Humor in Science and Theology

Being a hot near summer day, and to supplement our discussions on the nature of hell:
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/34382034_350058182185459_1211510609485496320_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeG3Q6uUqMy7pK81vErhFG09PEojuR3SoioYEwsbvIoTi11Qp7oITkWSy9-DAH_jaMxn5Gt0wrV8l3GRVjRPYiDiIkAVeNwprY1ZGb2SP_S-RQ&oh=c28fa72a7e7cc0236380d163a2ee46ec&oe=5B80BA09

1 Like

This one made me giggle.

12 Likes

Is he actually smoking a pipe? ā€¦ Never mind. I guess nobodyā€™s going to post any no-smoking signs in hell.

Regarding the swine situations in Canada and Mexico, maybe itā€™s pretty urgent we invest in border walls after all!

I bet those are just domestic hogs. Wild hogs around here outnumber the domestic variety by a bunch. And remember to never wrestle with a pig, as you will get dirty, and the pig likes it. (I would give an attribute to that saying, but evidently everyone and no one said it.). Still, there certainly a lot of hog farms in mid-America. Something is not Kosher about that.

1 Like

Here is another recent submission from the Babylon Bee :slight_smile:

http://babylonbee.com/news/creationists-cite-mike-trout-as-indisputable-proof-of-intelligent-design/

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to try my hand at this too if I can figure out the formatting. Wouldnā€™t be surprised if it has already been posted - and that reminds me I could always go back to the beginning of this thread and find out. Thanks to Doonesbury for this gem.

8 Likes

Great! ā€œSunday creationistā€ is a new term to me, but very descriptive!

https://pastorchrisjordan.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/calvin-hobbes-science-the-male-mind.png?w=640

4 Likes

5 Likes

As an adherent of that faith I am deeply offended. How do I alert a mod to this desecration? That little boy and his litigious tiger should be banned.:wink:Tongue firmly in cheek.

5 Likes

Ah come now! As an ecumenical math teacher I try to keep a ā€œbig tentā€ in my math classrooms. We have room for doubters and even the occasional atheist. (Okay ā€“ Iā€™ll admit to being more conservative as Iā€™m grading exams, so I guess there is that.) But we should try to be a seeker friendly math environment, right? :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Well ā€¦ I suppose his doubts and ignorance are real enough ā€¦ which is more than I can say for the tiger. Okay, sure. Why not? They can stay. After all they are amusing.

1 Like

Nothing to do with theology, but science involved in my favorite Calvin strip of all time:

Or maybe seeing things in black and white does impact theology, a bit.

5 Likes

As an older brother I enjoyed the same things as Calvinā€™s dad. As a stepdad and math teacher I mostly had gotten it out of my system, with perhaps one exception.

I taught middle school math for 25 years. Every year Kaiser would present a small play to raise kids awareness of the danger of AIDS at the end of which weā€™d hand out little puberty pamphlets with more information and help lines on it. There was this one student Tom who made teaching fun. He was very bright, witty and socially adept. I was handing the pamphlets out at the door and everyone dutifully took theirs until Tom put up his hand and said ā€œoh, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll need one of those Mr Delepineā€. In one of those rare moments when you think of what you wish you had said in time I answered ā€œmaybe not now, Tom, but what if you come into puberty next year?ā€ He gave me a very satisfying ā€œyou got meā€ and his friends enjoyed seeing how well he could take a jest, already knowing how quick he could hand them out. His mom substituted for the school secretary whenever she had to be out and she or I would laugh over this story many times over the years.

3 Likes

Since we have copied Calvin and Hobbs a lot, thought you might enjoy this authorā€™s series on the theology of Calvin and Hobbes, he has a lot of other interesting blog topics also:

4 Likes

As long as weā€™ve moved to math humor, my kids adore this parody song. ALGEBRA! "It's such a pain learning Algebra!" TOTO, Africa Parody - YouTube

3 Likes

Announcement:

Iā€™m not changing my religion today. And no action is required on your part.

3 Likes

I think C S Lewis said that he couldnā€™t make a column of 4 different figures add up the same way, twice.
I feel a kinship with him.