Humor in Science and Theology

For a long time now I’ve wanted a bumper sticker that says “Put the coke back in Coke”.
We ran the numbers once and to get the same amount of cocaine from an original Coke as for a mild hit it would be necessary to drink somewhere around 5k bottles.

3 Likes

There are more arrows coming down from the bubble with words than there are singers.

There’s an invisible alien.

4 Likes

What, did they try to simply walk into Mordor?

6 Likes

Challenge accepted… FOR SCIENCE!

6 Likes

That sounds sort of like what I worked out about my mouthwash: the water would poison you before the active ingredient would (It’s not alcoholic, so that wouldn’t affect the toxicity).

4 Likes

This wouldn’t work very well around here. More likely would be “Which salt?”.
xkcd: Salt Dome

4 Likes

If one used the other kind of coke, it would probably end up as “Tastes burnt and is more filling” (and is about equally toxic). Coke would probably provide too many nucleation sites for gas bubbles, though.

2 Likes

Just change the species:

from my maternal grandfather:

Through the teeth and over the gums,
watch out, stomach! Here it comes!

or, from my uncle in the Navy:

Good bread, good meat – Good God, let’s eat!

2 Likes

[mouseover text: It maintains odor levels in a normal, familiar range, so if you open the windows and the air gets too fresh, it filters it through some dirty laundry samples to compensate]
xkcd: Air Handler

3 Likes

I’d put “Muppets” – after all, there is an Animal!

It doesn’t so much extinguish for me as melt and run all over – the whole thing ends up looking like someone swirled the colors all around.

I’ve come back to this five times now and sat here trying to figure it out and I give up.
What’s the joke?

In most vampire movies and books presenting a crucifix to a vampire makes it physically recoil in pain.* In many fonts, a lowercase ‘t’ looks like a crucifix with a tail.

*Paging @SkovandOfMitaze who can probably explain the lore better than I.

1 Like

It’s basically just that. Vampires are mostly monsters portrayed within American films. Or at least the majority of ones people watch. So the t is supposed to remind you of a cross. Same reason why early vampires could not cross over moving ( living baptismal waters ) or enter a house without permission ( the strongman must be invited verse ) or step on to holy grounds. It’s that Christ as the light in darkness drives away vampires.

So basically the joke is that if you never heard of Jesus, then you would not know really the Christian significance of a cross , which would mean you would be confused why does this cross looking t hurt you.

But a handful of films mock this this with scenes of Jewish, Buddhist or Muslim vampires being shown a cross and just laughing at it but being harmed by something within their culture which has in return lead to some moving past the cross trope as a symbolism for the authority of Christ and more into the matter of just strong faith. There is even a scene where a little kid is kept safe from a vampire who can’t approach them because they are holding up a teddy bear and for that child, he has complete faith that his stuff animal , who is mixed with his imaginary friend, will keep him safe.

3 Likes

That’s a great twist on the trope. Reminded me of this image from back in the day:

https://i.imgur.com/tRNfh.jpeg

5 Likes

I automatically started comparing final letters on different words. The final “s” isn’t always the same not is the final “d”. And the “h” on the end of “with” in two different lines don’t match, either.

Yes I admit to finding this the least bit funny though weak as serious criticism.

Imgur

Reminds me of the director of a Christian study center in Oregon: he named his dog Caleb, which is Hebrew for “dog”.

“Read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them” is a phrase that can be found in most catholic traditions. A lady from a Greek Orthodox church baked a birthday cake for a Lutheran priest that not only looked like a Bible but had tissue-thin pastry layers in imitation of the thin paper many old Bibles used. So of course he had to add a prayer asking God to aid them in “inwardly digesting this blessing”.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a sophisticated font with slightly different letters that can be swapped in based on an algorithm. :crazy_face: