Humor in Science and Theology

Lead reminds me of acid reminds me of Aunty.

4 Likes

Sadly when I was at university there was a Christian men’s co-op with fifty guys, and they got concerned about unity at one point. Their “solution” was to exclude anyone older than average, anyone who had started at a community college and then came to the university, anyone who hadn’t played a sport in high school – and unstated was anyone not white, which they carried out by requiring all applicants to attach a recent photo to their application. Also unstated was that anyone who wouldn’t be able to afford the coast of the quarterly “retreats”‡ – events that when first begun were focused on building relationships, Bible study about living together, and discussion of how to have an impact on campus but within two or three years of the start of one of the retreats became almost exactly like fraternity events except without alcohol – got sent to the bottom of the stack.

‡ the application had a section for asking for financial assistance to live at the house

Nice.

This seems like a helpful summary:

[mouseover text: It’s very hard to detect, but recent studies have determined that when plasma B cells are producing antibodies, they go “pew pew pew”.]

xkcd: Lymphocytes

4 Likes

That diagram would have been very helpful in hematology class.

4 Likes

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve posted this above sometime before in eons past, but it seems it would fit nicely again here (one wonders if it was photoshopped*, but it could be real – stranger things have happened):

*http://imageedited.com/ can’t tell.

6 Likes

We each do take up space in a finite universe after all! So it makes sense that some would want us to pre-pay.

3 Likes

This could really throw a monkeywrench in our recent anti-natalism discussion. :wink:

2 Likes

My view is that we’ll each get back our body when it was in the best physical condition.

When I was growing up the answer would have been 200 or so – that’s all the items we would have had.

Small world.

Some with said it would be “Holiday” if physics was fun.
So I used magic tape and carefully changed mine.

2 Likes

I’d settle for getting back my body when it was in optimal operating condition for the duration of this life … even if I have to use it more sparingly and do much more regular maintenance. :wink:

1 Like

For all the professors out there:

13 Likes

:heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart::heart_eyes: :heart:
I wonder if I could get an Rx (that includes insurance coverage) for a really boring lecture class on something I don’t care about. These days, I don’t care much WHEN I can get some sleep. Just good Lord, let me get some MORE sleep than I’m getting now.

1 Like

I’ve heard that if a CD8+T cells score a critical hit they become a 2CD8+T cell… :game_die:

2 Likes

8 Likes

More than 90 actually! I think the postman was being just a bit obtuse.

4 Likes

That makes you acutely sensitive. :roll_eyes: Or OCD? :grin:

2 Likes

I am jealous of my daughter whose diploma from Rice is on a real sheepskin. And yes, they offer a vegetarian option at graduation.

5 Likes