Humor in Science and Theology

Have you heard the good news? Today has arrived! Let us rejoice.

4 Likes

This meme came up on my Facebook feed as something I must have shared a few years ago. It is a little early in the season for it but maybe this will get the festivities started? I agree with all of this, BTW:

Being an atheist is okay.
Being an atheist and shaming religions and spirituality as silly and not real is not okay.

Being a Christian is okay.
Being a homophobic, misogynistic, racist or otherwise hateful person in the name of Christianity is not okay.

Being a reindeer is okay.
Bullying and excluding another rreindeer because it has a shiny red nose is not okay.

5 Likes

True. However, Iā€™m not sure that all parties involved are agreed on which ā€˜dayā€™ it is. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

10 Likes

A year ago, we taught our kids to cough to cover up a fart. In pandemic times, we reversed that.

5 Likes

Meme I just saw on Facebook written over the black and white image of Rod Sterling from The Twilight Zone:

Imagine a world in which Youtube, Twitter and Facebook merge to become known as ā€œYou TwitFaceā€

4 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s pretty funny. :grin:

3 Likes

2 Likes

My wife saw this and shared it with me on Facebook. Hopefully this wonā€™t be offensive for anyone. I can predict some who will like it as much as I do. Here goes:

There were 3 good arguments that Jesus was Black:

1. He called everyone brother

2. He liked Gospel

3. He didnā€™t get a fair trial

But then there were 3 equally good arguments that Jesus was Jewish:

1. He went into His Fatherā€™s business

2. He lived at home until he was 33

3. He was sure his Mother was a virgin and his Mother was sure He was God

But then there were 3 equally good arguments that Jesus was Italian:

1. He talked with His hands

2. He had wine with His meals

3. He used olive oil

But then there were 3 equally good arguments that Jesus was a Californian:

1. He never cut His hair

2. He walked around barefoot all the time

3. He started a new religion

But then there were 3 equally good arguments that Jesus was an American Indian:

1. He was at peace with nature

2. He ate a lot of fish

3. He talked about the Great Spirit

But then there were 3 equally good arguments that Jesus was Irish:

1. He never got married.

2. He was always telling stories.

3. He loved green pastures.

But then there were 3 equally good arguments that Jesus was Mexican:

1. He treated his mama like she was a saint.

2. He always wore llantas and a serape.

3. He was a carpenter who could fix anything.

But the most compelling evidence of all - 3 proofs that Jesus was a woman:

1. He fed a crowd at a momentā€™s notice when there was virtually no food

2. He kept trying to get a message across to a bunch of men who just didnā€™t get it

3. And even when He was dead, He had to get up because there was still work to do

7 Likes

I wasnā€™t sure whether this belonged here or on the Creation Photos thread. Given the low fun/ high effort given to human babies, I figured it was safer here.

Cats are definitely less effort than dogs but I assume there will be controversy about them being less fun than dogs. And I know, given the popularity of scifi here, that the dragons high rating would not be controversial.

4 Likes

The scientific method:

Aristotleā€™s inductive reasoning:

The following is, I imagine, my 12 year old sonā€™s temptation when studying math from home:

I can sympathize.

2 Likes

4 Likes

That middle cartoon reminded me of an old jokeā€¦

Whatā€™s the difference between a zoo in Louisiana & a zoo anywhere else?

At a zoo anywhere else, outside the animalā€™s enclosure thereā€™s a plaque with its common name, and underneath that is its Latin genus & species name.

At a zoo in Louisiana, thereā€™s a plaque with the animalā€™s common name, and underneath that isā€¦a recipe.

4 Likes

Love it! :grin: (So does my wife. :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

@SkovandOfMitaze

From what I understand, it looks like this could apply to L.A. (Lower Alabama :slightly_smiling_face:) as well, no?

1 Like

As a paleontologist, itā€™s no surprise to get random calls and emails wanting me to tell someone that the rock from their yard is a dinosaur bone. Maybe itā€™s a perk of being Natural Sciences department chair, but Iā€™m not too sure why I got this one:
"Yes Sir, I was wondering if you might call me back at XXX-XXX-XXXX and ask for Richard. Pretty much developed a real simple way to release oxygen on Mars. And I think I need to get somebody who might be able to implement it. "

2 Likes

Ha! One of the hazards of having people think that because you are knowledgable in one area, you must be knowledgable in everything else. After all, its all science. Of course, that leads to people thinking actors and political hacks are knowledgable about vaccinesā€¦

4 Likes

My career wound up being in medical electronics at a hospital, and early on before high tech consumer products became pretty much disposables, a good number of people wanted my help because they thought I could fix anything in ten minutes or less without a schematic.

1 Like

You could probably fix a lot, though

1 Like