Humor in Science and Theology

I just threw up a little in my mouth. Driving on the wrong side of the road is hard enough without this sort of madness. And don’t even get me started on the towering hedgerows growing right up to the edge of the road on both sides of two-lane roads. Suicide.

1 Like

I was rounding a tight and narrow lefthand curve in Wales with stone walls right up to the pavement on either side. At that moment, a large and long tour bus was coming the other way with the middle of the bus very definitely over on my side of the center (picture a chord in your junior high geometry lesson). As I put the left front fender right up to the wall, my wife says, in a remarkably calm voice, “You’re awfully close over here.” When I get out to inspect the damage to the rental car, all I could find was a small hedge-sized leaf from foliage on the wall in the crack between the headlight assembly and the quarter panel. I think it was an angel’s wing. Whew! (I did have scuffs from curbs on the left-side wheel covers before we were finished our 10-day B&B jaunt, though. Our far and away favorite stay was Dethick Manor.)

1 Like

When I first drove there was in the early 70s. I remember making a left turn into the right lane and finding myself nose to nose with a car at a stop sign… in his left lane, of course. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I can just about hear the driver muttering “Bloody Yank!” :grin:

2 Likes

Had a very similar experience going from this garden to this walled garden/BnB owned and operated by someone I’d gotten to know on flickr where we would stay a few days. I thought it would be fun to pass through Dartmoor national park on the way. Got into trouble where where the road wound down a ravine to the right and then back up the other side to the left. As I got toward the bottom I saw a large bus coming down from other direction. The road wasn’t really large enough for both of us. I edged into the hedge on the left, clearing the bus by a whisker. Unfortunately, the hedge was hiding some jagged rock on the road’s edge which took out one tire. So we called for a tow truck and arrived to our lodging around midnight. Our host was very helpful. By the time we woke up he’d found a place that carried the tire we needed and had the bad tire off the car. After breakfast he drove us there and insisted on putting the tire on when we got back. He was a saint and the lodging was the best we stayed in. (Of course we also stayed one night at a YMCA in Bristol so everything is relative. Spartan comes close.)

2 Likes

Noah lost that Euro Pozidriv screwdriver, and kept on stripping the screw heads with his Phillips driver. He also had a fist full of dowels at the end, so hope for the best.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Which is better, 1…or 2?

1 Like

After 60+ years of eye exams I just discovered there was a third option, “same”.

4 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

Remember this situation from last year? “Princess Bride” version made me smile

1 Like

5 Likes

Take your pet to work day

1 Like

I wonder what the cat is thinking. From its eyes I could suggest a few choice phrases (probably containing a selection of non-alphanumeric characters :wink:).

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes

Not altogether unlike the fate of kitty, above.

1 Like