Humor in Science and Theology

Not very gracious, but sort of science and refers to a theologian…

2 Likes

6 Likes

I sent this to the office yesterday…
Image%20from%20iOS%20(1)

5 Likes

The ANTocalypse! :rofl: Thanks for sharing!

On an asidex I had a YEC tell me once that insect death pre-fall wasn’t an issue. There reasons was that life is in the blood (Leviticus 18:11) and they argued that Insect blood is not like other animal blood. Therefore, they suggested The Bible probably didn’t consider insects to be ‘alive’ in the way other animals are.

4 Likes

My book about my journey from atheism to faith through science contains a number of humorous fables. I was a bit worried how the publisher (Kregel) would react, since they are fairly conservative. The editor said they were fine (after I removed a couple of overly blasphemous parts) but was worried about how the marketing dept. would react. Marketing loved them, but was concerned that editorial might object. So they stayed in (publication is in November). Is there a lesson here about orthodoxy and perceptions?

2 Likes

Not sure if this is in the direction you are pointing, but it does seem my more fundamentalist/literalist friends have a markedly different sense of humor. Those who see things in black and white seem not to see the humor of conflicting positions and irony.

1 Like

I think that’s true. But I was also amused that two groups each thought the other would be concerned about a breach of orthodoxy, although they themselves weren’t. I think that goes to the point that sometimes we make unwarranted assumptions about what people think about a specific issue, based on what we think they think about things in general. Or something.

3 Likes

Not being familiar with publishing culture, I would have to assume the stereotype of marketing being a bit looser and free spirited assumed the stereotypic stuffy editors would object, and the editors actually were more concerned about the effect the humor would have on marketing. Interesting. Perhaps there is a lesson there about not making assumptions, and being yourself.

2 Likes

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/71820831_2699456833432203_5323728236746637312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&_nc_oc=AQmqzh1tNmDpkckN7GGRvimDhWU0YWzLq5qttYvZj5l-lUZUT1AeHkkCSr33BDZnutc&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=a9bbc2b1ecabec37bb5b636ccf9f47de&oe=5E38D903

1 Like

http://thepetersonsplace.com/dave/Fun/denominations.html

How many from each denomination it takes to change a lightbulb–lighthearted; a bit more extensive list than one I posted last year.

4 Likes

Nice. And for many of our faith traditions there might need to be a potluck involved as well.

2 Likes

Not sure if this one has been posted yet, but it always makes me chuckle.

11 Likes

Not sure if this will be too racy or not but I suspect someone will appreciate it. I just saw it as a meme on Fb with the comment by the poster that this is why every church needs at least one millennial on the board. In case this image doesn’t show the whole banners, going down, they read Worship, Teaching and Friends.

4 Likes

That’s as bad as the church elders who decided to encourage heightened stewardship and giving in their church by being good examples of generosity themselves, and unveiling their new slogan in front of the congregation: “We upped our pledges. Up yours!

7 Likes

Fun song for you Enneagrammers:

2 Likes

I can’t take full credit for this one, because it was set up so perfectly for me:

4 Likes

I wish I knew something about the system so I could better appreciate what seems like some pretty choice punning. Still, a catchy tune and even without knowing much (cough, anything) about enneagrams you get a sense of what the personality profile for some of the numbers must be. I wonder if, as with horoscopes, people get to have more than one number … perhaps a rising number or moon number.

Wish I still had the photo–a small hospital I worked at used to keep a sign saying, “Knock Before Entering,” on the door of the morgue!

1 Like

A little joke I saw from a Christian meme page I follow.
babel%20meme

5 Likes

Adam and Eve having their first picnic after the fall…
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/72329963_1621514811318358_5055428570432667648_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&_nc_oc=AQnVWYrHH_DtzlMruEImOpQPnvC2pB8OaUApDWbQw4CQATC2A62476jUJ4V-t_eNmQU&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=743c7bb6182c1a3b97320d947743b5c3&oe=5E2E9F1F

6 Likes