Humor in Science and Theology

11 Likes

Vaccines are dangerous; they cause old age.

3 Likes

4 Likes

My daughter is celebrating completion of her first semester of organic chemistry by sharing a science joke I can actually comprehend.

10 Likes

Have fun :wink::

(And neither pan nor cakes is on it!)

3 Likes

5 Likes

True fact!!!

4 Likes

One way to check would be the following:
Dose it not contain q, j, or x?
Take sets of three letters in a row in the word, do all of them contain a symbol?
Can both ends of the word be constructed (no double letters other than s, e.g.)?

The vast majority of words that fulfill all three of those will work.

If one adds in fundamental particle symbols, then a few more possibilities appear: e (electron), t (top or truth quark), d (down quark), g (gluon), x, z, and w (bosons).

Another idea I have had is to turn all of the letters into units or unit prefixes, and generate a unit for the word by multiplying all of the letter units together.

1 Like

Ya don’t say?

2 Likes

Randy is on fire, btw. I’ve been in stitches reading the last week’s posts.

4 Likes

Soylent Green is a classic dystopian sci-fi movie that came out in 1973. The world is reeling from a climate catastrophe. Nothing will grow due to – greenhouse gases!

(btw, Soylent Green is people)

8 Likes

5 Likes

To each according to his gifts …

That always was cold comfort.

2 Likes

Discussion in another thread on a book by Jeanson involving @Randy , @beaglelady and @Christy made me take note of this when it came up on Facebook.

Imgur

11 Likes

It’s funny, I just got done watching a John Stossel vid talking about this!

Well he’s got me there! Next he’ll tell me that it doesn’t explain abiogenesis!

LIBERALS OWNED!!!1

1 Like

Send this to EPICALLY TROLL AND PWN the Darwinists!

1 Like

The periodic table just became my new password cypher :joy:

Edit:

I know the meme was a joke but I thought I’d do some checking since I was curious… it seems that a line of numbers for a password isn’t as strong - even if generated by chemical elements - as one might think and still can’t trump the best password generation method around → a memorable line from a favourite book.

For example, PHYSiCs produces 151391455, which looks like an impressive password but only scores a medium (3 hours to crack) on a password checker.

Whereas “In the beginning was the Word” doesn’t look that impressive a password as it has no numbers or symbols and only two uppercase letters. And yet, it scores Very High (66 million years to crack!) and has the benefit of being easier to remember.

All of this is academic to one degree, since, a password is only really as secure as the server that stores it. As this website will likely show you…

5 Likes

The length of the password means much. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa is a better password than 151391455, as far as I have understood.

The problem with long passwords is that they are more difficult to remember. A memorable line helps in remembering the password. Otherwise, you need to write the password somewhere and keep the note close to the computer you use. It makes the life of hackers easier if they can visit your working place.

The security of the server is important but the laziness of human mind is the worst weakness. Who cares to write a 100-word long password? After few attempts accompanied with writing errors, you return to the normal passwords: the name of your pet, the birthday of your child or a string with a minimum number of numbers allowed. We humans are funny animals…

4 Likes

Very true. Not to mention companies that force users to rotate passwords invite laziness. Someone who has to think of a new password every 30 days is more likely to use ‘Ninja1’ followed by ‘Ninja2’, etc.

Writing errors with memorable lines are an issue, especially if you keep the spaces and punctuation, but that is where digital books come in. Take the Bible, for example, the user only needs to remember the reference and which part of the verse is being used as the password, then copy, paste, and viola, no more errors. Plus, the chances of someone working out that you’ve used the middle section of Psalm 135:2 are pretty slim I’d wager.

This works with other books, of course, such as a favourite line from Robinson Crusoe or the first 8 words of chapter 5 from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Basically, anything you have on hand in a digital format.

4 Likes