Humor in Science and Theology

6 Likes

With the Ark settled safely after the flood, Noah opens the doors and commands the animals, “Go forth and multiply!” All the animals depart the Ark, except for two snakes in the back. Noah proclaims again, “Go forth and multiply,” yet the snakes stay put. Perturbed, Noah finally asks them, “Why have you not followed my command?” The snakes flicker their tongues and answer, “We can’t multiply, Noah—we’re Adders.”

(I can hear the groans…)

8 Likes

[I removed the Pontius Puddle strips I had posted here, since I noticed there is a fee for their use on web sites. You can Google the comic to see them on the official site.]

1 Like

I like it! I’m going to share that with my son. My wife got a kick out of it. For some reason, it doesn’t down load unless I click on it–but great illustration of how need drives character.

1 Like

Just google ‘Pontius Puddle’ and then click on the ‘Images for Pontius Puddle’ link … and then peruse to heart’s content. I downloaded it from there.

[I removed the Pontius Puddle strips I had posted here, since I noticed there is a fee for their use on web sites. You can Google the comic to see them on the official site.]

1 Like

Anyone who has ever seriously considered Quantum Mechanics, General Relativity, and what happens to the ice-cream that slips down the outside of a Minkowski Cone, will realise that the present cannot be a precise instant because of the quantum uncertainties involved in measuring any distances of 10^-43 light-seconds or less.

Within that distance things – even time – get smudged; for, as I like to phrase it, our Creator, who keeps all things in being, is a bit short-sighted, hence things get a bit fuzzy close up; very precisely fuzzy, though, so we can calculate from Heisenberg’s mis-named Uncertainty Principle the precise strength of reading glasses He needs; opthalmologist Dr Richard Dawkins has now come up with a figure of precisely +3.14159265358979323846 dioptres, suggests He has been drinking so much He’s permanently pi-eyed, (which explains the platypus) and advises Him not to take up watch­making.

2 Likes

Ahhh – so they are very strong bifocals, then!

Just because it combines thoughts from the Andy Stanley/Old Testament posts, theodicy,the YEC perspective, the multiverse, and geniological Adam ideas:

5 Likes

One perspective on pain and suffering from Princess Bride; it doesn’t capture the entire picture, but does make one think:

3 Likes

Circulating on facebook …

9 Likes

Is it bad that I am hung up on the fact that God can’t spell “of course”?

2 Likes

Translation error. I’m certain it was inerrant in the original autograph!

funny I hadn’t ever noticed that even after multiple readings.

[maybe it’s the British pronunciaion.]

1 Like

Our discussion of climate change reminded me of this one:

BetterWorld

13 Likes

Saw this posted on Facebook. Layers of meaning.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/dana/pix/Bizarro_evolution.jpg

7 Likes

Not sure I’m “getting” very many of those layers, but the situational humor and picture alone make it fun too.

Reminds me of a couple of far sides that I bet are plastered on anthropology professor doors - speaking of having fun with evolutionary misconceptions!

3 Likes

Nah they’re evolving too. A broad backside will surely make sitting on branches more comfortable.

4 Likes

1 Like

Yeah I hate places like that which think they’re too good for average guys like me.

1 Like

Oh well, one less item for my to-do list.

1 Like

4 Likes