Humor in Science and Theology

Not strictly science, but apropos of evolutionary (and Christian) psychology!

4 Likes

I hope this sort of humor isn’t too ungracious. Perhaps you’d have to be raised in my family to find it funny. I couldn’t get the original cartoon to print so I’ve just described what you’d see:

One shows an 1800s looking guy talking to two young ladies. He asks: “U two girls from England?”

The girls say “Wales”.

So he asks “u two whales from England?”

3 Likes

Another groaner:

My child does not like to eat meat. What can I replace it with?

The response: A dog. Every dog eats meat.

5 Likes

What do you call a man who pretends to come from Sweden?
An artificial Swedener.

4 Likes

How not to wrote a scientific paper (or how to start a conspiracy theory):

2 Likes

8 Likes

4 Likes

I should not forget church bulletin bloopers. My 12 year old was reading these aloud the other day and couldn’t stop laughing.

2 Likes

Some of those remind me of a friend who was substituting for the regular pianist at a church I went to years ago. For a postlude, she played what she was thinking of as the tune to “Now let every tongue adore thee”. But the tune originally was for the hymn “Sleepers awake”, or Wachet Auf, from which Bach wrote his beautiful chorale prelude (one of my favorite pieces of music!).

So of course I had to give her a hard time (more than once :slightly_smiling_face:) about playing “Wake up” after a sermon. :grin:

3 Likes

Need some help here. Anyone else think this is funny or does it take a … you know?

3 Likes

Definitely some irony there. (I need someone to explain your ellipsis. :grin:)

I was thinking there were too many possibilities to go with just one: left-coaster, liberal, atheist, etc.

Meanwhile here is a joke from the weird novel I’m reading:

Q: Why couldn’t the Buddhist vacuum in corners?

A: She had no attachments.

3 Likes

Christians are not to grasp things tightly, either.

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21

We are to value above all the most valuable thing in the universe, the Source, God himself. That is not to say that friendships, for instance, are not valuable, but friendship with God is more so. And of course we can take pleasure in other things as well.

1 Like

And the Buddhist ordering a hot dog: “Make me one with everything.”

5 Likes

Without resistance, saying “Ohm… mmmmmmmm”.

And when the Buddhist hands the hotdog vendor a bill, the vendor just takes it and proceeds to help the next customer. The Buddhist clears his throat and asks, aren’t you going to give me my change? Vendor’s reply: “change comes from within.”

4 Likes

But in Spanish, “Take my yoke” becomes “Take my Yugo”. Of course, if Jesus had a Yugo, he’d end up walking a lot anyway.

5 Likes

I would take exception to a psychologist diagnosing allergies, and would dx Happy as Delusional, but other than that…

5 Likes

No argument – I’m delusional. :grin:

Court of A-peels ( Genesis 3:4 )

“To such restrictive rules, do not cling!

Eat of this! To you it will bring

Wondrous insight

From one little bite!

It’s the peach that passeth understanding.”

Anyone wanting 133 pages of this stuff, let me know.

5 Likes