as I am sure we all have, the sinful actions of those who profess Christ as Lord affect others. As an example, I had posted on another thread about some who profess Christ are entertained by wicked and worldly entertainment. Think of the spirit behind the TV shows, movies, music and books that the world creates. It is godless and motivated by the spirit of this age. If it is not of Christ, itā€™s no part of Him. Shows are filled with hatred, bitterness, gossip, malicious activity, murder, fornication, adultery, all sorts of sexual perversion, covetousness, greed and all the works of the flesh. If we watch and enjoy these things we are in step with the spirit of this age. It not only offends God, puts us to sleep spiritually, but it also shows those around us that this is acceptable. Those who have children are teaching them that these wicked things are acceptable to do. So by being entertained by the world, we inadvertently harm those around us. This is more deadly than any virus, for it is through receiving and entertaining the works of the flesh that a person is subdued by sin and becomes a slave to it.

Are we more concerned and vocal about a virus that only kills the body but not so much concerned about sin that destroys a soul. This present world needs Kingdom of God ambassadors that are preaching, repent from sin and submit to Jesus as your Lord. It appears the whole world is vocal about this virus but not about repentance and faith toward the Father and the Son. Only in them is there everlasting life. Therefore, be strong and courageous, and proclaim the Good News. Christ is risen, Jesus is Lord. Repent and fully rely on Him and you will be made safe (saved).

If it were really true that this body is of such little consequence, then I guess the ā€˜murderā€™ you profess to be so against above wouldnā€™t be such a big deal, right? But I think you know better. We are to care for our neighbors (no matter their age or vulnerability ā€¦ or as Christians we should add ā€¦ especially those who are vulnerable). So perhaps we should all pray that you might be brought to repentance for taking such a cavalier attitude with the lives of others that you are called by Christ to care for.

Indeed ā€¦ Lord, strengthen our resolve to have mercy on all just as we wish for you to have mercy with us.

2 Likes

I have a beef with the NIV (and some others) translation of Psalm 15:2. It uses the colloquial ā€œfromā€ the heart, but what is actually being addressed is self-talk and speaking the truth to oneself. There are all kinds and degrees of lying to yourself (and myself).

I wasnt speaking in a negative manner about caring for our neighbors in reference to the virus. I was incouraging others to be sure to let that carry over into other areas that affect the very soul of our neighbors.

Taking care of our neighbors physically does affect souls. Jesus did not always preach a sermon when he helped someone, and oftentimes very few words. (Were there times when he used no words?)

4 Likes

That is true.

1 Like

Insomuch as this virus has ravaged the world physically, economically, morally, and spiritually it is my position that it deserves our attention because the need is immediate. When you have this virus the reality that you are carrying something in your body that absolutely will infect those around you if immediate measures are not taken, it changes your mindset dramatically. You could personally be the very reason someoneā€™s life ends because you refuse to take the necessary measures to prevent spread. That was a burden I took dead serious by isolating and taking all recommended actions within my own home. To that end, God blessed everyone around me by not letting the affects of Covid to spread beyond me.

Without being cavalier, the prurient nature of social media, TV, or other entertainment mediums pales in comparison to the urgency of our responsibility as creatures beloved by God to do everything in our power to prevent the spread of the virus. Being unwilling to do this because you think it some massive conspiracy, some god will protect you from, or an assault on your civil rights is simply, IMO, empty rhetoric that dismisses the commandment that the Lord gave to Love Your Neighbor.

2 Likes

Maybe the wedding in Cana? No one except for Mary and the servants involved with the huge jars knew what was involved. So the wordless ā€˜evangelismā€™ was to the servants?

1 Like

That idea is so completely silly. The advocates of that should maybe please drive on the left side of the road to assert their rights and demonstrate their freedumb from oppressive government regulation.

2 Likes

The point is, are people as concerned about spreading sin.

No, that is not the point. The point is about loving your neighbor. (The Good Samaritan had it easy. The man on the side of the road was unconscious, presumably. :grin:)

1 Like

Dont fear that which can onky kill the body, but fear that which can kill the soul.
Sureley you cant be missing my point.

They have to be alive to hear any Good News, bro. 'tis you who are missing the point.

3 Likes

And it brings disrepute* upon the faith and its Founder to behave so foolishly and irresponsibly. Please stop neglecting the first petition in the Lordā€™s Prayer.

*As does militant YECism.

1 Like

In response to the title and OPā€¦

maybe God wants to reduce the population of some groups of people. :smiling_imp:

My point was not how we should act because of the virus, so get your mind off of that. My point was do we have as much concern over affecting others by following the ways of the flesh. If someone insulted your wife because of her faith in Jesus would you beat them up or tell them the Gospel. At work are you so careful not to walk in the flesh at all so that you will not infect your fellow employees with your actions. With your family do you abstain from watching entertainment that is produced by people who are spiritually dead and write shows that are instep with the flesh, do you care enough for your family that you wouldnā€™t want them to be infected by such wickedness. In your interactions with your neighbors do you act in any fleshly manner that would not show the character of Christ, thereby infecting them with more of this worlds ways. Are you as mindful and careful to walk in the full armor of God to present Christ to them and to be a light in the darkness as you are to wear a mask to protect them from the virus.

Again, I am not saying how a person should act in reference to the virus, I am saying, are people as concerned about living a Spirit filled life as much as they are living a Covid free life. This is not about Covid, it is about having the same intensity of living a holy life in all aspects as the intensity you have in your dealings with Covid. Can you understand my point?