Humor in Science and Theology

If you can find a copy, Niven and Pournelle’s version is a much (IMO) more entertaining (and easier) read!

I read and watched several youtube depictions for World Lit class so I think that I have had enough. I would like to read the purgatory and paradise ones though, some day.

The link I have above is to a blog where the writer is looking at a part of Dante’s work every Friday and adds a piece. It puts it into manageable chunks, plus I like his commentary, to give perspective.

OK, thanks!

I think this might be the correct sub-forum for this … unless science is trying to tell us something.

5 Likes

The Onion is always funny (though a little borderline at times) this one came up on one of my facebook feeds today:

4 Likes

Teaching at a Christian school in Kansas, I’m way ahead of the (parabolic) curve on this one! And I try to live what I teach too! When ever I’ve stumbled or taken a spill on my bike or tripping over something, I’ve always tried to model falling intelligently.

3 Likes

Most of the time, I get enough of a kick out of the Onion headlines that I don’t even feel the need to read the article itself. But this one… delightful all the way through! Hilarious — thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, my. This just hits the nail on the head throughout the entire story. May we have more of these to gently show us where we absolutely mess up!

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I too had stopped content at the photo and the caption. Thanks to you I went back and read the entire piece. Believe me my initial rush to reason was checked when I read:

“It’s a stain on a wall, and nothing more,” said the Rev. Clement McCoy, a professor at Oral Roberts University and prominent opponent of evolutionary theory. “Anything else is the delusional fantasy of a fanatical evolutionist mindset that sees only what it wishes to see in the hopes of validating a baseless, illogical belief system.”

2 Likes

That one certainly got the biggest chuckle out of me! That, and the sale of relics of real pieces of the Beagle! Ha! These humor writers really are talented! :joy:

1 Like

To illustrate the point, I found this but I suspect @beaglelady can do better.

Memorial carved by the carpenter of the Beagle by George Shepherd, on Flickr

2 Likes

I was away from the internet for Valentine’s Day, so this is a little belated.

10 Likes

This cracked me up:

I love how English is ‘American’

I really enjoyed this one!

4 Likes

I saw this and thought of our recent thread regarding the temperature of the earth’s core, and the general weirdness of radioactive decay:

4 Likes

I think many of you here would probably see this as more funny than blasphemous unlike those Christians the article alleges were upset at the proposed new series. The cover picture of Superman fighting someone juxtaposed with Jesus feeding someone suggests it might have been thought provoking.

3 Likes

Wow. That is very thought provoking. The argument by censorists that one would not be allowed to use Mohammed in the same role may be true, but I think that is a reflection of stifling fear rather than an advantage.

It actually would maybe carry a very positive message for my kids, who seem to copy all the violence in Marvel and absorb a very non Christian worldview from American (particularly conservative) popular culture. The response that the critics are skeptical where they haven"t read is far too often true…from evolution to Harry Potter and the Simpsons, religious popular opinion is getting such a record for getting things diametrically wrong sometimes that I don’t trust it.

5 Likes

My reaction exactly.

1 Like

It reminds me of when I hear that Jesus Christ Superstar was blasphemous. I always think to myself: but that is where I learned the Gospel of John!

6 Likes